Using Guards units in NTW1 SP Campaigns

All about the Lordz' first mod: NTW1.
Field Marshal Blücher
Esquire
Esquire

Using Guards units in NTW1 SP Campaigns

Postby Field Marshal Blücher » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:26 pm

Do you guys ever find yourselves using guards units in NTW1 SP campaigns? It just seems like, considering the following factors (for guards infantry):

1) The only thing they do better than other units is fight in melee, and the AI never seems to build any infantry tougher than Line, so regular Grenadiers are good enough and about 200 francs cheaper!
2) They are really expensive
3) They can only be built (and therefore losses only replaced) in one province
4) They get shot and die just as easily as other infantry

that they are kind of useless. Of course, it's possible that I'm not seeing something, and I also only play the NTW III campaign, so I have less money floating around, so I'm curious for other people's opinions.
Vorwärts!

Lord von Döbeln
Honourary Lord
Honourary Lord

Postby Lord von Döbeln » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:40 pm

That's why they were usually kept in reserve - they die by the bullet as easy as lesser experienced units. :wink: They do differ from other infantry units in a way which is not very significant in SP play but can be in MP play and that's that they have the SAMURAI trait, i.e. they are elite, i.e. their morale is not affected by non-elite routing units. But I do agree - in SP vs the rather crappy AI you normally don't need them much.

LvD
"Let no bastard pass the bridge!"

- General Johan August Sandels in The Tales of Ensign Stål by Johan Ludvig Runeberg

Major Hogan
Villein
Villein

Postby Major Hogan » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:56 am

On a related subject, is there a difference betwen Line Infantry in the various factions?

For example, would British Line Infantry have a faster rate of fire than others?

Would the Prussians have, say higher discipline? The Russians better Melee? The French , say, a bonus attacking more than 6 ranks deep (in column)?

Or are line infantry line infantry, no matter what coats they wear or flag they follow?
You have ambition which could be the making of you but you also have a romantic soul which could be the breaking of you. Ambition and romance is a poisonous brew, and I mean to distill the one from the other.

Lord von Döbeln
Honourary Lord
Honourary Lord

Postby Lord von Döbeln » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:42 pm

The different kinds of line infantry actually have exactly the differences you mention (Brits shoot faster, Prussians have high discipline ans their militia unit the Landwehr are almost as good as regular line, Russians have higher than normal melee for a line unit and the french recieve for 7 ranks as opposed to 5 or 6 normally etc.), so the answer to your question is no, all line infantry are NOT the same. :D This is true for all other units too, i.e. not all grenadiers are the same and not all Hussars are the same etc.
In the campaign games they cost the same to produce for each faction but their stats differ. In the MP era Field of Battles you can see the stats differences reflected in the different costs for the units though to make MP more fair (unit costs in FoB have been calculated according to a formula to take into account stats, valour upgrades etc. so you get what you pay for or pay for what you get).

LvD

- General Johan August Sandels in The Tales of Ensign Stål by Johan Ludvig Runeberg

Major Hogan
Villein
Villein

Postby Major Hogan » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:28 pm

Cool. I wondered if I was imagining things.

Is there a "unit guide" listing out the stats for each unit? I've seen similar for MTW1 on an inferior forum I won't mention by name!
You have ambition which could be the making of you but you also have a romantic soul which could be the breaking of you. Ambition and romance is a poisonous brew, and I mean to distill the one from the other.

Lord von Döbeln
Honourary Lord
Honourary Lord

Postby Lord von Döbeln » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:48 pm

There is no official stats guide but if you open the XX_exp_unit_prod.txt file in Excel you'll see the stats reasonably sorted, the most interesting ones being in the column called "Stats and general info about this trooptype" (should be column V). This also works with the PROJECTILESTATS.txt file if you want to see the stats for the different weapons used.

Make sure to make copies first and open them in Excel since inadvertant changes in file format etc will make the game crash. :wink:

LvD

Return to “Napoleonic Total War 1”