Elchingen and La Rothiére HB preview

Multiplayer Room to arange battles, follow competitions and look at clans
Watts
Villein
Villein

Elchingen and La Rothiére HB preview

Postby Watts » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:49 pm

I'm looking to find other players interested in HB's. Anyone know of a group or just other players to find? I was a regular about 3 years ago and looking to get back into it.

Sloop
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Historical battles?

Postby Sloop » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:04 am

Many players are having a go at the HB's on a daily basis. Easiest way is to host one during peak times or find opponents in the Lordz TeamSpeak.

Lord Lepic
Honourary Lord
Honourary Lord

Postby Lord Lepic » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:32 pm

THE HB UNDERGROUND !!!
Napoléonien Stratagème
Discord: https://discord.gg/7zB33xt
Follow the Eagle!

Lord Desaix
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord Desaix » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:45 pm

As soon as new version of HB is released I plan to start playing them again on a pseudo regular schedule.
We used to group on the NTWHB forum to arrange battles but we can open a new area here, I mean for those who fancy to follow the old stock of rules.
bacause I don't plan to change my style of gameplay. More relaxed HB can be played I guess following Lepic's group.
I know some others are missing some good historical fights and pre post battle chats as well, Stilgar being on top pf the list :mrgreen:

Meet you again on the bloody field of Elchingen...

Lord Lepic
Honourary Lord
Honourary Lord

Postby Lord Lepic » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:38 pm

More relaxed HB can be played I guess following Lepic's group.

I don't have a group?
New version of HB will be released and include?

Look forward to your return to the field.
Napoléonien Stratagème
Follow the Eagle!

Lord Desaix
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord Desaix » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:45 pm

Lepic wrote:
More relaxed HB can be played I guess following Lepic's group.

I don't have a group?
New version of HB will be released and include?

Look forward to your return to the field.

Sorry I thought you were active in the Reform Club.

New HB will present Elchingen as written above, nothing more I think but I could find time to finish BlueMax's La Rothiere which is never been tested.
I remember Max wrote a mail some months ago stating he wished to complete his scenario but I had no will to work again on HB at that time.
Maybe he can write here again and we can try to finish it.

stilgar
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby stilgar » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:08 pm

Lord Desaix wrote: ... I know some others are missing some good historical fights and pre post battle chats as well, Stilgar being on top pf the list :mrgreen:

Meet you again on the bloody field of Elchingen...

It's time to put those dusty uniforms back on indeed. I am taking the very first boat from Caracas to Amsterdam. :wink:
"Постой-ка, брат мусью ..."

Ztrain909
Yeoman
Yeoman

Postby Ztrain909 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:44 pm

I feel a " mighty resurgence" coming back to the HB Community!

I'm so looking forward to hearing Ziuk and Miko scream at me in their native Polish tongue.

Gin Dobry!

Lord Desaix
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord Desaix » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:19 pm

Ztrain909 wrote:I feel a " mighty resurgence" coming back to the HB Community!

I'm so looking forward to hearing Ziuk and Miko scream at me in their native Polish tongue.

Gin Dobry!

Miko is more on the relaxed side of napoleonic games with SOW WL, I understand him, he's never been enough fast on HBs :mrgreen:

stilgar
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby stilgar » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:54 pm

Ztrain909 wrote:I feel a " mighty resurgence" coming back to the HB Community!

Gin Dobry!

I would not hold my breath for " mighty resurgence" of HB community. I would be happy if we can get a good game a week or two weeks, and perhaps try to get together for battle anniversaries.

Perhaps we could keep HB activity visible on this site: community is rather small now. Besides, it's pity to see players interested in HB receiving late or no response.

Lord Desaix
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord Desaix » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:27 am

Update

As written in the promo of v7.0 I managed to finish also La Rothiére. Here's follow the victory conditions preview of both battle.
La Rothiére is not easy to set: we have the french army outnumbered but with a strong defensive position. I left buildings as victory points to help the french holding his ground but it can prove a disadvantage if allied player is able to take them since overall french regiments are numerically weaker than russian/austrian ones. We'll see, stats were originally made by Bluemax and I have little time to check them throughoutfully.
I plan to have two different weather situation selectable by players: one with snow and one without if snow proves to cause heavy lag (almost 180 units here so not an easy cup to drink).

Another french challenge at Elchingen, I made two scenario, the historical implying the Danube crossing (i.e. austrian side Marengo nightmare) and the second with armies already deployed in the late morning situation that can be easily used as HB introduction for new players. Scale for Elchingen is at battalion/squadron level 3:1, more or less like Montebello.

