“Legion Infernale”

Downloads, info and technical help for Napoleonic Total War 3
Jakob
Baronet
Baronet

Re: “Legion Infernale”

Postby Jakob » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:30 am

Weee! I was right.
Hur Svenska stålet biter kom låt oss pröfva på. Ur vägen, Moscoviter! Friskt mod, I gossar blå!

Broomstick
Yeoman
Yeoman

Postby Broomstick » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:25 pm

Lord Fullin wrote:hungarian infantry with german helmets...and grenzers pants....kk

stilgar
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby stilgar » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:13 pm

Lord Fullin wrote:http://empire.histofig.com/51-Inf-Rgt.html

I am not sure about facings color in this source ... The blue on 51st facing is referred to as "dark blue" (Osprey's) and "French blue" (napoleonistika.com). Piratul's images also show dark blue facing (I guess those guys did some research as well before making and wearing uniforms).

As for helmets, this is probably a good choice. Helmets were replaced officially by shako's in 1806 (however, many units seems to wear helmets for a few more years). Therefore, the 51st must have worn helmets at Marengo. So, the case for helmet is strong (plus, it looks cooler).

However, if uniforms of 1810-1815 period are strongly preferred in the mod, then Shako should be chosen.

Fullin, sorry for bothering again, but I though these considerations are worth taking into account. Regards!
"Постой-ка, брат мусью ..."

Lord Fullin
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord Fullin » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:09 am

When we researched the austrian army for our mod period 1809-15 we found out that in general the german units kept their helmets for a long while , and the hungarian ones , got replacements for them sooner.

This "romanian" unit being neither german nor hungarian will be represented in game with helmets and hungarian style uniform , following the Histofig pattern.

If any conclusive , evidence on the contrary is supplied, then it will be reviewed , if not , as this, it will march forward.
Sauve qui peut!' 'Nous sommes trahis!'

stilgar
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby stilgar » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:28 am

Fair enough. Thanks a lot, Fullin. Looking forward to that patch.

Jakob
Baronet
Baronet

Postby Jakob » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:36 am

This "romanian" unit being neither german nor hungarian

No, you had "German" units in the Austrian army (generally Austrian, Italian, Czech) and then you had "Hungarian" units. (This included Romanian troops, as well as Croats, Slovaks, and Ruthenians)

That's how I came to understand it. But since the unit's glory days were at Morengo, just give them the football helmet.
Hur Svenska stålet biter kom låt oss pröfva på. Ur vägen, Moscoviter! Friskt mod, I gossar blå!

Ziuk
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Ziuk » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:58 am

Jakob wrote:

No, you had "German" units in the Austrian army (generally Austrian, Italian, Czech) and then you had "Hungarian" units. (This included Romanian troops, as well as Croats, Slovaks, and Ruthenians)

That's how I came to understand it. But since the unit's glory days were at Morengo, just give them the football helmet.

Remember that in that time in Transylvania lived a quite large population of Germans:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transylvanian_Saxons
Habsburg dynasty tended to favor Germans in army and administration.
Among the Quadi at the Granua.

Lord Fullin
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord Fullin » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:22 am

Jakob wrote:

Then shakos are gonna be...because our time period is not Marengos
Sauve qui peut!' 'Nous sommes trahis!'

stilgar
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby stilgar » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:52 pm

Lord Fullin wrote:Then shakos are gonna be...because our time period is not Marengos

That will do, sir. I think we have the Marengo-time version in historical battle already (lol ... I should have loaded historical Marengo and have a look at 51st there. I guess, Desaix did his homework on uniform for 51st.) Cheers!

Lord Liberalis
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord Liberalis » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:23 pm

MP time period is 1809-1815, if anyone missed the info.
To save Russia, we have to burn Moscow.

http://www.Grognards.org
http://www.Napoleon-Souvenirs.com

Zcar
Serf

Postby Zcar » Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:29 pm

Lord Fullin wrote:When we researched the austrian army for our mod period 1809-15 we found out that in general the german units kept their helmets for a long while , and the hungarian ones , got replacements for them sooner.

This "romanian" unit being neither german nor hungarian will be represented in game with helmets and hungarian style uniform , following the Histofig pattern.

If any conclusive , evidence on the contrary is supplied, then it will be reviewed , if not , as this, it will march forward.

Romania did not exist back then, this unit was a Hungarian regiment in which both ethnic Hungarians and Romanians fought. Claiming it to be Romanian or being only ethnically Romanian is highly insulting to Hungarian history. I would add just cause some Hungarian hussars went to France and created a hussar regiment that regiment is not Hungarian politically and those Hungarians did not fight for Hungarian interest, simply some of them were ethnic Hungarians, but at the end it was a French regiment. This is the very case here, Splényi regiment is a Hungarian regiment with ethnic Hungarians and Romanians mostly, and that's it. Lets not even go into that this mod uses Austria in a very bad manner, as the Hungarian Kingdom was never really assimilated into the Austrian realm, and in fact all Habsburg rulers were Austrian Kaiser and Hungarian kings, therefore Habsburg empire would be the proper name if you want to refer to both Austrian empire and Hungarian kingdom. Hungarian nobles every timed rebelled when it was at any risk. As well as speaking about any other "nationality" regiment from the area of Hungarian kingdom is a reflection of modern day Europe back to the 19th century, what is in my opinion, not worthy for proper Historians. Reality is that, there were Italian, Czech, Austrian, and Hungarian regiments, and in Hungarian regiments, depending in the regiment it was often mixed ethnicity, like the Légion Infernale was, tho major non-Hungarian ethnicity regiments maybe only the Grenzinfantry can be called. This does not take away the merit and coolness of ethnich Romanians and Hungarians who fought in the Légion Infernale, but it was never a Romanian regiment, and nor ethnically nor Politically. Have a nice day gentleman and have fun researching history!

Lord Davn

Postby Lord Davn » Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:02 am

Thank you for the info :smile:
“This was their finest hour!” ~Winston Churchill

Return to “NTW3 General Discussions”