New version 3a

For multiplayer games/campaigns
Lord Liberalis
Lord
Lord

New version 3a

Postby Lord Liberalis » Thu May 19, 2011 7:16 pm

WOW, what a significant improvement to the last versions.

Had a battle vs the AI. Damn great. Watched it like a movie. :cool:
To save Russia, we have to burn Moscow.

http://www.Grognards.org
http://www.Napoleon-Souvenirs.com

Wym...
Baronet
Baronet

Re: New version 3a

Postby Wym... » Fri May 20, 2011 9:12 am

Lord Liberalis wrote:WOW, what a significant improvement to the last versions.

when do we get our grubby hands on it?? :wink:
"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but by God they frighten me"

Lord Desaix
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord Desaix » Fri May 20, 2011 11:03 am

Wym... wrote:

when do we get our grubby hands on it?? :wink:

I guess you need to check in the LG forum... :wink:

Wym...
Baronet
Baronet

Postby Wym... » Fri May 20, 2011 11:18 am

Lord Desaix wrote:I guess you need to check in the LG forum... :wink:

Ahh i guess we're talking HWLG lol
"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but by God they frighten me"

Somerset

Postby Somerset » Fri May 20, 2011 11:29 am

Lib. come to Peninsular War for some TCP/IP game, AJ and Dougie may need some support. No russians now but you may like to fight for the Spanish and The Portugese :wink:
Be careful French ranks are full of good officers; Gunner,VC, lancier ... :cool:

Lord Liberalis
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord Liberalis » Fri May 20, 2011 2:43 pm

Azor wrote:Lib. come to Peninsular War for some TCP/IP game, AJ and Dougie may need some support. No russians now but you may like to fight for the Spanish and The Portugese :wink:
Be careful French ranks are full of good officers; Gunner,VC, lancier ... :cool:

What ? Can you be more specific ?
To save Russia, we have to burn Moscow.

http://www.Grognards.org
http://www.Napoleon-Souvenirs.com

Somerset

Postby Somerset » Fri May 20, 2011 2:50 pm

Lord Liberalis wrote:
Azor wrote:Lib. come to Peninsular War for some TCP/IP game, AJ and Dougie may need some support. No russians now but you may like to fight for the Spanish and The Portugese :wink:

What ? Can you be more specific ?

viewtopic.php?f=135&t=12225 :wink:

Lord Von Clausewitz
Honourary Lord
Honourary Lord

Postby Lord Von Clausewitz » Sat May 21, 2011 7:21 pm

Yep the more i play Histwar vs the PC the more i love it, especially in the latest version.

Press G to check the new GUI, i love it.

Also, i have been in constant discussion with JMM and i made a few suggestions that will make Histwar the ultimate nap simulation even more than now.
The surprise will be coming soon ;)

VC
La garde meurt mais ne se rend pas

druid
Baronet
Baronet

Postby druid » Sun May 22, 2011 10:56 am

Oooo

Maybe i should dump the Mrs and fire the old LG up again then
Druid
Nerdus Realiticus
"No Wife, no Horse, no Moustache."

Lord Gunner24
Baronet
Baronet

Postby Lord Gunner24 » Sun May 22, 2011 12:32 pm

The latest version plays the best (by far) that I've seen day one.
Gunner24
NBC founder 2008-2017.
http://napbc.freeforums.org/

Lord Gunner24
Baronet
Baronet

Postby Lord Gunner24 » Tue May 31, 2011 9:49 pm

Patch 03b (RC1) (compatible 03a)

http://www.histwar.org/mods/file.php?id=168

Add a new command in new GUI in order to control both the initiative and AI activation for all units of a corps

JMM
Gunner24
NBC founder 2008-2017.

[N]Clinch
Knight
Knight

Postby [N]Clinch » Tue May 31, 2011 11:35 pm

I hear the "new idea" for HW and if it is worked into the game, it would be awesome. We will have 2 fine games here and hopefully an ACW mod for histwar.

druid
Baronet
Baronet

Postby druid » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:38 am

mm actual control? This does sound better.

Both levels of play- great.
Druid
Nerdus Realiticus

Lord Gunner24
Baronet
Baronet

Postby Lord Gunner24 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:03 pm

actual control? This does sound better

I'm not sure what this possible new feature is, but if it makes it more like a TW game I'd not be in favour of it.

One of the best features of HW is the delayed Corps orders, having to plan ahead, giving the orders and having to wait while they get carried out, depending how far away the CC is from the CiC.

Anything that makes HW an instant click click click game would be a backward move i m o, although of course it might get more people playing it ????.
Gunner24
NBC founder 2008-2017.

druid
Baronet
Baronet

Postby druid » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:31 pm

I mean control in the sense that the player feels as if his orders have actually been carried out to the best of the Ai's ability....sorely missing from the original versions and no doubt put off a lot of buyers post release.

