My thoughts about the mod.

Downloads, info and technical help for Napoleonic Total War 3
Branchez
Villein
Villein

Postby Branchez » Sun May 15, 2016 1:39 am

Hello my lords, I hope you don't mind, and that I didn't do something I shouldn't, but I created this topic in order to share with you my opinion about this mod and in the same time make some suggestions, ask a few questions and also point out the problems I have with it.

I only recently found out about this mod and I am very glad I did but disappointed at myself for not noticing it before. Before I used to play vanilla and DarthMod most of the time, but now that I found this mod, those are out of the question. I am pleasantly surprised and even tho I haven't been playing it for a long time I like it a lot. The sheer amount of detail and quality of this mod and also a lot of invested time and work behind it must be respected. The uniforms, new units, sounds, visuals overall feel of the battles and the gameplay just screaming awesome.

If you knew me, the fact that I registered here on your website and that I am investing time to think about this and write it here (yes I like to think a lot before writing something :D) speaks about the quality of the mod itself (if you didn't guess already I don't do this often, better said I rarely do it). So I must say that you guys did an awesome job, and the more I discover about this mod the more you will see me say this. Good job indeed and keep up the good work.

And now to the things I don't like or rather don't understand in the greater picture. I will add more stuff when I notice it or remember it (can't expect me to remember everything, especially since I am studying and doing a full time job) to this post if it can be edited or maybe by adding comments?
Now to the first problem I experienced.

First thing that struck my mind and made me rise my brow was the (in)accuracy of the muskets. Now, knowing the story behind line battles and muskets I appreciate the fact that you made this much more historically accurate than it was in vanilla or any other mod but I still encountered some "problems" sort to say. In the first battle I fought (started French campaign) against Austria I flanked an enemy unit with two of my own units whilst one was facing it straight on. Tried shooting enemy from the side to no avail, very very few kills, also tried getting behind enemy unit with my french skirmishers, you can't really expect me to pronounce the name nor even remember it, I almost came to melee distance behind it and still got almost no kills whatsoever (from a limited play with skirmishers I find them a bit ineffective). It happened few times that even in the face to face fight with fresh unit from extremely close range full volleys get 1 or 2 kills. Now, maybe I don't understand what you did or maybe I didn't account for one factor or the other but I think that accuracy should be buffed just by a little bit. Tiny bit. I guess you aimed for as most historically accurate mod as possible, but did you count that history can't really be presented in a video game in terms that it just makes the game not fun or that playable as video games are supposed to be? I am not saying this mod is not fun or playable or anything like that, quite the opposite, but nothing can be nor should be 100% historically accurate (same thing goes for movies and people don't really understand that). And I am saying that as an history enthusiast. What are your planes or hopes for the future regarding these things? If I may ask.

The other thing that bugged me is connected to the first one, and it's the effectiveness of the artillery. As Napoleon said "God is on the side with the best artillery!". Being gunner himself, he understood the importance of good and effective artillery. And so I think that from what I tried so far (the artillery guns you get when you start the campaign) arty is a bit underpowered. Not much but still noticable I would say. Artillery tends to miss QUITE a lot, which is ok, but I don't really understand a direct him (12pds) through enemy line knocking down 10 enemy grenadiers and they just get up and keep walking like nothing happened. 0 kills. I would need at least 5-6 arty units for arty to be effective, while always concentrating all of them on a single enemy unit? IMHO you should buff artillery just a little bit. I like the way it is right now but I would like even more if arty was more important. In Napoleon's campaigns (I mean the real life not the vanilla game mini campaigns) arty played very important role.

Also the fact that I got almost all my military buildings already built and that the fact that that I get almost all units in the begining. At least in the France region but still. From what I understand you wanted to point out the difference between "minor" and "major" factions that were envolved in Napoleon era wars and the fact that minor ones lagged behind the major ones. But I still liked the idea of building everything from bottom up. I mean come on, I get a Military Academy (highest building in that chain?) but I don't even get basic roads? I don't really feel the progress. I played not that many turns but still enough to get a feeling "that's it?". Do you know what I mean? Please tell me that I am missing something and it's not supposed to be like this.

Now to the actual problem. It's concerning the launcher. Here is a screenshot (sure hope you can see it and I didn't mess something up). You can see that I can't see the whole picture and can't see the last option down there. I can click it but can't see what it says. Also, why is there no description next to that empty check box for audio in the launcher (I mean it was pretty obvious but still it would look better it if actually said what the checkbox is for). Changing the size of the launcher doesn't help.

http://prnt.sc/b45k49

Now I will give you an advice as a student of economy (final year). You really need to do something about the marketing of the mod. Some trailers, short videos now and then while waiting for a new update, let's plays, etc. And spread the word around a bit more. This mod deserves more attention.

