For all discussions relating to HW:LG by JMM
JMM
Villein
Villein

Re: Histwar Napoleon

Postby JMM » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:54 am

Hello,

Thank you for your comments...

If MP is struggling to maintain 20 players, questions should be asked as to where it went wrong rather than claiming that anyone who didn't buy or play the game for years is guilty of treason.

heu... I don't think I wrote this kind of thing :rolleyes: :wink:

In the new version of HW:N, several orders will be added to have a better control on the units.
For example for Infantry
a/ attack and charge will be added at the initial attack order for charging when the opponent begins the retreat...
b/ Withdraw...
and so on...

Yes, VC works a lot on the GUI... We hope we can show this new version very soon.

It is possible the best is to wait a new version.
That said, I remember several players said this version runs fine... A bit perplex :eek:

Have a nice day.

JMM
HistWar : The Strategic Game

Tac
Baronet
Baronet

Postby Tac » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:40 pm

Until very recently i was reading a Gunner stating that it is and will be the best napoleonic game ever,i think thats what we all wanted and want to appear,so why the sudden shift in faith i wonder.

Lord Gunner24
Baronet
Baronet

Postby Lord Gunner24 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:09 pm

Tac
so why the sudden shift in faith i wonder.

Not really correct, I can not play a MP game if NO ONE else plays it, that's all. That is why NBC closed, and that is why Lancier's FG closed, because of zero interest from the English speaking Community.

Da Motta
Looks like you guessed what the prize was for........well done, and you prove a worthy winner by following your ****** remarks with yet more ****** remarks..
Gunner24
NBC founder 2008-2017.
http://napbc.freeforums.org/

Tac
Baronet
Baronet

Postby Tac » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:21 pm

well you did decide to cut the ntw3 side from NBC to just Hw or i would imagine NBC would still be quite active as it was when you pulled carpet from under them.That was a shame gunner.
I also hope HW does become the game everyone in this community hopes it would be JMM i think most people do.

oOIYvYIOo
Baronet
Baronet

Postby oOIYvYIOo » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:41 pm

Lord Gunner24 wrote:Da Motta
Looks like you guessed what the prize was for........well done, and you prove a worthy winner by following your ****** remarks with yet more ****** remarks..

:rolleyes: continue continue ...
Last edited by oOIYvYIOo on Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
.☠. Lusitani Legio ,Fundator membrum
https://www.youtube.com/user/oOIYvYIOo

Lord Lancier

Postby Lord Lancier » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:41 pm

Not really but no need to discuss these here as they are on hw forum and they will be fixed with next patch already.
JMM wrote:That said, I remember several players said this version runs fine... A bit perplex :eek:
JMM

I think we/I were so eager and unseasonable to get HWN and try to start MP activities. I started 2 leagues/tourneys and had to halt cause of bugs. We invited people to HW but then discovered bugs, was shame for me tbh. If it was 1 year ago again, i would wait for a working HWN as i already had HWLG, in fact like Dougie did :wink: But some victims were needed already to discover the MP bugs right ?lol I find myself guilty, i had to be patient before the purchase so wouldnt cry that much.
General Colbert de Chabanais ~ Battle on!
(TWC) The Wargaming Club - http://www.thewargamingclub.com

Lord Gunner24
Baronet
Baronet

Postby Lord Gunner24 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:52 pm

Off topic, but anyway......
i would imagine NBC would still be quite active as it was when you pulled carpet from under them.That was a shame gunner.

I know you believe that to be correct, but in fact what happened was we had some many "discussions" about rules, some members left, and the others that wanted rules would only play HBs, which were far to repetitive for me to enjoy, so after many warnings, over a long period of time, NBC became for HW only - because of NO active NBC members playing lobby games.

That is true, no matter what anyone else may say, I know because it was me running the thing, and everyone left NBC to do other (better ?) things.
Gunner24
NBC founder 2008-2017.

Chromey
Baronet
Baronet

Postby Chromey » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:34 pm

Any one from NBC buying the Naval Game from Game Labs? We could form an awesome fleet

like Nelsons!
Death to Tyranny

Tac
Baronet
Baronet

Postby Tac » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:45 pm

which were far to repetitive for me to enjoy, so after many warnings, over a long period of time, NBC became for HW only

Well ultimately there is no right or wrong gunner the site after all was indeed founded by you,if you compare that to the exact same situation with VC when he flipped to HW full time and didnt have any involvment with ntw3 he didnt just close the site because his personal interest lay elsewhere. As indeed with Ts.
i mean what is a guy like stilgar to do!!If there was no interest i would of thought friant opening a Hb forum instead of using the NBC section would of been pointless.
However if you offered others to take over and they refused then,yes well i understand.

