Right Sizing Armies for Single Player combat?

All about the Lordz' first mod: NTW1.
Dragoon8
Villein
Villein

Right Sizing Armies for Single Player combat?

Postby Dragoon8 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:14 pm

I have become frustrated by the AI continuously refusing to come to battle when I invade a province. My invasion force is usually about 12 units: 4 line infantry, 1 light infantry, 1 rifle, 2 grenadier, 2 cavalry and 2 cannon. This is a great combo and I have never lost a battle. But this seems to be too much for the AI and more often than not it will run away rather than stand up and fight. I am looking for the right recipe of units to entice the AI into battle but still have a good chance of being victorious. I am now experimenting with using fewer men to try to get more battles. I have decided to invade with only 7 units: 2 line infantry, 1 grenadier, 1 rifle, 1 light infantry, 1 cavalry, 1 cannon. Has anyone else tried this? What is the best combination of units for a small force to try to entice the AI into combat but still enabling you a fighting chance of winning the battle? I am now playing a Prussian campaign and am using my 7 unit attack force. I have decided that only these seven units will be allowed in each province. They can be reinforced but not added to or relieved. I will see how far I can go with this strategy. I am hoping to get a lot more battles; some with incredible victories against all odds and others with tragic defeats.

Birdman2008
Villein
Villein

Postby Birdman2008 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:37 pm

you might try playing with a worse faction, such as portugal whose units are no match for prussia for example... another option might be increasing the difficulty of the AI...

Gebirgsjaeger
Serf

Re: Right Sizing Armies for Single Player combat?

Postby Gebirgsjaeger » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:34 am

I prefer filling my roster with 4-5 extra militia. they absorb casualties and can then garrison cities.

Lord Davn

Re: Right Sizing Armies for Single Player combat?

Postby Lord Davn » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:02 am

The AI will attack an inferior force, otherwise they will hold up in their capitol where they will have the advantage of garrison militia & armed citizen units in defensive positions. You can try baiting them by sending a small cavalry force just ahead of your main body which will be able to join the battle if they are close enough.
“This was their finest hour!” ~Winston Churchill

Return to “The Napoleonic TW 1 Room”