The Case for Making Heavy Cavalry Units Smaller:

For all info, download links and general discussions on NTW3.
Karlsson
Villein
Villein

The Case for Making Heavy Cavalry Units Smaller:

Postby Karlsson » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:50 pm

From the patch-work reading I have done on the subject, Heavy Cavalry was organized into brigades of usually (almost always) 2, or more regiments. This doctrine is represented fairly well in game, but there is a major flaw. The Brigade is ONE unit. It charges as ONE. It wins or loses as ONE. In reality, Brigades did sometimes charge but only 1 regiment at a time. The Lead half would be in front charging ( 2 lines thick) and the Tailing half would then decide to charge forward with the Lead half, go around and flank, or counter charge any enemy cavalry that is trying to flank the Lead half. Cutting the current Heavy cavalry unit sizes in half I believe would benefit cavalry and allow it to be used in a proper fashion. A Heavy cavalry squadron in the charge would be 2 lines deep, but when you try to charge a whole brigade 2 lines deep, only the unit you are charging will actually be impacted. The massive overlap caused by a realistic Charging formation with an 82-92 strength regiment means that the wings will simply IMPACT but not register in game as a CHARGE. Charging with a Brigade in a thicker formation is even less effective since the Tailing half just sits there while the front does the fighting.

I understand why having Heavies in large units is good for balance however. They force players to commit to either going with them (thus decreasing quality and/or amount of the rest of army) or without them. However, (always another "However" :p ) now that Infantry squares have been done away with for many units, an Cavalry can now "IMPACT" cohesion of enemy infantry it is charging, I believe a general decrease in stats to Heavy cavalry is in order.

TheRomanRuler
Villein
Villein

Re: The Case for Making Heavy Cavalry Units Smaller:

Postby TheRomanRuler » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:43 pm

Also in real life portion of cavalry to infantry was much smaller, but arguably cavalry was far more useful and effective in real life.
So i say make cavalry smaller but keep the current stats for next patch, and adjust only after we have seen how useful they are after they have become smaller.

Lord Cosak
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord Cosak » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:35 am

With small-sized heavy cavalry, the effect of numbers would be too devastating on their morale, and that can't be modded (hard-coded). Moreover heavy cavalry was almost always used in big packs. There's no mention of a small squadron of cuirassiers charging in any meaningful napoleonic battle.

@RomanRuler : you are wrong, in many battles there was a 1:3 ratio in numbers between cavalry and infantry, so actualyl there should be more cavalry in NTW3 to match this ratio.

TheRomanRuler
Villein
Villein

Postby TheRomanRuler » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:08 am

Lord Cosak wrote:@RomanRuler : you are wrong, in many battles there was a 1:3 ratio in numbers between cavalry and infantry, so actualyl there should be more cavalry in NTW3 to match this ratio.

Oh, interesting. Thanks for correcting me.

Return to “The Napoleonic TW 3 Room”