Lord Von Clausewitz
Honourary Lord
Honourary Lord

Postby Lord Von Clausewitz » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:45 pm

Hey guys,

I would like to add my 2 cents to this conversation...

I want to address the issue of bugs in the game:
JMM can only debug the bugs that are reported to him... if no bugs are reported, no debugging is done.
I used to remember, even before getting involved in the development of the game (so more than a year ago), i used to talk to JMM and he would tell me that the Beta testers are reporting very few bugs, mostly related to canon position, or retreating or something like that...
I would then log on to the game, update it with the newest patches and 10 min into the fighting i could see many bugs in infantry behavior. This was more than a year ago, but i would be amazed that something like that was not noticed/reported by beta testers.
Without these reports and the .sav file, these cannot be fixed.
Since then JMM has worked on the infantry behavior (last 2 months) and fixed multiple bugs there. I expect the next patch to be much much better than before.
I think some existing players do not probably play in 3D and hence do not see the bugs as in 2D things go as expected. Or maybe they are using visibility settings that are delayed and hence assume that something happened for a good reason and maybe it is not the case.
This game can be the greatest Napoleonic game ever and we are working on it to make sure it is.
It would help us quite a bit, if the people that have the game, play small battles without any delay in visibility and order transmission and relay any residual bugs to JMM with the .sav file.
Like i said, the next patch should show significant improvement in infantry mechanics...

Thank you
VC
La garde meurt mais ne se rend pas

Lord Lancier

Postby Lord Lancier » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:53 pm

Great to hear that all responsibility are on beta testers shoulders (btw i was never a tester) but we did not pay to the testers to be successful we payed for (2!?) histwar games. I checked my hw account seems like i bought HWLG December 2009 almost 5 years it is. I started a pbem with Dougie 15 days ago but had to cancel that game cause it was buggy. So didnt we deserve a no bug game in 5 years with or without beta testers.

Lord Von Clausewitz
Honourary Lord
Honourary Lord

Postby Lord Von Clausewitz » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:25 am

Lancier wrote:Great to hear that all responsibility are on beta testers shoulders (btw i was never a tester) but we did not pay to the testers to be successful we payed for (2!?) histwar games. I checked my hw account seems like i bought HWLG December 2009 almost 5 years it is. I started a pbem with Dougie 15 days ago but had to cancel that game cause it was buggy. So didnt we deserve a no bug game in 5 years with or without beta testers.

Maybe you are not getting what I am saying...
Do you deserve a bug free game ? Of course you do, JMM is working on that.
What I am saying is that, in order to accomplish that, bugs have to be reported for him to fix them.
You know better than anyone that JMM is working on this alone. It is a huge software and he is debugging it and improving it by himself.
I took a part of the work by working on the GUI but his burden is still enormous.
Complaining about a bug does not fix a bug. We need it reported and we need a .sav file to review and fix it. You can do whatever you want, but if you want him to fix a bug, it has to be reported.
If you want me and him to play hundreds of battles to detect bugs and fix them, you will not have this game anytime soon.
A new patch will be coming with multiple infantry bugs fixed. It will be helpful like I said before for people to play with the easiest setting and report any residual bugs.

VC

Seimour01
Gentleman
Gentleman

Postby Seimour01 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:48 am

So people must buy a broken game at exorbitant prices which is being worked on by one guy with some help on the side to then report all the bugs on it to make back their money in a year or more?

Is there any game out there which works that way? I dont know of a lot of games that have been in "early access" for years.

In this situation, isn't the task ahead too large for those undertaking it?
You can do anything with bayonets except sit on them.

[NBC]Friant
Knight
Knight

Postby [NBC]Friant » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:35 am

Why is this conversation happening on here VC & JMM?
No posts on HW forum since August, yet 2 on here in 24 hours VC?
Lancier ... my friend ... no one cares about HW :).Why do you keep wasting your wisdom and time with that instead of helping Lordz with tournaments.You know if NTW 3 community dies , HW will never get to be born ...

Are we all Napoleonic fans, does it matter what the game is, obviously it does for some??...
A new patch will be coming with multiple infantry bugs fixed. It will be helpful like I said before for people to play with the easiest setting and report any residual bugs.

This has never been explained, we play it as a mp game with agreed options as you would any mp game.
Anyone who is still playing HW can certainly not be accused of being impatient...

HW forum please, not fair to the NTW3 fans and certainly not fair to HW players.

For the record, I think HWN will be a great Nap game, as is NTW3, just not for me anymore, is one better than the other, I don't think so, depends on the person. We all like something a little different but the most important link is the fact that they are based around the Napoleonic era, of which there are very few games which in a lot of cases seems to be the only thing we have in common... :wink:

Lord Lancier

Postby Lord Lancier » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:09 am

I know what you mean mate, i really understand you very well and agree. Just i mentioned the time we waited,
5 years it is, since first HWLG release, otherwise course beta testers will play and JMM will fix.
Anyway VC, i respect JMM,his work, your efforts, good luck to you all with HW.

