Histwar Napoleon

For all discussions relating to HW:LG by JMM
Lord Lancier

Histwar Napoleon

Postby Lord Lancier » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:59 pm

edit: no need :biggrin:
Last edited by Lord Lancier on Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:08 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Lord Gunner24
Baronet
Baronet

Re: Histwar II

Postby Lord Gunner24 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:57 pm

Hopefully HW2 won't be too long into the new year, if there are no further unexpected problem crop up as HW1 is finished.
Gunner24
NBC founder 2008-2017.
http://napbc.freeforums.org/

Lord Bloody Bill
Honourary Lord
Honourary Lord

Postby Lord Bloody Bill » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:20 pm

I cannot wait for HW2.

Lord Fullin
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord Fullin » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:26 am

terrain looks great...
now they have to fix
the units
the animations
the smoke
the sounds
the music
and the interface... :rolleyes:
Sauve qui peut!' 'Nous sommes trahis!'

Lord Desaix
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord Desaix » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:52 am

Lord Fullin wrote:terrain looks great...
now they have to fix
the units
the animations
the smoke
the sounds
the music
and the interface... :rolleyes:

And buildings, we still have not occupable building making every village the same, not enough for a simulation that wants to depict tactical napoleonic warfare.

[NBC]Friant
Knight
Knight

Postby [NBC]Friant » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:56 pm

Again, by trying to appeal to the masses HW may have lost it's way a little bit, whatever the negatives above the stability and playability of this game far out weighs any graphical issues...
A mp game that can be saved and joined and rejoined at any point is a rarity.

Lord Fullin
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord Fullin » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:23 pm

Indeed.... but at the end of the day, is what you can save more if you can save it or not.

I bought the game, I am a 42 yo Napoleonic enthusiast and couldnt play it once.
Aside being something wrong with me , of course...there have to be something wrong with the game.

[NBC]Friant
Knight
Knight

Postby [NBC]Friant » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:29 pm

Well this game does seem to be Marmite, love it or hate it, there seems to be no in between.

Ziuk
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Ziuk » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:58 pm

Any news about date of release?
Among the Quadi at the Granua.

Lord Gunner24
Baronet
Baronet

Postby Lord Gunner24 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:05 pm

Any news about date of release?

No date given, but much of the work for HW2 was done a very long time ago.....the delay has been the "bugs" and "improvements" in HW1 taking up JMMs time.

It is hard to make someone believe that blue is a better color than red if they believe red is better than blue.

To play HW, not even once, and say it's no good is the same as me saying I played ntw3 once and it's no good.

The buildings in HW are a far superior way of simulating fighting for built up area's than CA have done.......one house jammed pack with 100s of men and almost indestructible could not be a lot worse if you spent a million dollars trying to make it worse.

If you make a list of good and bad points about ntw3 and HW and put them alongside each other, well, it would be a very interesting exercise.

HW2 will have everything a Napoleonic game needs. If I was so concerned about the graphics and smoke and minute details I'd watch a movie or read a book.

Q : What is the most important thing about any game and HW in particular.
A : Game play.

Q : What is the most important thing about NTW/ntw3.
A : Flashy pretty graphics, because CA forgot all about game play when they designed TW games 10 years ago.
Gunner24
NBC founder 2008-2017.

Lord Fullin
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord Fullin » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:39 pm

As usual Gunner makes everything : friend / enemy position.

If you criticize HW he will come and tell you you are a colour blind moron.

I didnt know this thread was to compare NTW3 and HW , because nobody did but you , as usual .

If you dont think like Gunner , here he comes, marching to insult whatever you like and do, just to make a point ,as you do not share his opinion.

It is hard to make someone believe that blue is a better color than red if they believe red is better than blue.

To play HW, not even once, and say it's no good is the same as me saying I played ntw3 once and it's no good.

I couldnt play it once (my phrase), its not the same to I havent played it once. (you, misquoting me)
You read , but dont understand.
And concerning you and NTW3 , you have play it more than a 100 times and still say its no good. :smile:
what a masochist

I will refrain , from now on to criticize HW or anything that Gunner likes.
Please post a list of your fancy for us to know.

