v8.0 Request Topic

Downloads, info and technical help for Napoleonic Total War 3
Lord Liberalis
Lord
Lord

v8.0 Request Topic

Postby Lord Liberalis » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:16 am

Hey guys, I have people contacting the Lordz through Facebook and other means asking us for some new stuff they would like to see added into the NTW3 mod's next version 8.0

-1st request, map of Toulon (that would be indeed crazy)

-2nd request, General Nicolas Dahlmann, general of the Guard Chasseurs à Cheval, died in the great cav charge at Eylau in 1807.
Fought through egypt, at Austerlitz and Jena before being mortally wounded at Eylau.

-3rd request, pictures of units in game (description pictures)

Feel free to post your own requests in thos tipic.
To save Russia, we have to burn Moscow.

http://www.Grognards.org
http://www.Napoleon-Souvenirs.com

nico.venuti
Villein
Villein

Re: v8.0 Request Topic

Postby nico.venuti » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:23 pm

Would it be possible to zoom the minimap during map selection (before the battle). Otherwise I really cannot read the value of cap points.

Chromey
Baronet
Baronet

Postby Chromey » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:08 am

Maybe go thru all the mini maps and make sure spawns shown map (blue for host side, red for guest side) are correct? Alot of maps were flipped and when you try to host an attack/defend map and defends are in attackers bad ground is frustrating.

Remove horse batteries bugging out!
Death to Tyranny

Karlsson
Villein
Villein

Postby Karlsson » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:08 pm

Downgrade USA and UK+Canada (or as Cosak insists its called UK 1812) to 5 point factions (if the current pricing scheme stays). Make Jacob Brown and/or Winfield Scott standard General Staff units.

Vilain de Bourg-en-Bresse
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Vilain de Bourg-en-Bresse » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:12 pm

Small changes:
- Remove units' ability to hide while being garrisoned, in LoC battle the result is visible for both teams (to hide units just keep them nearby building.)
- What about including some pre-battle-loading-screen-hints specifically targeted at new players that are not yet acquainted to NTW3 mechanics?
I.e. "Don't place skirmishers in front of your lines while shooting, put them on the flanks or into intervals. - Don't charge with your cavalry past your skirmishers or artillery: You risk to trample your own men. - Charge with your cavalry from different angles, or you risk to decimate your own cavalry. - Use the roads for increased movement speed, avoid to move artillery through forests etc. You can set waypoints by pressing SHIFT (default settings). - The use of canister increases reload times thereafter for balance's sake, even if you switch to roundshot again. You might want to order your gun crew to cease fire and put an infantry unit infront for safe reload. - Consider holding your fire until close, if the circumstances are favorable, but think about morally supporting your attacking unit and making sure the routing opponent will not be able to rejoin the battle. - Infantry units that are able to form square can be recognized by "#" in front of their name. Unit type and its movement speed (only whilst walking?) appear in the brakets after the name. - etc."

Edit:
While removing missleading ones like: "Take a break for a bayonet charge? Even if your opponents reload in time, your troups might be too close for effective fire. - Mounted infantry rides to battle on horseback and dismounts to fight. But they do a reasonable job in a cavalry role, as well."
Btw, sorry, I don't recall the exact wording, would certainly be easier to find and delete them :(

Some more challenging ones:
- On some maps units, especially cavalry, seem to be bottle-necked by narrow terrain features, like "bridges": So far, I only remember "Spain 5" (a narrow river crossing SE of the intersection of the rivers, but maybe I missed something) and "Spain 10" (the "concrete" bridges).
- Maybe, increase usability of some roads by increasing their width and reducing the numbers of turns.

Artillery:
- It feels too easy to snipe limbered artillery. Unfortunately, you need to get close with 6 lbers when up against 12 lbers. Feels bad. What about removing the range difference alltogether (like in ETW, I suppose). Wouldn't effective range be quite similar for all calibers at that given period of time, due to poor aiming devices and limited ammunition? Even if technically they could surpasse that range?
- Oh, yes, and horse artillery...

