SP question: owning more ports doesn’t increase trade routes

Downloads, info and technical help for Napoleonic Total War 3
tanelorn
Villein
Villein

SP question: owning more ports doesn’t increase trade routes

Postby tanelorn » Sat May 25, 2019 11:06 pm

Hi all. I’m running the latest as of May 20. I am playing as Sweden and intentionally took a territory for its port to increase my trade route capacity. But it appears that the amount you can trade is only based on the highest tech of one of your ports, not the number of ports you own. I’m stuck at 4 merchantmen apparently.

Can anyone confirm / explain the issue here?

Lord Davn

Re: SP question: owning more ports doesn’t increase trade routes

Postby Lord Davn » Fri May 31, 2019 2:48 pm

We limited the number of trade ships for each faction depending on their historical overseas trading capability. Unlimited trade merchants made the sea routes very crowded with ships sailing all over the map looking for empty trade nodes (ports).

England dominates with 8 merchants
France has a fleet of 6 merchants
Other major trade factions (Sweden) have 4 merchants
Minor factions are limited to 2 merchants

Increasing your port capacity does allow you to trade with more factions that have open trade capacity, but you have to do this early as the AI scoops them up very quickly at the start of the campaign. Overseas trading was a big income earner back then as it is today, so much that Napoleon introduced the Continental Trade System to try and limit Britain's ability to trade with the European Countries. When Portugal would not comply with the French trade restrictions Napoleon set off to invade Portugal starting the Peninsula wars (1807-1814), which did not end well for France :confused:
“This was their finest hour!” ~Winston Churchill

Return to “NTW3 General Discussions”