Wym...
Baronet
Baronet

Postby Wym... » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:48 pm

I played it for a while and my lasting impressions where:
the GFX reminded me of my Vic20 games(remember those lol)
The game was far to slow,i could walk the dog while ingame
Art&Guard/Elites units won every game not the rank and file

As Fri said 'think of HW as a strong marmite some will love it though most wont'.
IMO HW has real possibilities to be the best Nap Sim available but we will have to wait until HW4/5 or as I've said to HW players HW will suit me in around 30 years or so when I'm to slow for a RTS game?
I would personally rather see a Austerlitz PBEM style Nap Sim on my PC as I've never found anything to come close to it,it makes HW look like child's play BUT you have to currently pay around £6 per game turn/month which is a pain
"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but by God they frighten me"

Tac
Baronet
Baronet

Postby Tac » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:13 pm

Haha Vic 20, best quote for a while and i have to say as usual Wym talks sense i have to agree i mean there must be a very simple reason its not as popular as some would like.
Dont forget oct 2013 ntw4 begins :wink: so it aint got that long to get people hooked.

Lord Desaix
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord Desaix » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:25 pm

I'm with Fullin here. I got the very same feeling, could not finish a game.
Of course it's my fault if I cannot understand the best simulation on the market, still I really enjoy SOW for example with basic graphic. It's not the graphic alone, it's a sum of some variables but my feeling at the moment is that I prefer HPS napoleonic game to HW.
I tust you Gunner for the village fight being far superior to HB, but ...but in the end I still think HB rendition of village fight is more realistic for a tactical game.
HW is simply boring and not immersive for me, I hope v2 will be better. I'll evaluate it without any prejudices. However the problem is that I like tactical game more than gran tactical engagement. Maybe this is the key why I cannot make HW to attract me.

Lord Gunner24
Baronet
Baronet

Postby Lord Gunner24 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:29 pm

If you criticize HW

This was a topic about HW2, not about what's wrong with HW2. I attempted (very stupid thing for me to do here of course) to explain why HW is such a great Napoleonic game. If you don't want topics about HW at the Lordz why don't you delete the forum ?.

I couldnt play it once

Something got lost in translation.

New pics today
http://www.histwar.org/forum/index.php/ ... 5.html#new
Gunner24
NBC founder 2008-2017.

Tac
Baronet
Baronet

Postby Tac » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:54 pm

In the great words of FVZ,
You mad? :eek:

Wym...
Baronet
Baronet

Postby Wym... » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:34 pm

About Austerlitz

Austerlitz is the premier PBeM Napoleonic Wargame, and has won awards all over Europe and in the UK. The realism is unparalleled, and the accurate representation of the armies of 1808 make this a thrilling simulation of Napoleonic conquest.

History of the game.

Austerlitz has been running in the UK for almost 10 years now and is now run by Supersonic Games Ltd in Ayrshire, Scotland. The game moderators are Sam McMillan and Scott McRoberts who have over 7 years experience in running Austerlitz.

Austerlitz originally started as a Play by mail Game and since August 1998 was changed to be both playable by mail (PBM) and playable by email (PBEM).

Austerlitz PBEM quickly gained a large following throughout the UK and now due to it being a PBEM as well as PBM has customers from all around the world.

The Game has been voted Readers Favourite Game by Industry magazine Flagship. It has also been voted best Historical Wargame at the Fiasco conventions held in Leeds, England.

Over the years almost 250 games of Austerlitz have started. Well over 7000 battles have been fought and many millions of troops have fought for their empire. Alliances have been formed and empires destroyed, this is your chance to fight battles that history never saw!

“In war there is no substitute for victory”

Free trail games here(taking a nation in a current game where the player has dropped out)

http://www.austerlitzpbem.com/mainaboutau.htm
"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but by God they frighten me"

Lord Fullin
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord Fullin » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:15 pm

Aside being something wrong with me , of course...there have to be something wrong with the game.

I live quoting myself.

Same as Desaix, there have to something wrong with me why I dont like the best simulation in the market.
I posted a list of things I think need to be adressed , I thought this was HW2 thread where you can suggest those things without being a heretic.
Something got lost in translation.

