Constructive feedback, suggestions, bugs

Downloads, info and technical help for Napoleonic Total War 3
Black Serpent
Villein
Villein

Constructive feedback, suggestions, bugs

Postby Black Serpent » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:54 am

Version NTW3 7.6

Terrific job Lordz, this mod is amazing and hugely appreciated by us fans! Can’t be emphasizd enough how deeply NTW3 changed the game for the better. I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread where fans could put together feedback, report any bugs and give suggestions for improvement in future releases - always assuming a civilized and constructive discussion of course ;)

Below are some points I personally think may be helpful.
:exclaim: - SPC v7.6 Oxfordshire regiment UK doesn’t have a unit card
:exclaim: - Land & Naval: would remove particle trails, imo they look fake, ‘alien invaders’-like

Commodore Wesley re. this and new naval crews!
:arrow: - SPC mod sailing of the Victory seems sluggish compared to other ships, maybe there’s a bug?

:arrow: - SPC Naval: more smoke (Darthmod particle trails ans smoke effects are nice, though granted they slow the game) - already PMd Lordz

:arrow: maybe use a more neutral background color for portraits of generals/admirals (grey? desaturated dark blue?) as well as for the color bands on ship cards (which I guess denote their class?)

:arrow: Naval war of 1812: not sure if it’s possible to add US faction in SPC without home region, but was thinking just a few fleets spawned e.g. in the trading posts in Atlantic or Mediterranean. Their heavy super frigates (Chesapeake, Constellation and of course Constitution!) with black and white color scheme :D could damage British trade and lighter frigates during and after 1812. Also for SP/MP naval battles, would be awesome to have US faction, for frigate duels!

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts,
cheers Lordz

Lord Cosak
Lord
Lord

Re: Constructive feedback, suggestions, bugs

Postby Lord Cosak » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:45 pm

Nothing about the MP battles?

It must be because it's flawless.

Lord Davn

Postby Lord Davn » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:55 pm

Lord Cosak wrote:Nothing about the MP battles? . . It must be because it's flawless.

An unbiased opinion from our our mod leader :techie-hiding:

:exclaim: The v7.7 release will fix the info card & uniform issues:

:exclaim: You can adjust the particle trails in the game graphic setting by lowering the value from ultra or high to suit your own preference.

:arrow: The color background for the Admirals & Generals comes with the pics that we download for the mod.
.....The color bands are from the Grand Fleet mod that Lord Wesley uses for the NTW3 naval mod.
:arrow: Lord Wesley can comment on the rest of your suggestions as his time permits.
“This was their finest hour!” ~Winston Churchill

Black Serpent
Villein
Villein

Postby Black Serpent » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:27 pm

Haha yes, MP battles ARE pretty close to being flawless. Though I HAVE had an issue with 6lb horse artillery (playing as UK at least): if you try to re-limber and move somewhere else it gets stuck and won't move, nor un-limber back where it was and continue shooting - beomes pretty much useless. Happened a couple of times, not sure if it's fixable.

It's not too hard to change image background of generals/admirals' unit cards, if it's just a question of photo shopping an image, and it's not a must to keep the sky-blue background. I *could* have a go at it myself, if you think it's a good idea?

Particle trails: I think the adjustable quantity in the game's graphics settings is "particle effects", which I thought meant the level of detail in smoke, explosions etc, which I'd like to keep high for atmospheric value; What I meant was, the bullet and cannon ball particle trails are I think adjustable in the db pack tables, and imo should be removed altogether ...

Curious to know if adding the US faction is doable? It must be, at least in naval battles as you guys managed to add it for land battles. In the SPC I haven't got a clue if it's possible to hack the initial conditions and add one or more US ships on the map and the US as a faction without a home region in Europe? I've already PM'd Lord Wesley, waiting to hear back.

US ships were very much present in Europe around this time period, fighting the Barbary wars in the Mediterranean. After 1812, their heavy frigates had pretty good success beating Royal Navy equivalent(ish) ships, which shocked and demoralised the Brits. Would be nice to re-enact some of these frigate duels in MP battles. Anyway, if there is interest in this, I'd be happy to provide historical/technical ship details etc (though there must be loads available, the Americans are really proud of this part of their history).

