7.5 Beta Impressions:

For all info, download links and general discussions on NTW3.
Karlsson
Villein
Villein

7.5 Beta Impressions:

Postby Karlsson » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:18 pm

On Artillery:

Finally Artillery is relevant now, which is awesome :-). I have noticed that battle lines start forming much farther from each other which is much more realistic. Here are a few things to consider:
-3 pounder guns for Prussia 1806. I remember reading somewhere that Jena-Auerstadt era Prussian infantry battalions had 3-lber battalion/regimental guns. giving them single or 2 gun batteries would be nice in case people wanted to make a historical build.
-France 1811 6 lber and 12 lber battiers are a bit too large in my opinion. Maybe keeping it at 4 guns would be perfectly fine. (4 is also an even number)
-France 1811 still only has the ability to bring 1 single battery of 6lber Horse artillery, where it would be nice to have 2 should a player decide to act as a "Cavalry Marshal" in a large game.

On Cavalry:

Now that artillery has been made very good, I have noticed Cavalry have been less effective as a blitzing force which can win you the game in minutes (should you get lucky). Now it is used in a more defensive fashion, with emphasis on Charging High-Priority Units, and counter-charging to defend those HPUs. Large amounts of cheaper light cavalry seems to be most effective. (I will make my opinions on the organization of heavy cavalry known in a later, separate post)

On Infantry:

It seems that the nerf to the morale of charging infantry has been overdone. Maybe a split of the difference would suffice. Infantry shooting stamina also feels like it has been lowered, even though the fire rates have been lowered by 10 as well.

Interesting Idea for infantry: The variable shooting stats for infantry is a very good idea in my opinion that adds a level of chaos >:-). However, is it at all possible to have the SIZE of the unit vary as well? Like for units that get a decrease to stats should get 5-10 extra men and units that get worse stats get 5-10 less, depending upon the severity of the stat change.

On the General Flow of a Battle:

The game has transformed from a Fast 100 meter Sprint, to a 26.2 mile Marathon in terms of feel. Large armies that allow for "Acceptable Losses" make more sense to bring.
Artillery is now the main arm to plan your army around. Players now have a choice to decide whether to be mobile with Horse artillery and try to rush good ground at the beginning of a game, or be more passive and try to form grande batteries with foot guns.

Rodriguez
Villein
Villein

Re: 7.5 Beta Impressions:

Postby Rodriguez » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:28 pm

Wait it's out?? What is it that I should do to get this juicy beta?? Can't see it on moddb.

Karlsson
Villein
Villein

Postby Karlsson » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:07 pm

If you have discord, its on the site Lepic keeps promoting. http://ntw3.thelordz.org

Rodriguez
Villein
Villein

Postby Rodriguez » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:42 am

Thanks!

HANNlBALlC
Serf

Postby HANNlBALlC » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:15 am

Lord Cosak
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord Cosak » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:26 am

Thank you Karlsson for your feedback. We got other feedbacks on Discord and PMs, who are all very welcome. We don't follow or deny blindly any remark, this beta testing is about balancing the new gameplay.

France 1811 large batteries will remain, as to display France's ability (and main asset) to gather enough guns in one spot during a battle.

For infantry charges, we aim at making them better prepared, with morale supporting troops (elite), or dedicated grenadiers, and even a second line supporting from behind. An early frontal charge with only regular line infantry should fail 99% of the time.

Return to “The Napoleonic TW 3 Room”