For all discussions relating to HW:LG by JMM
Ziuk
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Histwar II

Postby Ziuk » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:53 pm

WOW :)

I'm impressed.

Did you use 3d max, milkshape or wings 3d?
Among the Quadi at the Granua.

Lord Bloody Bill
Honourary Lord
Honourary Lord

Postby Lord Bloody Bill » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:04 pm

Fullins work was amazing for hiswar and should of been used. We will see what HW2 brings. As I said before I enjoy it the way it is now but I do know the interface turns alot of people away.

Lord Desaix
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord Desaix » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:23 pm

Lord Bloody Bill wrote:Fullins work was amazing for hiswar and should of been used. We will see what HW2 brings. As I said before I enjoy it the way it is now but I do know the interface turns alot of people away.

JMM turned off Fullin's work after he heard how much money he was about charging :mrgreen:

The problem with HW is not everybody like the distant feeling of commanding at corps level, at least this is what kept me off of that game.

All in all I think that my expectation were wrong but UI really helped making me to hate the game. Simply I could not follow the battle in 3D, if I want a 2D battle I can find old titles with much stronger community behind. And then animations and effects were simply unacceptable and much contributed to decrease the already low immersion feeling.

What I see of HW is that even players, who strongly declare their love for it, in the end don't play it as much as NTW3 with all its crappy crash and drops. This for me says it all.

I badly hope next version will be at least more intuitive and understandable. It's not graphic alone that I miss even though some more improvement would be needed because Austerlitz new images look ugly as before. I don't pretend too much to leave HBs and I bet you know how many hours I spent modding them.

Lord Bloody Bill
Honourary Lord
Honourary Lord

Postby Lord Bloody Bill » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:29 pm

I would agree Desaix, I enjoy my HW battles and the 3d is not bad until combat is made. I do hope this animation is fixed for HW2. That being said there is just something about the game scale and command that I really enjoy.

Lord Gunner24
Baronet
Baronet

Postby Lord Gunner24 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:39 pm

A Corps level game won't interest some, no matter how good it might be.

A couple of pictures, which I think are fine.

[url=http://www.mediafire.com/view/?2c08zvh5z5stcx4]Image

Last edited by Lord Gunner24 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gunner24
NBC founder 2008-2017.
http://napbc.freeforums.org/

Ziuk
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Ziuk » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:47 pm

Gunner this type of graphic was standard in 2005 or 2007. Everything from distance will look \ good but when you zoom in situation is different.

I know that histwar was designed for big battles and details could kill performance.
Among the Quadi at the Granua.

Lord Gunner24
Baronet
Baronet

Postby Lord Gunner24 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:51 pm

Gunner this type of graphic was standard in 2005 or 2007

Well I live in the past, so that explains why I like it so much.

HW2 will be here next year.
Gunner24
NBC founder 2008-2017.

Lord Desaix
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord Desaix » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:44 pm

I don't know how to explain. SOW graphic are 2000 standard, with those sprites filmed in 16 positions, but the overall gameplay is much more intuitive for me with an AI really challenging.
HW has some strong points, large battle, MP reliability but those come at a huge price in term of battle flow. BUt enough chit chat for me, as I said I really hope HW2 will be a breaktrough to give us years of good games.

Lord Fullin
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord Fullin » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:03 pm

That was my whole point. We are Napoleonic fans , not CA fans... God forbid.
So , there is nothing in this world I would welcome more than a game that Ii like.
HW doesnt cut for me.Hopefully HW2 will.
Sauve qui peut!' 'Nous sommes trahis!'

[NBC]Friant
Knight
Knight

Postby [NBC]Friant » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:35 am

We are Napoleonic fans

Yep, we have that one thing in common... Lets hope hw2 is all things to everyone, and the same with v3 classic...

Lord Gunner24
Baronet
Baronet

Postby Lord Gunner24 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:13 pm

Arguments and disagreements (about all kinds of things) mostly come and go with time.

HW doesnt cut for me.Hopefully HW2 will.

I do hope it will as well, but no matter what the graphics and interface, or even game play are like in HW2, it will be the same game as HW1 - with important improvements, but not a brand new game, it will still be a (mainly) a large scale Corps Command type of game, although I have been experimenting with much smaller scale battles recently and they are working very well.

JMM is taking a break until 2/1/13, so no news expected until after that.
Gunner24
NBC founder 2008-2017.

stilgar
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby stilgar » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:00 pm

Eye candy indeed, Fullin. Models and those battlefield views look great. They should have paid the price you "asked" :mrgreen:

I have been looking into HW and if blessed with more spare time will give HW2 a good try. My main interest is command on Corps level, doctrines that can be edited, and other stuff NTW3 lacks.
"Постой-ка, брат мусью ..."

Lord Fullin
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord Fullin » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:14 pm

Ziuk wrote:WOW :)

I'm impressed.

Did you use 3d max, milkshape or wings 3d?

Blender

Lord Fullin
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord Fullin » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:21 pm

stilgar wrote:Eye candy indeed, Fullin. Models and those battlefield views look great. They should have paid the price you "asked" :mrgreen:

I have been looking into HW and if blessed with more spare time will give HW2 a good try. My main interest is command on Corps level, doctrines that can be edited, and other stuff NTW3 lacks.

Disclaimer:
The declaration below are the opinions of citizen Fullin only, the Lordz does not abide, negate or uphold , those statements.

I love Corp level, but not in a battlefield scenario.

Corps is about maneuvering , using roads, weather , days , mud, line of communications. In HW is a massive AI contrloled unit, with no room to maneuver. Realistic, maybe. Interesting , no.

Lord Gunner24
Baronet
Baronet

Postby Lord Gunner24 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:38 pm

I love Corp level, but not in a battlefield scenario.