Thanks for your replies, cheers

Lord Davn

Postby Lord Davn » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:35 pm

Black Serpent wrote:It's not too hard to change image background of generals/admirals' unit cards. I *could* have a go at it myself ?
Curious to know if adding the US faction is doable?

Give it a try if you'd like to change the background for the unit cards for the SPC mod. I'll pm you the blank unit card files that we use.

I thought about adding some US naval & land units to the SPC mod but the coding gets complicated in the db tables and would likely make the campaign game more unstable than it already is. The original NTW game was released 8 years ago this month on the 32 bit OS which was predominant at the time. The advance of the 64 bit OS today brings more instability to the campaign in the later turns with all of the mod changes in the db tables.

Black Serpent
Villein
Villein

Postby Black Serpent » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:52 pm

Lord Davn wrote:Give it a try if you'd like to change the background for the unit cards for the SPC mod. I'll pm you the blank unit card files that we use.

Sounds good! Would also help to point me to their parent .pack file, and their path within it (just so I can play around and actually see how it looks like before sending it back).

Lord Davn wrote:I thought about adding some US naval & land units to the SPC mod but the coding gets complicated in the db tables and would likely make the campaign game more unstable than it already is. The original NTW game was released 8 years ago this month on the 32 bit OS which was predominant at the time. The advance of the 64 bit OS today brings more instability to the campaign in the later turns with all of the mod changes in the db tables.

I see, well that's certainly a shame... US land units probably wouldn't be appropriate anyway in SPC, since it's restricted to the European theatre - just a couple of light fleets (merchants and custom US frigates), mainly for the historical immersion and to have an element challenging the Royal Navy (e.g. Atlantic trade and light warships) later in the campaign, would have been a cool addition.

How about adding the US faction in MP naval battles?

skillfultree
Villein
Villein

Postby skillfultree » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:02 am

I'd still like to see other factions added. French Royalist / Bourbons faction? Serb revolt in the Ottoman empire?

JohnyNawalony
Serf

Postby JohnyNawalony » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:10 pm

The Duchy of Warsaw's [Polish] Uniforms and names are in some cases pretty unhistorical.

Polish infantry regiments should be called for instance Pułk 3. Piechoty [3rd Infantry Regiment] instead of "3. Pułk Liniowy" [3rd Line Infantry Regiment] as it is unhistorical

Polish units wear indigo greatcoats with 2 rows of buttons, historically they wore grey greatcoats with 1 row

Polish National Guard is called in-game "Gwardia Narodowa ~Pijacy~" [National Guard ~Drunkards~] it doesn't really make sense

6th Infantry Regiments wear white uniforms with blue facings. The only regiment in the polish army that wore such uniform was 13th Infantry regiment.
Assuming that you want the uniforms to be accurate with the 1810 uniform regulation [The regulation stated that all regiments should wear the same uniforms, but many regiments derogated from the rules and for instance the 5th infantry regiment's grenadiers wore a different bearskin plate], they should wear such uniform [without the golden strap on the czapka, it was reserved for NCOs in the polish army

According to the 1810 regulation, all infantry units should wear the same kind of uniforms - Indigo, with white facings [3 regiments didn't receive the new uniforms, because at the time they were fighting in Spain along with the French army, namely 4., 7. and 9th infantry regiment, in addition the 9th wore french shakos]

All drummers should wear white uniforms with white facings and 6 chevrons on each sleeve

Polish Cuirassiers instead of being named 14-ty Pułk Kirasjerów, or Półk 14. Iazdy Kirassierów is called "14-ty kirasjerzy". Their trumpeter has an all-white uniform, whilst he should wear a white uniform, with gold-red details

Prince Poniatowski should, and theres a small typo in his unit name, instead of "Józef Poniatowski [Husarzy] should be changed to Józef Poniatowski [Huzarzy]

And finally, the artillerist green should be a bit brighter

Lord Cosak
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord Cosak » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:48 am

Thank you for the feedback.

Haven't you noticed no unit is named "Regiment XXX"? No "Régiment de ligne", or "brigade", and so on... It's the same for the Polish, so no "pulk", as it can easily mislead about the units' scale.