My wish was to test changes to battle dynamics but it's unlike I will find any time, I increase fatigue for running and cavalry power gainst infantry, reduced overall accuracy, increased slightly cavalry speed, but both battlefield were a mix of mud and snow (especially mud can play a relevant part at La Rothiére like in Montmirail).

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =772200203

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =772200533

Lord Desaix
Lord
Lord

Re: Elchingen and La Rothiére HB preview

Postby Lord Desaix » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:25 pm

Elchingen is indeed a mistery: how the french could rout the whole Riesch corps without even engaging the Mahler's division is out of my understanding, but it's strictly connected to the victory of Haslach and later Durstein. The french army coming from Boulogne was indeed hugely better that the austrian army.

In game term is not easy to recreate this outcome unless we set strict delays for the austrian not allowing him to move all his units. In effect the french first defeated a strong contingent south of Unter Elchingen and then focused on the main army on the hill. This could be replicated if NTW allowed some sort of command activation but of course it's not the case.

An interesting scenario would let Riesch to contend the french crossing in forces not just moving a couple of battalions to the bridges. It could be that the french blitz surprised austrian before they could take such a movement. To cover this possibility I just restrict movement for the main body, austrian can still move some units to the Danube bridges if french does not break fast the position.

stilgar
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby stilgar » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:22 pm

Awesome! Do not worry, Des. We'll soon check all those scenario's out and play them all to death. So, you might want to get back to that Ligny map :wink:

Lord Desaix
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord Desaix » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:53 pm

stilgar wrote:Awesome! Do not worry, Des. We'll soon check all those scenario's out and play them all to death. So, you might want to get back to that Ligny map :wink:

You tempting devil...I can take Ligny map back if you provide the full OOB :mrgreen:

Lord Lepic
Honourary Lord
Honourary Lord

Postby Lord Lepic » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:01 am

What I want to explore is why the Austrians, with all their tactical advantages, still buckled?

The Austrians cover the Danube crossing with a crossfire of artillery and infantry and chew up the French.
Napoléonien Stratagème
Follow the Eagle!

Lord Desaix
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord Desaix » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:18 pm

Lepic wrote:What I want to explore is why the Austrians, with all their tactical advantages, still buckled?

The Austrians cover the Danube crossing with a crossfire of artillery and infantry and chew up the French.

Drills and morale was the key during the 1805 and 1806 campaign: Ney ordered a difficult maneuver to carry on the plateau where the austrians stood ready for defence: a left march by companies with a 90 degrres right turn, volley. charge, again a right turn to envelop the flank.
An austrian commander would have never simply even dared to order such a bold move in front of a french line because austrian infantry was not able to do that. Furthermore austrian generals did not know what to do on a strategical level: Mach was in the worst confusion, his subordinates felt even worse.

Lord Lepic
Honourary Lord
Honourary Lord

Postby Lord Lepic » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:48 pm

Mach was in the worst confusion, his subordinates felt even worse.

Mack's written orders vague and rambling. Here, for instance, is one "order" he had sent to Riesch on the 13th;

Ulm, 13 October 1805, in the evening

My convictions!

Bonaparte stays with the main column headed for Weissenhorn. He has done so because of the great difficulty in crossing the terrain on his way to the Iller which he intends to cross.

A glance at the map shows that it would be nonsense to rush forward after Wiessenhorn because you would have to go back after Günzburg and that the Danube presents yet another detour to cross. This way from Günzburg is also difficult to travel due to the nature of the terrain.

What we ought to do then, is to attack him first at Weissenhorn or at least on the day where he attempts to cross the Iller. Perhaps if by tomorrow he still has not crossed, then it presents a great chance, if he has not first taken the turn at Memmingen, that the column from which there is attempting to cross by the left bank of the Iller should be left behind. This would present a favorable opportunity to eliminate or annihilate this part, and if we fail to do so, he would probably think us foolish for not trying.

The column advancing against Memmingen and the one on the left bank of the Danube are watching over this line of retreat. At least we must consider about taking the trouble to block this route of retreat and make it more difficult for him to reach the Rhine. Perhaps by then something will have happened to prevent him from crossing, especially since a Revolution has broken out.

What Riesch thought as he read this monologue one can only imagine?
Napoléonien Stratagème
Follow the Eagle!

Sloop
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Sloop » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:08 am

God, I love this.

Return to “NTW3 MP”