Interesting comment. The NBC gaw campaign game has been like this in the past, massed Corps all on the same battlefield - but we are trying something new this time.

Please take a look if interested.
http://www.webjam.com/nbc_gaw

We are hoping changes in HW2 will make this type of game a lot better.
Gunner24
NBC founder 2008-2017.

Lord Bloody Bill
Honourary Lord
Honourary Lord

Postby Lord Bloody Bill » Thu May 16, 2013 5:55 pm

Lord Gunner24
Baronet
Baronet

Postby Lord Gunner24 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:59 pm

New HW2 vid on JMMs blog here -
http://www.jm-mathe.fr/
Gunner24
NBC founder 2008-2017.

Lord Von Clausewitz
Honourary Lord
Honourary Lord

Postby Lord Von Clausewitz » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:48 pm

Lord Fullin wrote:terrain looks great...
now they have to fix
the units
the animations
the smoke
the sounds
the music
and the interface... :rolleyes:

This is all being done as you speak fullin.

I may be doing the whole interface for the game, i am still looking to see if i have the time and knowledge to take on all that and not just the editors.

VC
La garde meurt mais ne se rend pas

Lord Von Clausewitz
Honourary Lord
Honourary Lord

Postby Lord Von Clausewitz » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:51 pm

Lord Desaix wrote:
Lord Fullin wrote:terrain looks great...
now they have to fix
the units
the animations
the smoke
the sounds
the music
and the interface... :rolleyes:

And buildings, we still have not occupable building making every village the same, not enough for a simulation that wants to depict tactical napoleonic warfare.

All the buildings have already been redone and look gorgeous. They are just not incorporated in the game yet.
Occupiable buildings will be there, all villages and towns can be maned, it will not be in the same concept of NTW where you see men go in break windows and stuff, but regiments will occupy buildings, get a bonus from that and you will see musket fire coming from buildings as the defending men shoot at the assailants from inside.

VC

Lord Von Clausewitz
Honourary Lord
Honourary Lord

Postby Lord Von Clausewitz » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:52 pm

[NBC]Friant wrote:Again, by trying to appeal to the masses HW may have lost it's way a little bit, whatever the negatives above the stability and playability of this game far out weighs any graphical issues...
A mp game that can be saved and joined and rejoined at any point is a rarity.

Not to worry, the game will be as stable as Histwar 1. For high end PC's 1:1 scale will be available, as well as other scales for weaker platforms.

VC

Lord Von Clausewitz
Honourary Lord
Honourary Lord

Postby Lord Von Clausewitz » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:11 pm

To give you another update on HW2:

1/ New terrain: Different than the improved terrain of HW1. Brand new, very detailed, gorgeous looking, especially with the new shaders that were implemented. Looks awesome as you can see in the video just released.

2/ New Buildings: Already done, not yet incorporated in the game, they look gorgeous. The concept of buildings that are occupied will be introduced

3/ New models and animations: This is a work in progress, will probably be able to show you more about that in 2014

4/ All sounds are being redone, as well as the music. There is a professional musician working on that. I can tell you that the main game menu has awesome music because i already heard it.

5/ Brand new interface in the works, an interface that is inspired by today's popular games.

As far as the game concept goes, it is still about commanding a whole army. New options will be introduced to get the player much more immersed.
As in Histwar1, micromanagement will be possible. However i do not see how one will micromanage > 100 units unless you play the game almost in real time or playing 3vs3 or 4vs4 dividing the troops.

This game will be something else, Histwar 1 was made by JMM alone, now the team includes 4 people. Expect much better.

VC

[NBC]Friant
Knight
Knight

Postby [NBC]Friant » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:42 pm

All sounds very good...
Where is the best place to ask you directly about requirements for OOB editor, which I believe you are working on?

Lord Von Clausewitz
Honourary Lord
Honourary Lord

Postby Lord Von Clausewitz » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:06 am

[NBC]Friant wrote:All sounds very good...
Where is the best place to ask you directly about requirements for OOB editor, which I believe you are working on?

I have so far done the main launcher of the game. It is all finished.
I am getting ready to start on the OOB editor but have not done so yet for a couple of reasons:

1/ waiting on the list of new features to be added to the OOb editor of histwar 2 from JMM
2/ Romain is working on the textures to be used.
3/ the third is a programming language issue that I need to sort out with JMM when he comes back from vacation in a few days...

So here or the napoleonics forum would be good places to reach me.

VC

Lord Lancier

Postby Lord Lancier » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:45 am

edit: no need :biggrin:
Last edited by Lord Lancier on Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
General Colbert de Chabanais ~ Battle on!
(TWC) The Wargaming Club - http://www.thewargamingclub.com

Lord Desaix
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord Desaix » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:24 am

Lord Von Clausewitz wrote:As in Histwar1, micromanagement will be possible. However i do not see how one will micromanage > 100 units unless you play the game almost in real time or playing 3vs3 or 4vs4 dividing the troops.

This game will be something else, Histwar 1 was made by JMM alone, now the team includes 4 people. Expect much better.

VC

Well 3vs3 or 4vs4 is where this type of MP game really shine. As in real life you depend from other general's decision and behavior but you still have the means to impact on the battle outcome. The you have the funny and interesting socializing aspect of the game, food for clan and clan war.

We all know that without crash/drop issues and with better formation NTW3 would be the best game out there. This is where HW should aim for, allow micromanagement in a realistic way (couriers or retarded orders for example) but at the same time offering a strong AI to delegate part of the battlefield not immediately handled by player.

This way you will get both possibilities covered: 1vs1 and 4vs4.

Return to “HistWar Les Grognards (LG)”