Diverse Battery Sizes?

For all info, download links and general discussions on NTW3.
Karlsson
Villein
Villein

Diverse Battery Sizes?

Postby Karlsson » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:59 pm

How do people feel about the idea of having multiple levels of artillery batteries in terms of the number of guns for each? Obviously it would depend on the faction and their doctrine concerning artillery, but I think it would allow for people to use artillery the way they want to. Yes it is true that France had their artillery much more centralized, but this was not ALWAYS the case, and it usually applied more to the large caliber guns as opposed to the light-medium guns. 6 pound and even 8 pound guns were often divided among battalions in anticipation of an infantry assault. 12 pounders were mostly divided at Corps level for Corps Reserve artillery, but even then some Infantry divisions had a pair of 12s attached to them (Assuming the scale for artillery in the mod is a 1:2 ration meaning 1 gun in game is 2 in real life). That would mean a single 12 pound gun unit for the French is not unrealistic.
Also when reading about specifically the 12 pounder guns, I found they were most commonly divided into 8 gun batteries for use by a single Corps. (So a 4 gun battery of 12s is more realistic instead of 5, which is in the current 7.5 beta)

Retyn
Yeoman
Yeoman

Re: Diverse Battery Sizes?

Postby Retyn » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:47 pm

Karlsson wrote:How do people feel about the idea of having multiple levels of artillery batteries in terms of the number of guns for each? Obviously it would depend on the faction and their doctrine concerning artillery, but I think it would allow for people to use artillery the way they want to. Yes it is true that France had their artillery much more centralized, but this was not ALWAYS the case, and it usually applied more to the large caliber guns as opposed to the light-medium guns. 6 pound and even 8 pound guns were often divided among battalions in anticipation of an infantry assault. 12 pounders were mostly divided at Corps level for Corps Reserve artillery, but even then some Infantry divisions had a pair of 12s attached to them (Assuming the scale for artillery in the mod is a 1:2 ration meaning 1 gun in game is 2 in real life). That would mean a single 12 pound gun unit for the French is not unrealistic.
Also when reading about specifically the 12 pounder guns, I found they were most commonly divided into 8 gun batteries for use by a single Corps. (So a 4 gun battery of 12s is more realistic instead of 5, which is in the current 7.5 beta)

Another of Karlys rants :D Are you sure about those 6 or 8 pounders serving among battalions? I mean that i have only read about 4 pounders as kind of front line arty or horse arty 6 or 8 pounders spread out among light or medium cavalry divisions, maybe some 6 pounders being close on hill during an infantry fight but never in the lines.
"Win with ability, not with numbers!" - Alexander Vasilyevich Suvorov

Karlsson
Villein
Villein

Postby Karlsson » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:52 am

It's not a rant, its a suggestion about historical accuracy. I'm sorry the fact that I care about that kind of stuff offends you.

More in regards to Russian Batteries...
(Again, assuming that the scale for artillery is 1:2)

Russian guns were divided into these types of groups:

2 guns made a platoon
2 Platoons made a Division (4 guns)
3 Platoons made a half-company (6 guns)
2 Half-Comps made a Company / Battery (12 guns)

So making Russian batteries at 1,2, 3, and 6 guns units would be the historical way to go. When reading the Order of Battle for Russian Forces at Borodino in 1812, each Russian Infantry Division (which had an average of 12 battalions each, which is what a player usually brings in game) had 1 heavy Battery (12lbers) and 2 Light Batteries (6lbers) attached to them. Thats a whole 36 guns (18 in game) for a single division for Russia 1812.

Retyn
Yeoman
Yeoman

Postby Retyn » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:31 pm

Karlsson wrote:It's not a rant, its a suggestion about historical accuracy. I'm sorry the fact that I care about that kind of stuff offends you.

More in regards to Russian Batteries...
(Again, assuming that the scale for artillery is 1:2)

Russian guns were divided into these types of groups:

2 guns made a platoon
2 Platoons made a Division (4 guns)
3 Platoons made a half-company (6 guns)
2 Half-Comps made a Company / Battery (12 guns)

So making Russian batteries at 1,2, 3, and 6 guns units would be the historical way to go. When reading the Order of Battle for Russian Forces at Borodino in 1812, each Russian Infantry Division (which had an average of 12 battalions each, which is what a player usually brings in game) had 1 heavy Battery (12lbers) and 2 Light Batteries (6lbers) attached to them. Thats a whole 36 guns (18 in game) for a single division for Russia 1812.

Who said that offended me? i was just questioning if that "fact" is true. If you meant that russians used 6 pounders along divisions then that is true, but i find that guns among the french regiments were 2 or 4 pounders, not 6 pounders usually
"Win with ability, not with numbers!" - Alexander Vasilyevich Suvorov

Return to “The Napoleonic TW 3 Room”