And finally I would like to ask something of you. As I invested time to write this with the best possible intention in mind, I would really like you to invest time to read this and adequately respond. Sorry for writing a life story here but I think it for the best. And please don't make me wait for 2 or 3 weeks for a response.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Lord Fullin
Lord
Lord

Re: My thoughts about the mod.

Postby Lord Fullin » Sun May 15, 2016 3:59 am

The battle mechanics of the mod are primarelly focus on Multiplayer games.

The AI is dumb, and no matter what that cannot be fixed.

Play the campaign for the joy of conquering the world.

But if you go for a real challenge, come to the MP world... and you´ll find out , that no matter how stupid your oponent is, he will look like Patton compared to the AI.
Sauve qui peut!' 'Nous sommes trahis!'

Sloop
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Sloop » Sun May 15, 2016 4:36 am

#2) No one can find it: ("You really need to do something about the marketing of the mod. Some trailers, short videos now and then while waiting for a new update, let's plays, etc. And spread the word around a bit more. This mod deserves more attention." ~Branchez)

#1) It is extremely difficult to download and install the mod. The instructions on TWC alone are enough to scare away anyone wanting to casually try it. True, I am a computer imbecile, but difficult downloads and patches at multiple sites is too much for this old man. Where is the latest patch in the Lordz Mod section? The average player will never try this. It took 3 Lordz and a case of beer to get it on my PC. I gave up promoting the mod because it's too much trouble for most Vanilla players and too complicated for idiots like me.

OK, I feel better, I'm done.

Branchez
Villein
Villein

Postby Branchez » Sun May 15, 2016 5:09 am

Lord Fullin wrote:The battle mechanics of the mod are primarelly focus on Multiplayer games.

The AI is dumb, and no matter what that cannot be fixed.

Play the campaign for the joy of conquering the world.

But if you go for a real challenge, come to the MP world... and you´ll find out , that no matter how stupid your oponent is, he will look like Patton compared to the AI.

I had no idea this mod focus is on the MP. At least the battle mechanics, the part I care about the most. This saddens me greatly.

As for the Ai can't be fixed I think you are very wrong. Darth made an amazing job with both Battle and Campaign AI. But that's basically the only thing he focused on in his mod.

As for the MP, I'm quite scare actually. Haven't played it before in NTW. Tried it once or twice, but I couldn't figure out the rules and stuff. Talking about vanilla that is. I wouldn't really like to try this MP yet as I don't even know the units there are :)

Branchez
Villein
Villein

Postby Branchez » Sun May 15, 2016 5:11 am

Sloop wrote:My thoughts about the mod.

#2) No one can find it: ("You really need to do something about the marketing of the mod. Some trailers, short videos now and then while waiting for a new update, let's plays, etc. And spread the word around a bit more. This mod deserves more attention." ~Branchez)

#1) It is extremely difficult to download and install the mod. The instructions on TWC alone are enough to scare away anyone wanting to casually try it. True, I am a computer imbecile, but difficult downloads and patches at multiple sites is too much for this old man. Where is the latest patch in the Lordz Mod section? The average player will never try this. It took 3 Lordz and a case of beer to get it on my PC. I gave up promoting the mod because it's too much trouble for most Vanilla players and too complicated for idiots like me.

OK, I feel better, I'm done.

Yeah I guess installation and instructions could be more simplified and certainly better visually presented (this is crucial) here and on the TWC. There's just information spread out all over the place.

Wym...
Baronet
Baronet

Postby Wym... » Sun May 15, 2016 3:42 pm

As has been said this mod is only really used for MP with med unit size and funds......Thou since 5.1 I somewhat agree with the two points concerning musket/rifle fire and cannon fire........both of which have been somewhat nurfed in this version,thou 5.2 may re address these discrepancies as I also agree that some slight buff is needed for both,let alone my gripe of unit spacing/stacking which is leading towards to many blob charges where musket fire has little or no defensive effect?we will see shortly when 5.2 is released.
"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but by God they frighten me"

Branchez
Villein
Villein

Postby Branchez » Sun May 15, 2016 5:52 pm

Wym... wrote:As has been said this mod is only really used for MP with med unit size and funds......Thou since 5.1 I somewhat agree with the two points concerning musket/rifle fire and cannon fire........both of which have been somewhat nurfed in this version,thou 5.2 may re address these discrepancies as I also agree that some slight buff is needed for both,let alone my gripe of unit spacing/stacking which is leading towards to many blob charges where musket fire has little or no defensive effect?we will see shortly when 5.2 is released.

Ohh I really like playing SP battles. When do you guys play MP? I tried last night but there was no one available with this mod. There are very few who play even with vanilla let alone mods. Or am I trying to play in the wrong time during the day? Well if the focus is on MP then there is point in me talking about research and technology and some other things in campaign I had in mind. Ohh well.

Wym...
Baronet
Baronet

Postby Wym... » Wed May 18, 2016 5:37 pm

Every evening from 8pm UK time is good as is weekend afternoon/evenings
"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but by God they frighten me"

Return to “NTW3 General Discussions”