French guard:
I suppose, the guard was rather seldom deployed en masse, except for the young guard, wasn't it? In which case, imho, it would make sense to make it a minor faction. Also, fewer units=easier to micromanage them across the line.

Btw, as another poster mentioned the canadian forces of the UK: I guess, it would make more sense to call the faction "UK (in North America)" instead of "UK (USA)", or thelike, wouldn't it?
Last edited by Vilain de Bourg-en-Bresse on Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
VENIVIDICITIDI

Wym...
Baronet
Baronet

Postby Wym... » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:31 pm

Re code horse Artillery so it doesn't bug on minor terrain.
allow routing units that are over 50% strength to rally as in previous versions
"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but by God they frighten me"

Myopik
Villein
Villein

Postby Myopik » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:46 pm

Ability to

1. liberate a city well after the capture turn.

2. Nominate trade route Port eg From X (Ivory) to Liverpool , From Y (Cotton) to Bristol

3. Taxation rate at country level

Please !

Lord Davn

Postby Lord Davn » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:35 am

1.) Hard coded by CA, you have to make your choice when the battle is over to occupy, loot or liberate (protectorate). Some regions like Hessen are very difficult to pacify requiring you to keep and occupying army in the capital for many turns. Better to make them a protectorate and move on.

2.) Trade ships will transfer goods to the nearest trading port available. Garrison the major ports to prevent raids and spread your trade ships out for a variety of goods, this will also limit trade income for the other factions.

3.) Again hard coded by CA, reducing the tax rates for the lower class will make the economy grow faster if you can afford it at the start.
“This was their finest hour!” ~Winston Churchill

Lord Cosak
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord Cosak » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:20 am

Most of it has been taken in consideration, or even already done when possible (a lot of things are hard-coded in NTW).

Few remarks though:
  • Snipe limbered artillery: it never happened (on real battlefields) that foto artillery casually kept moving under enemy's artillery fire, so in NTW3 you should do the same or take the risk to lose your artillery
  • 12-pdrs had a much longer range than 6-pdrs. In NTW3 the difference is not that important compared to reality
  • After 1809 the French Imperial Guard was always deployed en masse, like in Krasnoie, Montmirail or Waterloo
  • For horse artillery, the only realy bug is when deploying it on a road or woods... It usually stalls on these. Besides this, if you don't mess with your crew when it deploys, it never bugs. I have used horse art as a test in my ten last battles, and never had any issue. But if another unit interferes with them, it bugs.
  • The name "UK (1812, North America)" would indeed be better, but it's too long (it would stop at "North")

Black Serpent
Villein
Villein

Postby Black Serpent » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:35 pm

Classic Battles [Really minor things, MP rosters are fantastic fun and very well made!]

* Scenario Battles
    Battle of Barrosa [2v2 1811] crashes the game at the loading screen. Maybe others too? I can PM crash report if necessary/useful
    * Britain
      - Royal Engineers: officer has blue tunic, white trousers, tall boots and no beard. Maybe keep the red coat in 1815 army and introduce the blue unit in the Peninsular army?
    * US 1812
      - use American audio (import from Empire TW?) rather than the German audio, if possible
    * Britain 1812
      - ETW Warpath Campaign units were used as the native units in v7.6. I would suggest to use the "Mohawk Elite Warriors" but with muskets, in stead of the current "Iroquois warriors" unit in v7.6. Other similar and nice-looking units are the Onondaga Fire Keepers, though they are mounted, and the Cherokee faction has nice units as well. Some Warpath units are a little dated but there is decent choice and making variants of these units that could be quite nice. I guess in Tecumseh's time the native warriors tended to be dressed more in calico cloth rather than skins (?).

