Lag issues.

Support and FAQ's for NTW 2
Bayrisch
Serf

Postby Bayrisch » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:35 pm

Hello all, i experience great lag when i play multi in 2vs2 and higher. I try everything, loW video settings. I installed everythind hood but lag is hoorible.

Pentium dual core 2,5ghz, 2g ram geforce 8600.

Looks like beta version because many bugs." :?

Lady Meg
Honourary Lord
Honourary Lord

Postby Lady Meg » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:05 am

Hi there,

I am sorry that you are having awful lag, but that is not something we can help you with much. There are some tips you can try, perhaps they will help you somewhat, but I cannot give you a "fix all" solution.

-Make sure that you have all background programs turned off.
-Turn down all the game's settings.
-Try a lower resoltuion setting, this works great for me.

Best of luck and I hope that you will be able to enjoy NTW2!

Devoirs The Empress
"Act well your part, there all the honour lies." -Pope

"England Expects That Every Man Will Do His DUTY" - Nelson via Mr. Pasco at Trafalgar 1805

Moopere
Baronet
Baronet

Postby Moopere » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:24 am

Bayrisch wrote:Hello all, i experience great lag when i play multi in 2vs2 and higher. I try everything, loW video settings. I installed everythind hood but lag is hoorible.

Pentium dual core 2,5ghz, 2g ram geforce 8600.

I've got a similar system to you. Core2Duo 2.13GHz, 2G RAM, GF8600, 1680x1050x32bit resolution. I run most video things at max or almost max except grass, turn that grass off.

I can run a bit over 18,000 models on screen so you should be able to do at least as well.

Bayrisch wrote:Looks like beta version because many bugs." :?

I'm sure I don't know what you mean? What bugs are you referring to? This latest release appears to me to be the most bug free of all recent releases. I've not yet had the chance to play a large number of games so maybe I've missed something....what specific bugs have you come across?

M.

LittleSoldier
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby LittleSoldier » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:59 pm

Pentium D's and core 2 duos are not similar processors. My pentium D 3GHZ is slower than a core 2 duo at ~2.3GHZ.

What is your internet connection? Do you run alot of background processes? Is your computer full with adware and spyware?

Lord von Döbeln
Honourary Lord
Honourary Lord

Postby Lord von Döbeln » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:28 pm

The problem is that RTW is not adapted for dual core processors but IMO seems to treat it as one single processor thus denying any benefits of a dual core. I'm quite sure my 512 Mb graphics card can handle RTW/NTW2 at all settings, but even at minimal settings I still get told that I shouldn't field more than 6000 men ina a battle. The only reason for this I canthink of is that the RTW engine can't handle dual cores. :cry:

LvD
"Let no bastard pass the bridge!"

- General Johan August Sandels in The Tales of Ensign Stål by Johan Ludvig Runeberg

Moopere
Baronet
Baronet

Postby Moopere » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:53 am

LittleSoldier wrote:Pentium D's and core 2 duos are not similar processors.

True enough. Nevertheless, The few P4D's I've come into contact with have been quite powerful enough. Surely there should not be any problems with it and RTW. I've found the adding RAM and a decent modern video card makes a lot more difference than the CPU.

Cheers, M.

Moopere
Baronet
Baronet

Postby Moopere » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:56 am

Lord von D?beln wrote:The problem is that RTW is not adapted for dual core processors but IMO seems to treat it as one single processor thus denying any benefits of a dual core. I'm quite sure my 512 Mb graphics card can handle RTW/NTW2 at all settings, but even at minimal settings I still get told that I shouldn't field more than 6000 men ina a battle. The only reason for this I canthink of is that the RTW engine can't handle dual cores. :cry:

LvD

I think thats just a bug LvD. I get that warning too, but 18,000 models is not problem for the rig regardless of the error. Legless Lannes put me onto a file related to this stuff the other day, I'll have a look about in it, maybe things can be changed to stop that bogus error message coming up.

Cheers, M.

Lord von Döbeln
Honourary Lord
Honourary Lord

Postby Lord von Döbeln » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:43 am

Well I can still field a "full armies" 3v3 with only minor lag. If I try a 4v4 however the frame rate drops from about 10-12 to about 1. :lol:

LvD

- General Johan August Sandels in The Tales of Ensign Stål by Johan Ludvig Runeberg

Moopere
Baronet
Baronet

Postby Moopere » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:10 pm

Lord von D?beln wrote:Well I can still field a "full armies" 3v3 with only minor lag. If I try a 4v4 however the frame rate drops from about 10-12 to about 1. :lol:

LvD

I'm having deja vu because I think we've spoken on this before, but please bear with me...how many models (roughly) would that be in your 4v4 games where the framerate drops way down?

Cheers, M.
===========================
[NWG] - Napoleonic War Gamers
===========================

Lord von Döbeln
Honourary Lord
Honourary Lord

Postby Lord von Döbeln » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:59 pm

Yeah I think we've discussed this bbefore too. :lol:

My 3v3 which runs ok is about 11.000 men and the 4v4 is about 14.500 men, so it seems the magical limit is somewhere above say 11.500-13.000 for my PC. And as I wrote earlier the FR drop is really significant from totally playable (10-20 depending on how many units are in the picture) to basically unplayable (1 and below).

This is in custom and I've heard somewhere that in MP the strain is less on the PC since your CPU isn't bothered by the AI (well it doesn't seem to be too bothered with it even in custom battles judging from it's actions :wink: ). So for me to play 3v3's in MP would be no problem at all I imagine.

The weird thing is that if I let the game recommend my graphics settings they're rather far from the best quality settings which is a bit weird since my PC would have been considered REALLY top of the line when the game was released. That's why I'm a bit curious about what specs Activision are looking for to run the game with max graphics. :)

LvD

Return to “The NTW 2 Consultation Room”