NTW3 v8.2 SPC mod update

Downloads, info and technical help for Napoleonic Total War 3
Black Serpent
Villein
Villein

Re: NTW3 v8.0 SPC mod update

Postby Black Serpent » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:30 pm

I have had CTDs when the Spanish trading fleet (64 gun admiral Ignacio Navarrete and 2 merchantmen, starting just west of Ireland) attacks my 74 commanded by W. Cornwallis, and I want to fight it out manually. Cornwallis participated in a previous fleet action, so that unit is presumably OK, and the CTD occurred repeatedly, also after re-starting the campaign a few turns ahead and continuing to a similar, though not identical situation. Maybe it's the Spanish admiral?

BaronPelet
Villein
Villein

Postby BaronPelet » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:43 pm

Lord Davn,

Would it be best to do a full, clean re-install of NTW and then NTW3 8.0 when it comes out or would just installing 8.0 over the 7.6 and test SPC files be workable? I presume a full install is best but I wasn't sure.

Lord Davn

Postby Lord Davn » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:35 am

BaronPelet wrote:Lord Davn, Would it be best to do a full, clean re-install of NTW and then NTW3 8.0 when it comes out

Lord Cosak has built in an un-installer (in the Napoleon Total War folder). Right click and run the un-installer, cleanup any remaining NTW3 files or folders and your ready for the v8.0 mod. No need to remove the original ntw vanilla mod.
“This was their finest hour!” ~Winston Churchill

Marshall Davout
Yeoman
Yeoman

Postby Marshall Davout » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:09 pm

I continued with Britain until about 1808 but then it kept crashing.

The real problem with the SPC is the AI in battles, but I appreciate that very little can be done about that. I also saw 1 example of blobbing, but it isn't a big concern, as they tend to sort themselves out when you discover them.

Lord Davn

Postby Lord Davn » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:02 pm

Marshall Davout wrote:I continued with Britain until about 1808 but then it kept crashing

That has been a problem with the sp campaign since the 64 bit OS became dominant as the original ntw game was designed for a 32 bit OS back in 2010. I've played Britain through 64 turns (August 1808) with NTW3 v5.0 on my old 32 bit dual core,and its still going.

The data is processed differently which leads to the CTD's late in the campaign:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/32-bit-vs-64-bit-operating-systems/

The MP battle mod does not have this issue as its pretty much one and done. The only challenge here is to have good internet connections.
The SPC mod will have multiple battles fought over an extended period of time with numerous saves.

Lord Davn

Postby Lord Davn » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:20 pm

Thanks to everyone for their help in testing and posting notes. The final v8.0 SPC mod files have been uploaded and Lord Cosack will be compiling them for a separate add-on release later this week :clap: Please continue to post notes & suggestions here so we can improve the SPC mod.

The Spanish fleet has been corrected by removing the Spanish naval uniform mod which was causing the CTD's. Black Serpents French & British uniform mod remains as an improvement to the naval battles. The starting & recruitable Generals for the major factions (including Bavaria & Wurttemberg) now have attributes closely related to their historical skills.

Lord Davn

Re: NTW3 v8.1 SPC mod update

Postby Lord Davn » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:36 pm

Black Serpent wrote:I have been working with Cosak, Uxbridge & Kevin for v8 Classic Battles, making the British rosters more historically accurate. If you are interested, I'd like to contribute to make the British faction in SP Campaign as accurate as possible. I have some modding experience and accumulated a bit of knowledge and resources regarding British units and uniforms.
Cheers,
Black Serpent/[KGL]BDanny/Bogdan

I'd suggest modding the existing British units as there are a few restrictions that we have to work with in the campaign game before we can add new ones. The unit recruitment bar has limited space as you can see for London, the main British region with a Staff College which is the top Level 5 recruitment building. We worked around this by making some of the units recruit-able in other regions where they historically recruited and trained in their home depots: http://www.napoleon-series.org/military/organization/Britain/Infantry/c_infantrydepots.html

Image[/quote]

tanelorn
Villein
Villein

Postby tanelorn » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:44 pm

Marshall Davout wrote:Maybe you will :P
So far, the problems are mainly old ones:
- Lost all my artillery trying to cross a bridge. Something about moving on bridges that wipes artillery out completely

Just happened to me with horse artillery on a bridge as well.

Lord Davn

Postby Lord Davn » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:21 pm

tanelorn wrote:
Marshall Davout wrote:- Lost all my artillery trying to cross a bridge. Something about moving on bridges that wipes artillery out completely

Just happened to me with horse artillery on a bridge as well.