Lord Von Clausewitz wrote:
Lancier wrote:Great to hear that all responsibility are on beta testers shoulders (btw i was never a tester) but we did not pay to the testers to be successful we payed for (2!?) histwar games. I checked my hw account seems like i bought HWLG December 2009 almost 5 years it is. I started a pbem with Dougie 15 days ago but had to cancel that game cause it was buggy. So didnt we deserve a no bug game in 5 years with or without beta testers.

Maybe you are not getting what I am saying...
Do you deserve a bug free game ? Of course you do, JMM is working on that.
What I am saying is that, in order to accomplish that, bugs have to be reported for him to fix them.
You know better than anyone that JMM is working on this alone. It is a huge software and he is debugging it and improving it by himself.
I took a part of the work by working on the GUI but his burden is still enormous.
Complaining about a bug does not fix a bug. We need it reported and we need a .sav file to review and fix it. You can do whatever you want, but if you want him to fix a bug, it has to be reported.
If you want me and him to play hundreds of battles to detect bugs and fix them, you will not have this game anytime soon.

VC

Lord Von Clausewitz
Honourary Lord
Honourary Lord

Postby Lord Von Clausewitz » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:34 pm

Seimour01 wrote:So people must buy a broken game at exorbitant prices which is being worked on by one guy with some help on the side to then report all the bugs on it to make back their money in a year or more?

Is there any game out there which works that way? I dont know of a lot of games that have been in "early access" for years.

In this situation, isn't the task ahead too large for those undertaking it?

This was understood from the beginning.
The game was not done and it was a work in progress.
It has been know for years that this is mostly a one man show, only a year ago did the team expand.
Sure the game has been out for 5 years and I understand that people are frustrated.
My only point is that, to get rid of bugs we need to know that they exist and have a file to work on.

@Friant
I am posting here because this is where the conversation started.
I should probably post more on the histwar forum, but i have been spending most of my free time programing and I am trying to not get too delayed.

VC

Lord Gunner24
Baronet
Baronet

Postby Lord Gunner24 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:50 pm

VC :
Your post here should be over at the HW forum. I have reported bugs months ago, and I patiently wait to see if they are fixed in the next patch.

Tac :
However if you offered others to take over and they refused then,yes well i understand.

I did that, and yes, they refused. Just to repeat, NBC changed to HW because there was zero interest in ntw3 lobby games, I tried like mad for months, but no one wanted to know, everyone had "something else" to do, rather than fight "lobby games". Interesting thing, do any xNBC members play ntw3 ? now.....I know wym and Frog do, but others ?, play regular lobby games ?.

Back to HWN :
No use blaming the beta test teamt, that is not helpful at all. I have spent many 100s hours over the last several years checking things, sending in pictures, and files, and replays, but most of the time I get no informations back about if it's been fixed or not.......JMM is working on something so massive there were bound to be problems, SOME of us have tried their absolute best to help, but.................we still wait.
Gunner24
NBC founder 2008-2017.

[NBC]Friant
Knight
Knight

Postby [NBC]Friant » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:16 pm

@Friant

That maybe VC, but there have been many, many times over at HW forum where you could have taken a couple of minutes for a quick update or at least taken part in some of the many debates that happen there...
My only point is that, to get rid of bugs we need to know that they exist

This proves my point about no activity on HW forum, if you frequented there you would know...
We assumed problems reported months ago were being worked on?
It has been know for years that this is mostly a one man show

Nobody is disputing this, and yes the long term players of HW understand, the kick in the face came when no one could be bothered to answer Lancier's questions, and still we are being kicked by replying to HW matters on someone else's forum!!
Sadly you have proven bug reporting has been ignored, as suddenly attention is being diverted to aforesaid problems, what problems? The same ones that were reported months ago.
And still as of now there is NOTHING from YOU on HW forum?
We bought the game, we play the game, we defend the game, yet we are told nothing.

Wym...
Baronet
Baronet

Postby Wym... » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:52 pm

As a xNBC member I still look back to 2011 ish with fond memories.....When I found V1 NTW3 there were 3 large active clans,I cwent for NBC because they were by far the most active during my gaming time slots,all games were classic style with no HB's/HW Gunner,Dougie,Sharp,Maf+ others I cant remember now battled every evening,into 2012 others joined solely for classic ie Friant,,several xBPA etc.....Late 2013 onward the emphasis shifted to HB's and HW and unfortunately NBC slowly started to die....a year on and NBC is no more as is BPA and 'N'(except Tac), the Dragons, Legio etc seems to be following the same fate as NBC/BPA?? the only consistent clan over the last 3-4 years are those devilish Grogs,I seem to get half my games with the Grogs and the other half with some of the recent New Blood that have found this mod

I wonder what the next year or two will have install for us NTW3 Vets??

