Whats up with people being angry about charging generals?

For all info, download links and general discussions on NTW3.
AGermanGuy
Villein
Villein

Whats up with people being angry about charging generals?

Postby AGermanGuy » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:55 am

Everytime I charge Generals people are upset about it (they do not necessarily flame). I do not know if this is just a gentlemen agreement only between RG guys (they were the ones telling me aout it) or the whole NTW community. However, I do not understand it. If you do not protect your general enough that I am able to reach him in meele range, then I sure as hell deserve killing him. The general is the single most important unit in NTW, he gives morale and buffs, and if he dies your army is alot likely to rout. It would be really dumb to not charge him if I have the ability to do it. I just came out of a match with one of RGs clan members and if I had not charged his general I would have lost the battle.

This is not to be seen as flaming against RG ,or if everyone does it, the whole NTW community, I just wanted to throw this out here because I think that gentlemen agreement is stupid. However, shooting at a general is stupid, I understand that.

EmperorGreatUnknown
Villein
Villein

Re: Whats up with people being angry about charging generals?

Postby EmperorGreatUnknown » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:59 am

It is generally bad sportsmanship to single out the general unit, especially with artillery. Melee and small arms shooting is fine usually, unless you chasing the general all across the map. Generals in bedded in units are usually fair game. If you are unsure it best to just ask about the policy of targeting generals before the battle starts.

Lord Cosak
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord Cosak » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:16 am

EmperorGreatUnknown wrote:It is generally bad sportsmanship to single out the general unit, especially with artillery. Melee and small arms shooting is fine usually, unless you chasing the general all across the map. Generals in bedded in units are usually fair game. If you are unsure it best to just ask about the policy of targeting generals before the battle starts.

Wrong. It's explicitly written in the mod description: the general is not a "sacred" unit. The rule is explicit and official.

Since version 6.0 this mod has been designed to consider the general as any other unit, including targetting it with artillery or charging it. On real battlefields countless generals died, so there's no reason they should be spared by some unheard napoleonic sportsmanship. Like chess, protecting your general/king is part of the strategy.

A general left alone behind the enemy line has strictly no reason to be spared, like Napoleon in Maloyroslavets or Jourdan in Talavera who were miraculously saved after being charged.

Alongside with this rule, the general can also be used to charge (quite uselessly though).

Retyn
Yeoman
Yeoman

Postby Retyn » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:31 pm

Lord Cosak wrote:Wrong. It's explicitly written in the mod description: the general is not a "sacred" unit. The rule is explicit and official.

Since version 6.0 this mod has been designed to consider the general as any other unit, including targetting it with artillery or charging it. On real battlefields countless generals died, so there's no reason they should be spared by some unheard napoleonic sportsmanship. Like chess, protecting your general/king is part of the strategy.

A general left alone behind the enemy line has strictly no reason to be spared, like Napoleon in Maloyroslavets or Jourdan in Talavera who were miraculously saved after being charged.

Alongside with this rule, the general can also be used to charge (quite uselessly though).

Yes it is permitted to kill the general, he is not sacred, but players from older versions don't target the enemy's general, so they expect the same from the enemy. Its not against the rules to be angry you know :)
"Win with ability, not with numbers!" - Alexander Vasilyevich Suvorov

Chromey
Baronet
Baronet

Postby Chromey » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:31 am

your right Retyn my young friend, people should not get upset when losing Generals. They should be hunted down the the sly weasels they are. I am an Grognard of ntw3 mod and I have gotten upset at plenty of people killing my General as it was taboo before but not any more. This mod has sadly turned from a gentlemans sport to a war of savage and unmerciful , micro managing murder haha!
Death to Tyranny

AGermanGuy
Villein
Villein

Postby AGermanGuy » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:38 am

Chromey wrote:your right Retyn my young friend, people should not get upset when losing Generals. They should be hunted down the the sly weasels they are. I am an Grognard of ntw3 mod and I have gotten upset at plenty of people killing my General as it was taboo before but not any more. This mod has sadly turned from a gentlemans sport to a war of savage and unmerciful , micro managing murder haha!

I see this argument all the time and yet havent seen any reason what this has to do with gentlemen sport. The general is the single most important unit in a TW army. He gives a big morale boost to units around him, can further buff a units morale with inspire and rally and makes you lose alot of morale if he dies. I have won games just because i killed the enemy general while mine was still alive. Not killing them probably would have resulted in my defeat.

Lord Cosak
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord Cosak » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:06 am

Chromey wrote:your right Retyn my young friend, people should not get upset when losing Generals. They should be hunted down the the sly weasels they are. I am an Grognard of ntw3 mod and I have gotten upset at plenty of people killing my General as it was taboo before but not any more. This mod has sadly turned from a gentlemans sport to a war of savage and unmerciful , micro managing murder haha!

That is the difference between the gentlemen's Seven-Years-War, with rules of engagement casually agreed between generals before the battle, and napoleonic warfare.

Lord Lepic
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord Lepic » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:54 pm

If you wage war, do it energetically and with severity. This is the only way to make it shorter and consequently less inhuman.

Chromey
Baronet
Baronet

Postby Chromey » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:04 pm

Great points made by Cosak and Lepic. Unless every 1 agrees to not kill each other Generals then it will be assumed that all Generals are fair play.
Death to Tyranny

Return to “The Napoleonic TW 3 Room”