Black Serpent
Villein
Villein

Postby Black Serpent » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:26 am

Black Serpent wrote:Haha yes, MP battles ARE pretty close to being flawless. Though I HAVE had an issue with 6lb horse artillery (playing as UK at least): if you try to re-limber and move somewhere else it gets stuck and won't move, nor un-limber back where it was and continue shooting - beomes pretty much useless. Happened a couple of times, not sure if it's fixable.

Quick correction, MP Classic Battles: it's the 9lb horse artillery (Britain 1915) with the issue. I've had it again, once I tried to re-limber and re-deploy it became useless: wouldn't re-limber, wouldn't fire any more.

Also, SPC: Austria and Russia have vanilla flags in campaign UI (armies and navies too) - in battle and at top (end-turn), flags are OK I think
Minor issue: Spain general bodyguard's uniform crazy, multicoloured

Cheerios

iSandlwana
Serf

Postby iSandlwana » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:06 pm

Very interesting reading, especially about the Polish Legions. I have been reading recently about them, and trying to do very limited research. Would be great if we can get it more historical, and grow the choices for Poland so it resembles the composition of the Army of the Duchy of Warsaw.

Also an advocate for the French Royalist Army. I did do a lot of research and preliminary work on the feasibility of making a Quiberon/Invasion of France 1795 French Royalist faction. I think that would have been really interesting ... if it is still an idea, I do still have all the information :)

Black Serpent
Villein
Villein

Postby Black Serpent » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:34 am

Is there a way to play the new campaign (SPC) in multiplayer mode? Vanilla had this option, to play with a human opponent, selecting number of minutes per turn, whether they can play as the AI etc? Cheers

Lord Davn

Postby Lord Davn » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:34 am

iSandlwana wrote:Very interesting reading, especially about the Polish Legions. Would be great if we can get it more historical, and grow the choices for Poland so it resembles the composition of the Army of the Duchy of Warsaw.

The Polish Legions were in the service of the Kingdom of Italy at the start the 1805 Campaign.
https://usacac.army.mil/CAC2/CGSC/CARL/nafziger/805LCR.pdf

If the Duchy of Warsaw is granted nation status in the Campaign game, they have a sizable roster to recruit units. However as The Duchy of Warsaw was created in 1807 by Napoleon as part of the Treaty of Tilsit with Prussia, they are not playable at the start of the 1805 Campaign.

reef75
Villein
Villein

Postby reef75 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:19 am

I had posted this elsewhere but now realise this is the bugs thread. Light infantry not being able to skirmish and mounted firearm cavalry unable to dismount or shoot. These are all in the single player campaign. Wondering if planned to be patched or works as intended. Great mod btw.

Lord Liberalis
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord Liberalis » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:49 pm

Thanks, the mounted infantry like dragoons and other cavalry with pistols and carabines have been removed due to their badly scripted behavior by CA. But don't quote me on that, I'm not the expert here.

For the light infantry i think of you give them tje ability to skirmish you can't jave both square and skirmish buttons. But I think i'm wrong about this.
To save Russia, we have to burn Moscow.

http://www.Grognards.org
http://www.Napoleon-Souvenirs.com

Lord Liberalis
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord Liberalis » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:53 pm

JohnyNawalony wrote:The Polish National Guard is called in-game "Gwardia Narodowa ~Pijacy~" [National Guard ~Drunkards~] it doesn't really make sense

This mods aim is historical realism. What is wrong with the nickname ? Aren't the Poles the inventors of vodka ? (Or so they claim??!) :razz:

Just pulling your leg here, thank you for your remarks and constructive feedback.
To save Russia, we have to burn Moscow.

http://www.Grognards.org
http://www.Napoleon-Souvenirs.com

Vilain de Bourg-en-Bresse
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Vilain de Bourg-en-Bresse » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:21 pm

Lord Liberalis wrote:Thanks, the mounted infantry like dragoons and other cavalry with pistols and carabines have been removed due to their badly scripted behavior by CA. But don't quote me on that, I'm not the expert here.

For the light infantry, I think, if you give them the ability to skirmish you can't have both square and skirmish buttons. But I think I'm wrong about this.

ad 1. I.e. Ottomans, Mamluks, Sept-Isles, UK of USA(?) and Persia (Iranshahr) continue to behave badly.
ad 2. It is indeed possible to combine both options, but the possibility to switch between loose formation and square (and vice versa) instantanuously would have been too strong.