SP Campaign
    * In General
      - Level out units in MP Classic Battles and Campaign: same units, statistics and mechanics. In v7.6, the Classic
      Battles unit mechanics are nicer, and it is wonderful to have regimental armies (though, granted, it would be tough
      to decide on single rosters per faction spanning [1805 - 1812+] for the Campaign, especially since e.g. Britain
      restructured its army and made uniform changes in this time, as we can see for ex. in the different cavaly
      uniforms of the Peninsular army and the 1815 army in Classic Battles).
      - Re-balance unit accuracy:
    really close-range volleys do zero damage sometimes;
    artillery accuracy is worse when right-clicking a target than when aiming at the ground in front of it.
      - Cavalry pathfinding:
    sometimes a unit spreads out or rides around the target;
    not very efficient at riding down routing units, charges require lots of micromanagement;
    sometimes a charge, esp when made by the AI, just stops and the units freeze, swords poised up but completely still
      - AI tends to blob all units into a single pile at the beginning of battles, struggles to form line.
      - Bug with Swedish fleet (with 86-gun flagship) - engaging it of joining allied fleet in engaging it crashes the game.
    * Britain
      - HMS Victory has bad sailing characteristics compared to all other ships (almost impossible to turn).
    * France
      - Update some unit name/description with errors (e.g. "Francais Dragons", "Sappeurs" etc.)
    * Austria
      - Hungarian hussar (4th Light Horse) unit has funky uniform (likely skin file issue for the shako)
    * Spain
      - General unit has funky uniform (likely caused by skin file)

Would be nice to have in v8.0 SP Campaign:

* Adjust Franco-Spanish diplomacy to decay with every turn (one of the diplomacy tables in the pack files has this option, to
      define a constant deterioration factor [or the opposite] with time) such that by 1808 Spain is hostile and France ready
      to invade it. This would set the scene for the Peninsular War, and give France an historical thorn in the side, preventing
      it to steamroll over Europe as hard as it currently does. Also bad relations with Portugal would be consistent with this.

* Spawn American heavy frigates in the Atlantic somewhere (maybe trade posts?) which can activate against UK in 1812, and
      disrupt its trade. Again, this war could come about via diplomacy initial conditions. Historically these were 40+ gun heavy frigates
      outmatching the British equivalents in both firepower (heavier guns, ofter 24lb and 32lb) and hull strength. E.g. USS Constitution,
      USS CHesapeake, USS Constellation etc etc.

Cheerios, and fine work gentlemen!
Last edited by Black Serpent on Mon May 07, 2018 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Black Serpent
Villein
Villein

Postby Black Serpent » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:09 pm

Oh, and how about adding back "La victoire est a nous", if not in the laucher (as in 7.5 and before) then at least in main lobby? It's a very nice and inspiring tune, and the single "Pour l'Empereur", on a loop, is becoming too tattooed on the brain :)

Also, it would be nice if possible to introduce custom company marches, for example bagpipes and drums company marches for say highlanders (or just British faction in general?) - there are many available options, see e.g. here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEugzaEYJw8

Lord Cosak
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord Cosak » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:17 pm

In-game music (on the battlefield) is a complete random mess... We tried to improve that part, but there are some hidden parameters there.

Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Vilain de Bourg-en-Bresse » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:04 pm

Lord Cosak wrote:Most of it has been taken into consideration, or even already done when possible (a lot of things are hard-coded in NTW).

Few remarks though:
  • Snipe limbered artillery: it never happened (on real battlefields) that foot artillery casually kept moving under enemy's artillery fire, so in NTW3 you should do the same or take the risk to lose your artillery
  • 12-pdrs had a much longer range than 6-pdrs. In NTW3 the difference is not that important compared to reality
  • After 1809 the French Imperial Guard was always deployed en masse, like in Krasnoie, Montmirail or Waterloo
  • For horse artillery, the only real bug is when deploying it on a road or woods... It usually stalls on these. Besides this, if you don't mess with your crew when it deploys, it never bugs. I have used horse art as a test in my ten last battles, and never had any issue. But if another unit interferes with them, it bugs.
  • The name "UK (1812, North America)" would indeed be better, but it's too long (it would stop at "North")

Thank you for the clarification.
VENIVIDICITIDI

Myopik
Villein
Villein

Postby Myopik » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:04 am

Ability to fragment units ...ie fragment Cav in to smaller unit say 25 .......they can be used to scout ahead of main group.