If you have to move your artillery across bridges try doing it in column (single file) formation in a straight line and don't cut corners as this is a narrow choke point on the battle map. A piece or two of artillery is great to have but one has to watch over them more than other units as they're also a great magnet for enemy cav charges.

Vilain de Bourg-en-Bresse
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Vilain de Bourg-en-Bresse » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:20 pm

Sorry, that I can't give much feedback on the campaign.
Trying with the Netherlands and ended with the battle at the mines in Cleve against Prussia.
They had reinforcements that got stuck. Auto-resolve would have cost me my only army that
I could afford (due to the UK blockading the tradeport).
Was just about 30 turns into campaign and everything worked fine until then.
Thank you for all the hard work that you have put into making the campaign running smoothly!

The direction of reinforcements is hard-coded, right? (Probably asked that question already.)
If the direction could be randomised, when reloading a pre-battle save, this could solve this
annoying problem, which would be great in a multiplayer campaign, too (as a human player could
make effective use of reinforcements for an attack from an previously unknown direction).
Against AI, imho, it would be better to make reinforcing impossible to occur (if possible) - or at least
very unlikely, because it benefits the human only, while the AI rushes its troups in an unorganised
manner into exhaustion & extinction.
VENIVIDICITIDI

Lord Davn

Postby Lord Davn » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:39 pm

Vilain de Bourg-en-Bresse wrote:The direction of reinforcements is hard-coded, right?

Always save the game at the Battle Deployment screen. If the AI army comes in a bad location and gets hung up, you can reload and try to re-position your army to change the battle deployment for them for a fair fight.

The AI actually does a very good job of setting up the battle map to include the position of reinforcing armies. If you are besieging a city and bring up reinforcements on the left flank, that army will enter the battle map on your left flank. However they may come in at a far distance which may require a lengthy time for them to travel in order to join your battle. Best to have quick units such as horse artillery, cavalry and light infantry for reinforcements so they can cover ground quickly or the battle may be lost before they arrive. How often during the Napoleonic wars did reinforcing armies arrive on the battlefield only to be met by their comrades being routed :rolleyes:

Note the French army below Hannover is just out of range to be included in this very large battle.

tanelorn
Villein
Villein

Postby tanelorn » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:47 am

I want to mention some infantry - cavalry issues that hopefully can be tweaked.

Two major issues with how the AI behaves, based on AI vs. AI observations. Much of this is based on occasional situations where large opposing AI armies are battling eachother with my army either drawn in or initiating. My notes below draw from a full stack British army attacking a full stack Dutch army near my city defended by a handful of conscripts.

1. AI infantry rarely goes square, making an AI army with more cavalry an almost guaranteed win against the other AI. In the largest scale example I've observed, basically a full stack dutch army of good troops was routed by 5-7 british cav units due to all but one unit not squaring up. Of course this issue is easily exploited by the player as well. If possible, the code that controls the chance of a unit going square should be modified to lower the threshold to squaring up so it happens more often.

2. AI cavalry is not scared of square formations and often charges into them and soon routs. In one battle I had a single conscript fusilier unit (the weakest line infantry) fend off four AI cavalry units because they would keep attacking my squared unit one at a time. If you have control over the code for this behavior, the AI cav should be far more leery about charging into infantry squares.

Thanks for reading!

CosmicJuke
Villein
Villein

Postby CosmicJuke » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:12 pm

Lord Davn wrote:
Vilain de Bourg-en-Bresse wrote:The direction of reinforcements is hard-coded, right?

Always save the game at the Battle Deployment screen. If the AI army comes in a bad location and gets hung up, you can reload and try to re-position your army to change the battle deployment for them for a fair fight.

The AI actually does a very good job of setting up the battle map to include the position of reinforcing armies. If you are besieging a city and bring up reinforcements on the left flank, that army will enter the battle map on your left flank. However they may come in at a far distance which may require a lengthy time for them to travel in order to join your battle. Best to have quick units such as horse artillery, cavalry and light infantry for reinforcements so they can cover ground quickly or the battle may be lost before they arrive. How often during the Napoleonic wars did reinforcing armies arrive on the battlefield only to be met by their comrades being routed :rolleyes:

Note the French army below Hannover is just out of range to be included in this very large battle.

Hello Lord Dawn, my french units pictures are still like the previous versions of the mod, how did you get those updates french units pictures , i feel like playing on another version while i installed the 8.0 mod and deleted previous files

Lord Davn

Postby Lord Davn » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:32 pm

CosmicJuke wrote:Hello Lord Dawn, my french units pictures are still like the previous versions of the mod, how did you get those updates french units pictures

The unit icon & info files in the ui_spcn.pack file have not been changed drastically since the earlier SPC mod releases (the screen shot is from several years ago, v5.0). There have been a few updates and improvements for the v81 SPC patch but nothing major to be concerned about.