Oh Gunner,dougie ,Maf and all other xNBC members I'll be up for a slow tactical NTW3 battle with fixed oob's etc if u ever fancy one(I think Frog would also enjoy reliving old times)?
"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but by God they frighten me"

Lord Von Clausewitz
Honourary Lord
Honourary Lord

Postby Lord Von Clausewitz » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:33 pm

[NBC]Friant wrote:
@Friant

That maybe VC, but there have been many, many times over at HW forum where you could have taken a couple of minutes for a quick update or at least taken part in some of the many debates that happen there...
My only point is that, to get rid of bugs we need to know that they exist

This proves my point about no activity on HW forum, if you frequented there you would know...
We assumed problems reported months ago were being worked on?
It has been know for years that this is mostly a one man show

Nobody is disputing this, and yes the long term players of HW understand, the kick in the face came when no one could be bothered to answer Lancier's questions, and still we are being kicked by replying to HW matters on someone else's forum!!
Sadly you have proven bug reporting has been ignored, as suddenly attention is being diverted to aforesaid problems, what problems? The same ones that were reported months ago.
And still as of now there is NOTHING from YOU on HW forum?
We bought the game, we play the game, we defend the game, yet we are told nothing.

Hi man,

The bugs are not being ignored, i don't deal with these bugs so i don't answer these issues on the HW forum. JMM takes care of them and he answers.
I had posted before in the beta test team forum, updates and pictures of the GUI up to the battle GUI. Once the battle GUI is mostly done, I will show pictures too and update people more.
Despite the silence, work is being done...
It has been a little slow advancing in the battle GUI because JMM had to make a special version for me so i can manage that part. That took time, these things are not easy. There are still issues there that need fixing (on my special version only) and I have to wait on him to be able to do that. In the meantime I am working on the part of the GUI that is not affected by that. Learning where to find all the information i need for the GUI from a huge engine is no simple task either but things did advance.
JMM on his part has done a lot of work also implementing new features and debugging a lot. i hope the next version, when available, will show you how much work was done.

VC

Lord Gunner24
Baronet
Baronet

Postby Lord Gunner24 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:50 pm

Hello wym, good trip down memory lane there.
Oh Gunner,dougie ,Maf and all other xNBC members I'll be up for a slow tactical NTW3 battle

Hard to believe I know, but I have not given up hope that one day (who knows when) the Lordz might make an ntw4 that I would be interested in..............

slow tactical

might do the trick.

Trying to bring the topic back to HW, I wonder if one day (no idea when) even you wym, might find HW a better option - when it is, of course, working 100% perfectly, and with all the "new" features that are on the way.....and your getting too old for fast fingers on the keyboard for ntw3.....ha.....ha........it happens to us all in the end, and HW may be the answer !.
Gunner24
NBC founder 2008-2017.

Sloop
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Sloop » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:37 pm

DaMotta, I must say that although I would prefer the company of 10,000 body lice, you have done 100 times more than I have to promote this mod, salute.

Seimour, You are an azz.,,, At long last, I am vindicated.

Gunner, I am amazed at your ability to dig up an old and rotting corpse and bring it to life, especially your own.

VC, You look familiar, have we met before?

Wym, [N] is still resolute and invincible, it’s just that we are not active whilst the streetwalkers and Eurotrash are skulking around.

Tac, If you have one hand on the bottle and the other on your crotch, how are you posting these comments?

Lord Gunner24
Baronet
Baronet

Postby Lord Gunner24 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:50 pm

Sloop
Gunner, I am amazed at your ability to dig up an old and rotting corpse and bring it to life, especially your own.

If you bothered to read, you would have seen other people brought up the NBC topic - and I replied to their comments.
Gunner24
NBC founder 2008-2017.

Lord Fullin
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord Fullin » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:45 pm

When HW becomes a good game, there will be no need to argue that it is a good game.

Until then I think, if you expect testers to pay 50 bucks to work for you, you need to make them at least, shareholders of future revenues.
Sauve qui peut!' 'Nous sommes trahis!'

Lord Lancier

Postby Lord Lancier » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:57 am

In fact not 50€ but 100€ as we all bought both HWLG and HWN: 1st :embarrrased:
but very well said, tho it took a lot of time, like 5 years, for me to learn that i am a beta tester: 2nd :embarrrased:
Lord Fullin wrote:When HW becomes a good game, there will be no need to argue that it is a good game.

Until then I think, if you expect testers to pay 50 bucks to work for you, you need to make them at least, shareholders of future revenues.

Return to “HistWar Les Grognards (LG)”