Single Player HB

For all discussions about Napoleon's Eagles, the historical mode for NTW3 by Lord Dessaix
cnrgeorge
Villein
Villein

Single Player HB

Postby cnrgeorge » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:30 pm

Nice looking mod! Good job.

We are new to this, so please accept my apologies if the answer to my question is available elsewhere (if so, please just refer me; I spent some time looking).

I realize there are reasons why single player is not the best mode for playing Historical Battles, however that's what works at the moment. That said, we cannot figure out how to play most battles in single player. So my basic question is 'how does one play historical battles in single player?"

Here is what I have tried: I have both Napoleon Total War and NTW 3.5 installed. Clicking on the NTW3 shortcut gets me to an opening screen with various options (although the bottom of that screen is cut off for some reason). We then click on "NTW3 Historic Battles", which gets us to the screen with all the battles. If we then select a battle and click "Play", NTW3.5 closes and, after a pause, Napoleon Total War starts up and we get to a modded version of Napoleon Total War. We then, eventually, get a page with "Napoleonic Total War" at the top, and buttons for "Continue Campaign" "Single Player", "Multiplayer" and "Options". If we then click "Single Player" and from the drop down menu click "Napoleon's Battles", we get to a map with a few battles, but hardly all of them. And it is not clear that these are the historic recreations. Alternatively, if we don't do "Napoleon's Battles" on the last step and, instead, click, "play battle" and then choose "land Battles", that gets to what appears to be a series of historical battle maps, but those do not appear to be the full historic battle simulations.

Sorry for all the details, but not sure where we are going wrong. Any advice appreciated. Thank you.

FireTight
Gentleman
Gentleman

Re: Single Player HB

Postby FireTight » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:44 pm

Hey, you choose HB in launcher, run the game, choose Multiplayer, LAN, Host Game and Scenario. But honestly, it's almost pointless to play against AI. It's crap (but still better than Rome 2/Attila crap), it doesn't understand reinforcements, etc.

cnrgeorge
Villein
Villein

Postby cnrgeorge » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:55 am

Got it. Thanks!

Last question (for now) - am I right to assume that there is no way of actually watching a historical battle simulation; i.e., running a historic battle passively and seeing the forces more or less behave as they did in the real battle? That's obviously something for the history buff rather than the gamer.

FireTight
Gentleman
Gentleman

Postby FireTight » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:20 pm

Well, technically it's possible. I think you can choose an army that has only LOC point and add the rest to the AI.

ryancuahere
Serf

Postby ryancuahere » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:35 am

I like this mod cos its more fun and challenging

Last edited by ryancuahere on Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cnrgeorge
Villein
Villein

Postby cnrgeorge » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:43 am

So the AI is programmed to behave more or less like armies in the real battle? I had assumed that starting positions were fixed based on historical positions and that the capabilities of each unit were more or less based on those of the actual unit, but that the AI then acted based on certain generic AI rules rather than on programming meant to reflect the actual decisions made on the field. Is the AI actually set up to play out the course of the historic battle or would a full simulation of a historic battle require human players repeat historic decisions?

stilgar
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby stilgar » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:41 pm

cnrgeorge wrote: ... starting positions were fixed based on historical positions and that the capabilities of each unit were more or less based on those of the actual unit

Indeed, but its not just about position. Time of arrival is important for a better representation of the battle course. AI has of course no clues in this respect.

cnrgeorge wrote: but that the AI then acted based on certain generic AI rules rather than on programming meant to reflect the actual decisions made on the field.

Correct.

cnrgeorge wrote: Is the AI actually set up to play out the course of the historic battle or would a full simulation of a historic battle require human players repeat historic decisions?

No, AI has no clue and is still the same generic AI. So, AI vs AI will be a mess. However, if human players in Mp respect the delays for various groups and follow the objectives and victory conditions, battle will generally resemble the historical one, although the players still have the freedom of choice of their tactics, of course. So, I would suggest you to watch replays of battles played in MP by players. For replays see the AAR section on this site (although some replays could be from old version and will not be compatible with v5) or at HB dedicated forum http://ntwhbclub.freeforums.org/hb-after-battle-reports-f9.html.
"Постой-ка, брат мусью ..."

cnrgeorge
Villein
Villein

Postby cnrgeorge » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:31 am

Thanks for the detailed explanation. That all makes sense. Finally, got our local LAN set up for multiplayer; based in part on the impetus this clarification gave us to do so.

Return to “NTW3 HB”