A good balance between allowing the army to actually take on some of the player's skill and a good AI based on written orders would represent real battle in a good way.
Druid
Nerdus Realiticus

Lord Gunner24
Baronet
Baronet

Postby Lord Gunner24 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:48 pm

army to actually take on some of the player's skill

What is the players "skill" in HW ?.

I would say it is to be in the right place, at the right time, with the right force, if you do that you win, if you don't, you struggle to avoid defeat.

HW has had lots of bugs, some of them annoying, some of them serious, but the vast majority of those have now been dealt with. I find it strange how there is still this general feeling (by a lot of people who don't play MP) that there is something "wrong" that needs "fixing".

Sure the bugs need to be fixed, but the general concept of the game does not need any fixing to make it playable in MP.

I'm sure HW can be improved, most things can be improved over time, but the big picture of HW is getting your guys in the right position - and that all works brilliantly.
Gunner24
NBC founder 2008-2017.

Lord Von Clausewitz
Honourary Lord
Honourary Lord

Postby Lord Von Clausewitz » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:16 pm

I am to blame for part of the changes made recently as I discuss a lot of ideas with JMM daily.

Rest assured Gunner that nothing is going to change in the core of the game, nothing is going to happen to the order delays.

Most changes I suggested are more graphical than gameplay. Wait for version 4, you will thank me and JMM then.

I did suggest some added options to the corps AI to allow the player to disable some AI reactions if he wants to do something different than what the AI has planed.
For example: do you know that if you are attacking 1 regiment with 2 regiments, the AI does not plan to flank the enemy regiment with his extra regiment?
The new changes in 3B allow for local micromanagement as to take better advantage of local numerical superiority. The game will not play like TW, will not be a click game. It will just allow some more user control by reducing unit initiative at the corps level instead of having to do it for every unit of the corps.

I am testing this version while on vacation and it is becoming perfect.

VC

druid
Baronet
Baronet

Postby druid » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:37 pm

VC that actually inspires me to play this again.

I gave up MP after a few weeks due to this and it may finally allow fo rcommander skill to play a more meaningful role

:biggrin:
Druid
Nerdus Realiticus

Lord Gunner24
Baronet
Baronet

Postby Lord Gunner24 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:39 pm

Hmmm, I'm not so sure about this mm idea.

It is possible, if you want to do it, to mm every single unit now, it always has been, which to me is a BAD thing.

You can play a MP game with someone who controls every single unit and they get no order delays, everything does what they want instantly.....this is not a good feature and I asked JMM if there could be a limit on the number of units people can take direct control over. He said he would give it some thought.

The only mm in HW should be scouting, garrison built up area's - and a few limited other moves.

Anyway, we will see what we get as time goes by. If you encourage mm then you know for sure some "clever" so and so will use it, all the time - avoiding order delays, which is against the fundamental idea of HW. I have seen it done once and that person is crossed of my list of MP players - not an NBC member of course.
Gunner24
NBC founder 2008-2017.

Lord Von Clausewitz
Honourary Lord
Honourary Lord

Postby Lord Von Clausewitz » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:40 pm

Gunner, I do not know anyone who would not get a stroke of anger watching his local numerical superiority go to waste because the AI does not pan to use the extra regiments to take advantage.

Also even if you control every single unit yourself which is hard to do, you still have order delays 15 sec to 1 min depending on when in the cycle of execution of the software the order was given.

All i asked for is to have the possibility to detach divisions and brigades (which is planed to be done) and be able to have a button at the corps/division/brigade levels that will cancel the initiatives of the units in their command. This will allow mass coordinated movements like now with the possibility of canceling their initiative when at destination.
Currently to do this you have to press a button for every unit of the corps, what I suggest will make this easier.

And yes I fully plan to micromanage the sector where I pan to break the enemy line. Who would want to play a MP game where you only interfere once every hour?
Histwar has such untaped potential, in my opinion the reason it has not sold like it should is the lack of player control over the battle in a more micro managed way.

In 1vs1 micromanagement will still be minimal, in 4vs4 you would be able to seriously micromanage your units giving you an edge over the AI.

I think it will be great.

Lord VC

Lord Gunner24
Baronet
Baronet

Postby Lord Gunner24 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:13 pm

you still have order delays 15 sec to 1 min depending on when in the cycle of execution of the software the order was given

Your either having a joke with me or not understanding what I mean.

Orders given to Corps can have a delay of anything from 15 to 50 minutes or so before they start to be obayed. When your Corps are on the move, as ordered, and you want to change that order because something comes into view from the FOW setting, you should have to wait a long time for the new orders to get to the CC, you seem to want to say to hell with that, I want my guys to do as I want - NOW !!!!!.

Division orders have nothing to do with this subject of mm, they have always been a planned development of HW.

