Help with NTW2: Steam failed to launch...

Support and FAQ's for NTW 2
popnfresh
Villein
Villein

Help with NTW2: Steam failed to launch...

Postby popnfresh » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:10 pm

I am a complete PC noob btw.
Last night I bought RTW Gold on Steam (pretty much for the sole purpose of getting this mod), and I eagerly downloaded the mod, unzipped etcetera. However, whenever I try and run the mod it doesn't work. Most recently when I made my third attempt to redo the whole process, and thought I was being clever by installing the mod to the RTW gold directory in steam (which is in Program File >> Valve >> Steam >> SteamApps>> Common>> Rome Total War Gold edition, and now whenever I try to play the mod it says ERROR: Steam failed to launch.
If anybody has any suggestions whatsoever as to how to fix this problem, please post quickly as I have literally been googling an answer to this question all evening and cannot find it.
Thanks! :)

Herr Lindstrom
Gentleman
Gentleman

Postby Herr Lindstrom » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:19 am

Most mods that are for games, using the steam engine, are steam compatible. And as far as i know N2TW does not use or is supported by steam, and your problem is my proof to back that statement.. It sounds like if you want to be able to play N2TW you're going to have to rebuy RTW Gold unfortunately... In my oppinion I would never trust Steam with my life. Thats why i gave my account info to my best friend whom i can trust..

Anyways thats all the help i could give you. Its more of bad news actually...

Btw RTW gold has problems with the CD keys that the give you on those green cards. If it doesnt work just contact SEGA support and they should give you a new one within a few days :wink:
Why this a-cursed 100 character limit again?

Lord Badger
Honourary Lord
Honourary Lord

Postby Lord Badger » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:52 am

Hi there,

this is going ot be a long shot, but try this. Unfortunately i can't try this for myself due to the lack of steam-RTW (i don't think any of the Lordz have it).

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=127360

When you install NTW2 (peninsula pack first, then the portugal patch & optionally the mappack) in your RTW folder (you'll have to figure that one out yourself)

Now, you should have a NTW2 icon on the desktop. Make sure it points to the steam.exe, not the RomeTW.exe & add -applaunch 4760 right before -mod napoleonic .

Now cross your fingers & pray ;)

Don't give up if it doesn't work right away, you might need to fiddle with the install & shortcut paths till you get it right.

cheers
B
[N]Badger

[N] Marshal
former |LeJuntaIrregulars|
former |LGA - 1st| Majorl

http://www.napoleonics.eu

popnfresh
Villein
Villein

thanks

Postby popnfresh » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:07 pm

thankyou kindly for assisting me i will try and follow your instructions. If not I may just bay a bargain basement copy of rtw

Lord Badger
Honourary Lord
Honourary Lord

Postby Lord Badger » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:44 am

Hope it works, let us know if it does, could be useful for other users as well.

A CD version shouldn't cost you more then 5 USD/EUR i'd say.

cheers
B
[N]Badger

[N] Marshal
former |LeJuntaIrregulars|
former |LGA - 1st| Majorl

http://www.napoleonics.eu

Horton III
Gentleman
Gentleman

Postby Horton III » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:27 pm

Well B a CD Version in the states now is running around $20 for the RTW Gold edition new, and $15 for RTW alone, plus $15 for BI if you buy it separately. You can get them used, but the CD keys are often not included or they're in use already-leading to some confusion.

I hope you get your steam copy to work there bud.
Colonel Horton

hhslf
Serf

Postby hhslf » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:17 pm

what Lord Badger posted seems to work, I can start the game perfectly fine, but I had a previous mod installed and can not play battles (this may be due to the steam copy, not probable though), ill update later.

edit: it does work, i did exactly what was explained in that post and the game works perfectly on my steam copy.

popnfresh
Villein
Villein

i have changed the directory

Postby popnfresh » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:20 pm

yet now it just opens steam! I have pointed it to steam .exe and have done the applaunch code, but it just opens steam. May I have doen something incorrect? how did you install it hhslf?

Return to “The NTW 2 Consultation Room”