Sorry for being late with my priceless expertise.
VENIVIDICITIDI

reef75
Villein
Villein

Postby reef75 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:45 pm

Thanks guys for the answers, I understand why now.

Black Serpent
Villein
Villein

Postby Black Serpent » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:54 pm

MP Classic Battles: On the 1812 US faction's German audio ("ja, sir!", etc) - is it possible to import the American audio from Empire TW?

nico.venuti
Villein
Villein

Postby nico.venuti » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:46 pm

Hope this is the best place.

When cavalry attacks a square it sometimes happens that 5-15 cavalrymen die inexplicably while being in the back of the attacking unit and quite far form the square (in the game scale it looks like 20 meters). They just fall to the ground with their horse while strolling.
(Ran some tests with the square never firing).

Black Serpent
Villein
Villein

Postby Black Serpent » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:03 pm

MP Classic Battles:
Scenario battles:
    The scenario battle of Barrosa [2v2] crashes to desktop at the loading screen
    The unit mechanics and gameplay in Scenarios appears to be a little different compared to Classic Battles: infantry and artillery seem to be generally less accurate, some cavalry parthfinding is a bit off, sometimes units get bugged when garrisoning (can't get out, sometime appear to crash or desynch the game)

Campaign:
    As with Scenarios, the unit rosters seem a tiny bit antiquated (in the sense that there are more generic units rather than specific regiments) and their mechanics and pathfinding (esp cav) are a bit off, at least compared to Classic Battles mechanics (e.g. if i charge an enemy cavalry unit and it decides to keep walking/running to some point, I can't engage it and force it to fight, neither is it taking significant casualties, so i have to keep right-clicking and chasing it a long time)

Black Serpent
Villein
Villein

Postby Black Serpent » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:56 pm

Sorry for the random bits of suggestions, I'm just noting as I play small issues here and there:

SPCN France: many unit names are incorrect in French, having "Francais" at the beginning + Cuirassiers, Dragons, 20eme Reg Francais Dragons, Hussards, Carabiniers. Sapeurs is written with a double "p", while I think it should be a single. Suggestion: Drop the "Francais" in front of unit names, just leave them as Hussards, Dragons etc (as in Classic Batles) - I suspect its original purpose was to differentiate between French and foreign troops in the French army. However, it is sufficient to designate only the foreign troops by their nationality. If you feel it is necessary, however, then I believe (this must be checked with a native French speaker - I could do it if required) that is should be "Dragons français" (français at the end, and nationality doesn't require capitalization in French, as it does in English)

SPCN Austria: The Hungarian hussars general unit has a uniform issue with its shako (see attached picture, looks like an issue with the ‘skin’ file).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kw8akakptlk165n/SPCN_HungarianHussarsGen.jpg?dl=0
Last edited by Black Serpent on Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lord Davn

Postby Lord Davn » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:47 pm

Black Serpent wrote:Sorry for the random bits of suggestions, I'm just noting as I play small issues here and there:

I'll ask our new Lord MightyOwl to review the French text roster.

Black Serpent
Villein
Villein

Postby Black Serpent » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:57 pm

Lord Davn wrote:
Black Serpent wrote:Sorry for the random bits of suggestions, I'm just noting as I play small issues here and there:

I'll ask our new Lord MightyOwl to review the French text roster.

Great, thanks! I would also suggest to change the uniform of the Royal Engineers *officer* to blue and white (as Major Hogan in the "Sharpe" series), as in the image below (number 1):

And/or [for Classic Battles] maybe include this engineers unit in the British peninsular army, if this colour scheme is an early(er than 1815) version of the uniform?

Black Serpent
Villein
Villein

Postby Black Serpent » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:29 am

On the same topic, I noticed that the officer of the Royal Engineers has a full beard in the game. While it’s true that many sapper units in Europe had a tradition to wear beards, it was rather unusual/irregular to have them in the British army, with few exceptions, such as one or two sargeants in infantry pioneers. So, the more tough, rugged soldiers, rather than the clean shaven ‘officer gentlemen’. It was only by the mid 19th century, in the Crimean war, that beard and side whiskers became tolerated and even encouraged.

Return to “NTW3 General Discussions”