Thoughts on variables for HB's

For all discussions about Napoleon's Eagles, the historical mode for NTW3 by Lord Dessaix
DOC
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Thoughts on variables for HB's

Postby DOC » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:26 pm

Now i havent got much time just now but i wanted to get this idea down before i forgot about it.
What if you could make some HB's have a bit more variance to them, the reason i got thinking about this was because i just downloaded the new brigade level update for Waterloo. Now in this battle the french always know when blucher is going to begin to arrive so they always push hard to break the allied line before the prussians really get on the field. Now Napoleon didn't have this luxury, he believed that Marshall Grouchy was keeping pressure on old Blucher, that is one of the reasons why he took his time that morning. Now what if we made Bluchers arrival time have a variance, maybe make it on a throw of a dice, (random org). So for instance a 1 would give a minus 2, a 2 would be minus 4 and so on, these numbers im using are just to show what i mean, i would like everyone to give feedback on this and see what we can come up with. Obviously not all battles can have this done to them but lets see what we can come up with.

Looking forward to hear what everyone has to say.
[NBC] DOC

stilgar
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Thoughts on variables for HB's

Postby stilgar » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:24 pm

If you mean varied arrival of reinforcements, there is random delay option for almost all battles (see the battle screen. Just click and get delays changed by +/- 5 min. Team leaders generate those and give to team members only (opponent does not know the exact reinforcement time). I am a bit surprised that feature is not used.
"Постой-ка, брат мусью ..."

DOC
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby DOC » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:46 pm

Oh never noticed that before but yeah thats pretty much what i mean but +/- 5mins wouldn't make a big difference on waterloo.
[NBC] DOC

Lord Desaix
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord Desaix » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:50 am

DOC wrote:Oh never noticed that before but yeah thats pretty much what i mean but +/- 5mins wouldn't make a big difference on waterloo.

Yes, random delays habe been there from the very beginning but I only managed to use them once. They require players who know well battle dynamics. They can lead to completely different battles, just think what if Lannes arrived 5 minutes early on the Fontanone at Marengo. Probably austrian will never cross that line. The problem here is that victory conditions have been tailored for default delays sometimes loosing meaning with a different timetable.

DOC
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby DOC » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:10 pm

I fully understand your meaning Desaix but a battle full of experienced players would make this possible and having a small element of the unknown would make things that bit more exciting. Seeing a glorious attack on the verge of success and then seeing reinforcements rushing up earlier than the attacker expected, priceless. This means you then have to have a bit more tactical flexibility and keep a reserve ready for a surprise. A small change like random delays will have a massive impact on a battle and put a fresh face on things.
[NBC] DOC

Return to “NTW3 HB”