Ability of forces in forts to always make defensive structures/items , and not just pioneers eg facines, trench etc especially when breach has happened

Ability to directly ask Allies for help ie support town etc ie beyond the Join wars

Question : what is poundage of Fort canon ? 6lb 9lb ? appears to have greater range than Austrian 3lb and 6lb

cheers

Black Serpent
Villein
Villein

Postby Black Serpent » Mon May 07, 2018 7:14 am

AI Behaviour

AI manœuvring generally questionable, so artillery should deploy and fire as soon as it is in range, and/or seek the high ground if that is even possible.

Have had a situation where online player was efficiently firing canister close-up at enemy lines, then he dropped and the AI taking over decided to limber the guns and walk them into enemy lines. Already a disatvantage when a player drops, but it would have at least made the game more interesting if the AI had just stayed put and continued firing, rather than start walking all over right under enemy point-blank musketry (infantry included, the 2 lines were in contact exchanging musket fire at that point).

In SP Campaign, AI guns tend to not deploy during battles, unless sieging a fort.

My point is, AI is inferior to a human player, and as such it should probably play mostly defensively.
Last edited by Black Serpent on Mon May 07, 2018 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Black Serpent
Villein
Villein

Postby Black Serpent » Mon May 07, 2018 9:40 am

Pyramids Scenario [2v2] battle crashes the game on loading screen.

Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Vilain de Bourg-en-Bresse » Wed May 09, 2018 10:53 pm

Please, limit the ability to garrison to one solider per building, in case
one would be enough for the "building captured" notification to pop up.
(While disabling "hidden while garrisoned", so everyone is able to see
and count the points captured by both teams.)
Fights over buildings seem not fair, imho, and may cause lag, too.
VENIVIDICITIDI

Black Serpent
Villein
Villein

Postby Black Serpent » Wed May 16, 2018 1:11 pm

Any chance of re-working the Peninsular Campaign DLC for single player? The army rosters are in place and pretty sweet already in v7.6 for all factions concerned (Peninsular Britain & France, Portugal, Spain - including Levantamiento Popular!), so it would be a nice addition in my opinion.

The interest here, at least as Britain and France, would be to carefully manage the army and choose battles very carefully, Wellington-style, since they should not be able to recruit new units in order to replenish, as they do in the usual campaign. So a new layer of strategy, economical army management, and also the map and political situation are more accurate and detailed in the Pen. Camp. DLC. All of the above goes for Egypt campaign as well (legend has it that v8.0 will have a beautiful new French roster of l'Armee de l'Orient :D)

Also, it might present interest to develop the NTW3 campaigns to be open to MP mode. Apart from myself, I have heard of interest in this from several sources already.

Lord Cambridge
Serf

Postby Lord Cambridge » Thu May 17, 2018 7:07 pm

It would be interesting to add uniform parts for the french army of 1811 like red pom-pom ( in french we say pompons ) the shakos of the french army are ulgy and not quite historical...there are missing pompons and the shako plumes.

it would be great to add uniform diversity in the french army for the line infantry and the light infantry ( there are no plumes ) and what I mean by light infantry is not tirailleurs or chasseurs in the 1811's army, I mean batalion infantry with all there green and yellow plumes and pompons.

Also, the french flag of the 1799 french army is not that one, it is a flag with "valeur et discipline" written on it.
It would be great to add units to the prussian army and add the 1799 british army ( siege of toulon for example).

Last suggestion is that the men in the ranks should talk more, more death screams, and orders given to the bataillon when to move, fire, charge and halt.

All this to add more life in the gameplay and let us feel the battlefield.

The game is great, the mod is awesome and your work is fantastic, han han oui oui!

(Hello from montreal, Canada )

Rodriguez
Villein
Villein

Postby Rodriguez » Fri May 18, 2018 7:38 am

Lord Cambridge wrote: Last suggestion is that the men in the ranks should talk more, more death screams, and orders given to the bataillon when to move, fire, charge and halt.

