Great generals with tiny tiny unit/staff

Downloads, info and technical help for Napoleonic Total War 3
nico.venuti
Villein
Villein

Great generals with tiny tiny unit/staff

Postby nico.venuti » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:40 am

Hi to all of you as I am new here.

*For the actual post see next paragraph. I feel like, before saying anything else, I have to praise everyone that has worked to make this mod come true. Have had it for a month and absolutely love it. Hell it's like a whole new game has taken the place of NTW vanilla. Great mechanics, great feel, great engagement realism and superb unit variety. The vastity of this mod is really something unprecedented.

Back to us:
So the thing is, the most famous generals of many factions have their unit made up of only 2 or 4 men (Napoleon, Kutuzov, Wellington, others whose name I don't remember....), this has been a problem to me quite a lot of times.(5 or 6 over 20ish battles)
Given the limited effect radius of the general ispiring ability he has to remain pretty close to the battle line, especially during the critical moments of the battle. What often happens is that bullets from the enemy make their way to my general and kill it. Without any forewarning the morale drop hits me like a hammer and my army crumbles.
Now, what I've figured out I CAN do is bring some secondary general, with the standard staff of 16 men, and position the unit so that the staff acts as meatshield. But sometimes I'd just love to pick the "great" guy of that faction.
I personally don't think that the 20 price difference compensates for this problem.

But is it just me? Am I doing anything wrong? Has anyone had this problem so frequently? I haven't managed to find any previous discussion on the topic.

Lord Liberalis
Lord
Lord

Re: Great generals with tiny tiny unit/staff

Postby Lord Liberalis » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:39 pm

Keep your general out of enemy fire, support only when it's crucial. Normally a general has nothing to do in the first lines.

The problem is testosterone and virtual reality. If it would be you sitting on that horse, surrounded by flying bullets and cannonballs, you wouldn't probably even dare to stick your head out.
But behind the security of your screen and the comfort of your mac&cheese dish and some beers, off course, you charge your general, you let him wildly support as if it was Maximus himself. :mrgreen:

I do this all the time, so don't be too hard on yourself. :handgestures-thumbup:
To save Russia, we have to burn Moscow.

http://www.Grognards.org
http://www.Napoleon-Souvenirs.com

nico.venuti
Villein
Villein

Postby nico.venuti » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:43 pm

Thanks for the answer.
I see what you are saying, and I agree.
I guess I just have to practice to find the right balance. Moreover, generals did seldomly die on the battlefields.

Anyhow, I am still curious of the reason behind the staff reduction. Wouldn't the main general usually have at least 5-6 men next to him during the battle? (aid de camps, officers, pages, 2nd in command, ecc)

Lord Desaix
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord Desaix » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:15 am

nico.venuti wrote: Moreover, generals did seldomly die on the battlefields.

I think that Lannes, Bessieres, Lasalle, D'Hautpoul, Desaix would disagree. Napoleonic wars were not modern type of warfare where generals stay in confortable button rooms. Even Napoleon, not only general but Emperor, was wounded at Ratisbon.

nico.venuti
Villein
Villein

Postby nico.venuti » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:51 pm

Ok maybe that "seldomly" should have been a "sometimes" or even "often".
But still does anyone know anything about it?
At least does someome remember in which release were the generals' units shrunk?
Maybe I could find the reason written in the relative archive.

Rodriguez
Villein
Villein

Postby Rodriguez » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:52 pm

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the size of the general's unit is that small because everything is scaled.

If I remember correctly, one cavalryman in game is supposed to be six cavalrymen in reality when talking about regular cavalry units, and if it is the same for general staff units, that would mean that the smallest units like Napoleon have two men in game but would have around twelve in real life.
Last edited by Rodriguez on Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Liberalis
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord Liberalis » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:19 am

This is correct.
To save Russia, we have to burn Moscow.

http://www.Grognards.org
http://www.Napoleon-Souvenirs.com

nico.venuti
Villein
Villein

Postby nico.venuti » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:00 pm

Oh right, i had forgotten about the scaling.
Well, thanks Rodriguez.

Return to “NTW3 General Discussions”