When it says that I bought the game..
Couldnt play it , implies a try , an effort to do it, and not being successful in the attempt.
Havent played it , implies the impossibility lack of will or time to even attempt it.

Lord Bloody Bill
Honourary Lord
Honourary Lord

Postby Lord Bloody Bill » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:04 pm

Well to each there own, I have the game. Played well over 50 battles sp and 10 or so mp. I really enjoy it. I am very ready for HW2. If anybody needs it or would like, I am more than willing to help a new player grasp the interface and game mechanics. If you dont like the game ok, enjoy what you do play.

I like HW and SOW wish the two would combine!

[NBC]Friant
Knight
Knight

Postby [NBC]Friant » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:46 pm

Excellent another convert...
I like it, as far as Napoleonic strategy games go this is one of the best imo...
Thanks Bill... :wink:

Lord Fullin
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord Fullin » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:45 am

I really wish I could like it.

i can live with the crap graphic, who am I kidding , I played galaxian for years and thought it was very inmersive. :lol:
But, Oh God , the interface!
Its so unfriendly, that me makes YooyYyooO look like Lassie.

A 2d view that merges into 3d view when zooming in, would be more important that to see , than nice trees or beautiful uniforms, this , coming from the guy that makes maps and uniforms.

[NBC]Friant
Knight
Knight

Postby [NBC]Friant » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:36 am

A 2d view that merges into 3d view when zooming in, would be more important that to see , than nice trees or beautiful uniforms, this , coming from the guy that makes maps and uniforms.

I do understand what you are saying, but the comparison between hw and ntw3 really should stop, (everyone)... I really do enjoy both... I can remember the Waterloo game on the amiga and it was just blocks of colours to represent troops, and I thought that was awesome...
A lot of the best wargames are just counters moving on a board (with different depths of immersion), I do slightly regret JMM going down the path of trying to intice people with good graphics (GOOD GRAPHICS I HEAR YOU CRY? ok better :lol: ) but it is more about the gameplay and the fact that you are controlling the corps commanders which in turn control the ai, and whatever is said the ai does simulate Napoleonic warfare very well... and you can play a 10 hour battle in 2 hours... which doesn't always give the effect it should... so as someone said before, each to their own...

Lord Gunner24
Baronet
Baronet

Postby Lord Gunner24 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:57 pm

But, Oh God , the interface!

Fullin, is this a comment about the OLD or NEW interface ?.
Gunner24
NBC founder 2008-2017.

Ziuk
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Ziuk » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:57 pm

Histwar's team has got poor PR for example website last news is from 2011. Community is small. I have skeptical approach to this product. I don't belive that they have chance on market. + current price ...
Among the Quadi at the Granua.

Lord Fullin
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord Fullin » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:48 pm

[NBC]Friant wrote:

I do understand what you are saying, but the comparison between hw and ntw3 really should stop, (everyone)... I really do enjoy both... I can remember the Waterloo game on the amiga and it was just blocks of colours to represent troops, and I thought that was awesome...
A lot of the best wargames are just counters moving on a board (with different depths of immersion), I do slightly regret JMM going down the path of trying to intice people with good graphics (GOOD GRAPHICS I HEAR YOU CRY? ok better :lol: ) but it is more about the gameplay and the fact that you are controlling the corps commanders which in turn control the ai, and whatever is said the ai does simulate Napoleonic warfare very well... and you can play a 10 hour battle in 2 hours... which doesn't always give the effect it should... so as someone said before, each to their own...

Actually improving the simbolic view would be the way to go. We were doing that for HW, but then the project was discarded...

thiss was part of the work I was developing for HW...

So I find it funny when Iam accused of being a HW detractor, when I put countless hours trying to improve it.
Sadly our project was cancelled and i went back to NTW3.

I even had a full Austrian Faction finished , 3d models and textures, plus all the major factions artillery.

prussian art.

austrian with carriage

british with limbers

frencg ammo caisson and artillery

units

So you see...thats my labour of hate to HW.

Return to “HistWar Les Grognards (LG)”