CosmicJuke
Villein
Villein

Postby CosmicJuke » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:43 pm

Lord Davn wrote:
CosmicJuke wrote:Hello Lord Dawn, my french units pictures are still like the previous versions of the mod, how did you get those updates french units pictures

The unit icon & info files in the ui_spcn.pack file have not been changed drastically since the earlier SPC mod releases (the screen shot is from several years ago, v5.0). There have been a few updates and improvements for the v81 SPC patch but nothing major to be concerned about.

Thanks for all your answers !

Lord Davn

Postby Lord Davn » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:53 pm

CosmicJuke wrote:Thanks for all your answers !

Glad you enjoy the campaign game, try Austria or Russia in the Ottoman scenario as you will have to be prepared to fight a two front war.
The Ottomans can be quite aggressive when they mobilize and move on the offense :violence-duel:

CosmicJuke
Villein
Villein

Postby CosmicJuke » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:24 pm

Well how to do this scanario , i will try it after UK campaign ! ;)

I just saw that the campaign files as a win.rar folder in my NTW folder, shall i extract them in the data>NTW3>Campaign>Packs ?
in this pack I have no files whereas i usually have in previous versions

Last question my friend, u know the bran mac born campaign and battle setting ? I saw it in the latest version as it slows Ai units in battle, I already find them really slow as they blob and always reach the fight exhausted there is no challenge, shall i use this or not for SP battles ?

PS: I forgo this, as french i Often do 15 armies of 30-35 units to get fronts vs Russia, England Austria, Prussia and Ottomans, i take regions like Poland Saxony and let strong powers enough territory for good fights !
But on navy i dont have enough challenge i get control of oceans easily.
IS there a way for me to edit files and allow Ottomans or maybe prussia to get bigger ships ? even ottoman empire cant build 74 canons navy ships ! I tried to invade and change traiding companies to dockyards, could i change for them as i did for french 110 guns ships ?

Lord Davn

Postby Lord Davn » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:11 pm

Download the v81 patch and run as Admin, (your anti-virus may flag this exe file). This will install all of the updated files that you will need.
The win.rar file can then be deleted after the update. The v8.0 & v8.1 patch improves the blob problem considerably when the AI is on defense. The AI will now take time to disperse its units and take up defensive formations. Bran is considering doing an update for the v8.0 mod :orly:

CosmicJuke
Villein
Villein

Postby CosmicJuke » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:42 pm

Ok so which sub mods shall i use on this 8.1?
I had alb23 UI mod, alb23 modified deployment zones, and Bran MacBorn Campaign and battle setting.
I use none of them ?

Lord Davn

Postby Lord Davn » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:12 pm

The alb23 UI mod and Mod deployment zones should work.
Give Bran's battle settings mod a try as long as it does not change the units table as there are new units in the v81 spc mod, you can always remove Brans if it does work.

CosmicJuke
Villein
Villein

Postby CosmicJuke » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:42 pm

Hello i have a problem with the 8.1.

When I launch French campaign I can not recruit ships from Trading port :confused:

I have 8.0 campaign files here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Napoleon Total War\data\NTW3\Version80\Campaign

but also 8.1 campaign files here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Napoleon Total War\data\NTW3\Campaigns\Packs\Campaign

Are they the origin of my problem ?

Lord Davn

Postby Lord Davn » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:40 am

The French ships can be built in their dockyards at Brest & Toulon. The trade ports just handle the inbound and outbound trade goods with your trading partners. Port defenses were added to the campaign game with v80 to protect your trade ports from marauding raiders that would come in and destroy the port facilities.

Black Serpent
Villein
Villein

Postby Black Serpent » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:34 am

Just reporting a recurrent CTD in British campaign, turn 17. It's not a freeze with error message, straight up crash to desktop. Loading it a few turns back and replaying the last few turns does not fix it. Must be something to do with France, as it happens when the CAI goes through France's turn.
[edit: seems to occur when/just after France AI occupies Vienna AI]

Are there any clues as to the source of such crashes? Is it related to units, campaign AI processes (diplomacy, recruitment, battles, other)?

Lord Davn

Postby Lord Davn » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:08 pm

I believe Lord Cosak can decode and read the CTD data info if you can post a copy of it.
Check your pm for my response.

CosmicJuke
Villein
Villein

Postby CosmicJuke » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:07 pm

Guess i got the same, game crash when the 1st army of Wellington goes to britain as french empire.

Return to “NTW3 General Discussions”