Every single time you mm a unit you are by-passing the orders system the game was designed to use, but each to his own of course.
Gunner24
NBC founder 2008-2017.

Lord Desaix
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord Desaix » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:41 pm

Lord Von Clausewitz wrote:Gunner, I do not know anyone who would not get a stroke of anger watching his local numerical superiority go to waste because the AI does not pan to use the extra regiments to take advantage.

Also even if you control every single unit yourself which is hard to do, you still have order delays 15 sec to 1 min depending on when in the cycle of execution of the software the order was given.

All i asked for is to have the possibility to detach divisions and brigades (which is planed to be done) and be able to have a button at the corps/division/brigade levels that will cancel the initiatives of the units in their command. This will allow mass coordinated movements like now with the possibility of canceling their initiative when at destination.
Currently to do this you have to press a button for every unit of the corps, what I suggest will make this easier.

And yes I fully plan to micromanage the sector where I pan to break the enemy line. Who would want to play a MP game where you only interfere once every hour?
Histwar has such untaped potential, in my opinion the reason it has not sold like it should is the lack of player control over the battle in a more micro managed way.

In 1vs1 micromanagement will still be minimal, in 4vs4 you would be able to seriously micromanage your units giving you an edge over the AI.

I think it will be great.

Lord VC

With these new GUI impemented I think I'll buy the game. Otherwise there's little interest for me in watching a movie where I can only act as plot writer and nothing more.
I'm pretty tired of NTW3 persistent crash, I could stand the poor graphic and effects of LG if only I had some more commanding power. VC I think it's moving in the right direction, maybe it will loose some old players, but it will gain many new ones. Furthermore old players already gave their money :mrgreen:

Like always option is the key, something CA seemed to have forgot. Let the host choose the battle style and everybody will be happy.

Lord Gunner24
Baronet
Baronet

Postby Lord Gunner24 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:13 pm

If it gets more people buying it then that has to be good news.

There is a load of different ways to play HW, many different FOW settings and you can play with instant orders and mm now, that has always been possible, but it seems hard to convince some of you, I have played HW MP for 18 months, every week, you have always been able to order each and every Regt and battery individually - if that is the way you prefer to play it you can do.

Instant orders and delayed orders are two very different ways to play the same game.
Gunner24
NBC founder 2008-2017.

Lord Von Clausewitz
Honourary Lord
Honourary Lord

Postby Lord Von Clausewitz » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:42 pm

Gunner,

Unless you are playing 4vs4 it is near impossible to micromanage an army in histwar like you do in TW. There are just too many units. I still want to give the corps orders that are delayed and everything, all i want is when the corps is at his deployment line to advance the troops whoever i want in the attack.
The 15 sec to 1 min delay to orders given to individual regiments are real life time not battle time. Imagine in TW you give an order to a battalion but it only executes it 1 min later, the game would be unplayable for mouse clickers.
Besides, if you do not use the corps orders, the units arrive in such disorder that they could be beaten piecemeal. The only way to get coordinated movements are through corps orders which will always suffer the delay set by the options menu.

If people do not use delayed orders then all these micromanagement options will just allow mass movements and no other advantage will be gained.
But even when delays are used, i think the coordinated way units move when a corps order is given is best. Even if you give a corps a manual order is still suffers the delay.

@ Desaix
There are sound mods and graphics mods for histwar that makes the whole game so different and the atmosphere is great. I strongly recommend all madrussian mods and the waterloo scenario.

Lord VC

Lord Desaix
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord Desaix » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:42 pm

Lord Von Clausewitz wrote:Gunner,

Unless you are playing 4vs4 it is near impossible to micromanage an army in histwar like you do in TW. There are just too many units. I still want to give the corps orders that are delayed and everything, all i want is when the corps is at his deployment line to advance the troops whoever i want in the attack.
The 15 sec to 1 min delay to orders given to individual regiments are real life time not battle time. Imagine in TW you give an order to a battalion but it only executes it 1 min later, the game would be unplayable for mouse clickers.
Besides, if you do not use the corps orders, the units arrive in such disorder that they could be beaten piecemeal. The only way to get coordinated movements are through corps orders which will always suffer the delay set by the options menu.

If people do not use delayed orders then all these micromanagement options will just allow mass movements and no other advantage will be gained.
But even when delays are used, i think the coordinated way units move when a corps order is given is best. Even if you give a corps a manual order is still suffers the delay.

@ Desaix
There are sound mods and graphics mods for histwar that makes the whole game so different and the atmosphere is great. I strongly recommend all madrussian mods and the waterloo scenario.

Lord VC

Perfectly explained VC.

I will prolly buy HW when you state that direct command as explained above is implemented and AI doesn't mess up with player orders. The demo 2 had ugly particle effects (smoke, explosions): has anything done regarding that subject? I don't want TW environment but not something of the last century level :mrgreen:

Return to “The Multiplayer Room”