I believe they removed the voices and added the drumrolls and trumpet/bugle calls for balance purposes, for example: if you do not speak the language of the faction that the enemy player is using, but the enemy player does speak the language of the faction you are using, you would be at a disadvantage since the enemy player could tell if you are setting your units to fire at will/hold fire, guard mode, charge, etc. So I do not think adding the voices would be a good idea. This is just a thought, though, and I cannot really be sure since there are still some voices like the "Yes, Sir" the British infantry say whenever you select them and the "Ordre bien reçu" the French cavalry says whenever you move them.

Cheers!

Black Serpent
Villein
Villein

Postby Black Serpent » Wed May 23, 2018 8:54 am

Skins:

I'm not sure about this but I *believe* Wellington's campaigning dress was blue coat [dark but desaturated blue, not to be confused French blue], red sash, white breeches, Hessian boots, and sometimes a long trench coat (possibly white gloves). I think perhaps the "official" regulatory red general's uniform (in-game currently, and in plenty of paintings) might be just the parade dress.

Lord Davn

Postby Lord Davn » Thu May 24, 2018 3:25 am

Thanks for the info, we'll look into it further.
“This was their finest hour!” ~Winston Churchill

Sigma
Villein
Villein

Postby Sigma » Sun May 27, 2018 2:15 pm

Some suggestions for the SP campaign:

An option (maybe in the launcher?) to expand the recruitment limit of units/ships and expand the AoR for minor factions. For instance an Italian minor faction would be able to recruit the units of all other Italian factions and a German minor would be able to recruit the other German minor country units.

The reason I request this is because as it stands playing minor factions are pretty boring since you are put at such a disadvantage that all you can do is take over a few regions and then you have to sit out the rest of the game defending your territory since you will be utterly destroyed if you try to go up against a major factions. It's great for realism but at the same time it would be nice to indulge in some fun and take over Europe as Sweden from time to time. :P

Black Serpent
Villein
Villein

Postby Black Serpent » Wed May 30, 2018 9:57 am

• Different sound for rifles - the report should be crisper, sharper and higher pitch compared to the musket sound
  • Running cavalry through infantry could have more of a disruptive effect (maybe a bit like the mechanic where men fall but stand back up when a cannon ball passes through)
  • I may be wrong, but it seems some of the non-cuirassed heavy cavalry (including general units) have stronger than normal "armour" - they should be good of course, but musket balls/missiles in general shouldn't really care if they hit elite or cheap cav., at least as long as they don't wear a cuirass ...
  • Once in melee mode, infantry should have slower reloading time, especially the lesser drilled/trained infantry (harder to use the ramrod when bayonet is attached). Maybe also worth adding a pause in shooting in order to "fix bayonets". This would require more skill/planning to do a volley+charge, but would also make blob-charges more vulnerable to musketry if not well-timed or over-extended.
  • Other minor suggestions, in case it's possible:
    -- the instant charge possibility via pressing melee mode can be left as-is, however without bayonets attached. If the units do take the time to fix bayonets, the charge can be deadlier
    -- smoke could reduce accuracy, so a charge in the smoke of a previous volley could take fewer casualties
    [I know, these may not be possible to implement, but thought I'd suggest anyway]

nico.venuti
Villein
Villein

Postby nico.venuti » Wed May 30, 2018 6:06 pm

Once in melee mode, infantry should have slower reloading time, especially the lesser drilled/trained infantry (harder to use the ramrod when bayonet is attached). Maybe also worth adding a pause in shooting in order to "fix bayonets". This would require more skill/planning to do a volley+charge, but would also make blob-charges more vulnerable to musketry if not well-timed or over-extended.

I'm not an expert, but by Napoleonic times wasn't the bayonet fixed on the musket before the battle begun?

One thing that according to me could be improved is the sound of the muskets.
I remember of this video posted in the 7.6 release thread by SirWolly (which seemed to recieve little attention):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS1NDMN9Gnw
To my ear the sound currently used in game is different from the last shot demonstrated. I feel the same listening to other firing videos with the charleville or the brown bess.
Overall the sound currently used isn't nearly as scary as one would expect reading what the contemporaries said of it.
Then again, I might be wrong.

Return to “NTW3 General Discussions”