Cavalry and It's Uses

All about the Lordz' first mod: NTW1.
Dragoon8
Villein
Villein

Cavalry and It's Uses

Postby Dragoon8 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:55 pm

I was wondering how others use cavalry during a typical battle? I tend to let my infantry and artillery hammer away at the enemy for most of the battle until they flee the field then I sick my cavalry on them. I like doing it this way because I usually kill off most of the enemy and don?t have much to deal with for the ensuing siege. I have used cuirassier and grenadier charges early on but that tends to cause the enemy to scatter and I sustain what I deem to be unnecessary losses to my elite troops. What do other?s do? I do love a good cavalry charge though! I also really enjoy watching my infantry fully engaged, firing from both flanks and in the center. Combined with the cannon blasts it is beautiful and mesmerizing! God help me but I love it!

Field Marshal Blücher
Esquire
Esquire

Postby Field Marshal Blücher » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:32 am

Cavalry is great for pursuits, so that use of them is quite proper.

The main other way that I use them is to charge after the enemy has been softened up with musket/artillery fire. This breaks them very quickly and if you charge several units at a time frequently breaks the entire army. This way, they don't take excessive casualties, and they're in excellent position to start the pursuit. I also charge exposed enemy units with no supporting troops.

-FMB
Vorwärts!

nix
Villein
Villein

Postby nix » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:13 am

Use the heavy cavalry to oppose threats by opponent's cav to your infantry but if you can, send them out to flank the opponents infantry while your infantry and artillery engage. That way you may be able to hit their infantry in the rear causing them to panic and flee and in some cases starting a chain reaction of panic along their line which can then be rolled up. Use the light cav to take out isolated or unsupported artillery units (but try to avoid frontal assult!) and in pursuit roles after the heavy cav has broken a unit. (Even militia units or any low spec unit will do for pursuit just to keep up the pressure on and stop a rally). The cav is good to hover near oponent infantry formations while they are under fire from artillery as the cav threat keeps them in close formation and they take more hits as a consequence. This is how the cavalry was used historically when it was used properly (ie not balaclava!)[/i]

Dragoon8
Villein
Villein

Postby Dragoon8 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:20 pm

Thanks for your reply. I will definatley incorporate your ideas/tactics. I had gotten too bogged down with grinding down my enemy with infantry/artillary that my cavalry has really gone into disuse. This will add much more variety and interest in my game play. Do you play much multi-player games with NTW1 these days or do you mostly just play single player games. I tried to hook-up my multiplayer game with Gamespy.com, registered, set up a Gamespy account but when I tried to play a multiplayer game I got an "Account information error" message. I know it was not my email address, user name, password or CD Key. I looked on the Gamespy.com forums and found that others had similar error with MTW2. Does anyone else have this problem? Is this where you go to get a multiplayer game?

Lord von Döbeln
Honourary Lord
Honourary Lord

Postby Lord von Döbeln » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:59 am

Don't try to find MP games through Gamespy.com but through the MP lobby that's incorporated in the game.

I wouldn't mind some old fashioned NTW1 MP. I'll probably be arounf next week. Anyone else interested? :D The more the merrier... :wink:

LvD
"Let no bastard pass the bridge!"

- General Johan August Sandels in The Tales of Ensign Stål by Johan Ludvig Runeberg

Dragoon8
Villein
Villein

Postby Dragoon8 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:11 pm

I?m a bit confused. How do I get to the ?MP lobby that?s incorporated in the game?? When I click on the Multiplayer option in my MTW Viking Invasion version, I get the following choices: Play on Gamespy.com, Register on Gamespy.com, LAN game, Medieval Total War Website, or Medieval Total War News Server. I have already described what happens to me on Gamespy. When I clicked on LAN Game I just get a black screen and I have to reboot my computer. What am I doing wrong here? I don?t know if I could play a multiplayer game anyway. I can?t usually begin playing until about midnight (US Eastern Standard time). I think it is 6:00 am in Europe at that time. Still interested? Any takers on the West coast?

Return to “Napoleonic Total War 1”