AGEod - Wars of Napoleon (WoN)

Introduce yourself and have your OFF-TOPIC discussions here.
Lord Lancier

AGEod - Wars of Napoleon (WoN)

Postby Lord Lancier » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:22 am

Old habits die hard...Battle on!
(TWC) The Wargaming Club
http://www.thewargamingclub.com

Lord CommodoreWesley
Lord
Lord

Re: AGEod - Wars of Napoleon (WoN)

Postby Lord CommodoreWesley » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:07 pm

Ah, dang it! I wish I knew this was on sale, as I just splurged and bought Scourge of War: Waterloo just two weeks ago... It's alright, but the campaign part is kinda disappointing as there are no reinforcement opportunities and all the battles are forced to be fought in a single hour or two, which does not make any sense. Scourge of War: Gettysburg with Garnier's Campaign Mod is significantly better.

I've played AGEod's American Civil War in my youth (okay, I'm still young, just turned 21 in October, but this was back before high school and all) and loved it so much, and I have always desired for a Napoleonic version of it.

I thought March of the Eagles was going to be good, but Paradox seemed to have dropped and forgotten it before it even had a chance to become a good game (plus the combat is so imbalanced, every battle is either a slaughter or massacre for one side... Same problem in EU4...)

Ugh, but now I have to debate about spending another $25 dollars, for yet another Napoleonic game...
~Commodore Wesley

Lord Lancier

Postby Lord Lancier » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:39 pm

Lord CommodoreWesley, excuse my words and yes paradox March of the Eagles is a crappy game, i have it. I own Scourge of War:Waterloo too and i feel the same for it too like MoE lol.
(TWC) The Wargaming Club

Lord CommodoreWesley
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord CommodoreWesley » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:41 pm

Good to hear!

I would be interested into getting into some Multiplayer events and such; however my internet is probably one of the worst in the continental United States even when I am at college, so I have to stick with a lot of single player games against the AI. Unless WoN uses the old fashioned email the save file to the other person for them to make their moves (like in AGEod's American Civil War and Rise of Prussia) multiplayer will probably be impossible for me. Also for most of the time of the year I am very busy with college. :sad:
~Commodore Wesley

Lord Lancier

Postby Lord Lancier » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:56 pm

I think we all experienced how crap such games can be with multiplayer like March of the Eagles !? :>
so Wars of Napoleon is PBeM only and i am glad it is as campaigns take long time anyway so cant be played multiplayer i think. It is wego system where everyone do their turn send to host and when all ready turn runs. Each turn is 7 days. ^^
(TWC) The Wargaming Club

Lord Lancier

Postby Lord Lancier » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:45 am

(TWC) The Wargaming Club

Lord CommodoreWesley
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord CommodoreWesley » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:11 am

Well, I did buy it, and I'm currently downloading it from Matrix (why they don't just send a Steam Key is a mystery...). Hopefully I have enough experience from AGEod's American Civil War and Rise of Prussia to hopefully know what I am doing, but as this is their latest game so I expect for a whole lot more complexity. :biggrin:

Although, I really shouldn't get too deep into playing it, as I'm working on something else for 7.2...
~Commodore Wesley

Lord Lancier

Postby Lord Lancier » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:08 am

That is nice Lord Commodore Wesley. Your steam key for WoN is on slitherine already probably you know anyway ^^
http://www.slitherine.com/members/
(TWC) The Wargaming Club

Lord CommodoreWesley
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord CommodoreWesley » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:51 am

Well, I've been playing a grand campaign as Prussia, it's now mid 1806, and it seems that Napoleon is now looking at my borders, and if my cavalry intelligence is correct, there seems to be full 2000 power corps in freshly annexed Hannover. Austria just fell two months earlier, losing Tyrol to Bavaria and Venecia to Italy, while Russia has been playing around in the Caucasus mountains, fighting not only the tribesmen, but Persia as well as the Ottomans, abandoning Austria to the mercy of Napoleon.

I've just only recently received the ability to create 10 divisions starting in January of 1806, then had to wait for my brigadier generals to become activated (I wish the tool tip would say if they were activated or not, the only way I can find out is if they are in a separate stack...), but boy, and I glad I have them. I've managed to crudely reform the Prussian army to remove the combat penalties from all of my "corps" but it has forced me to created these huge mixed divisions of infantry, art, and cav (with each corps about two of these giant divisions). I fear that these might not be efficient or flexible enough, but I just don't have enough command points, activated generals, or divisions remaining for any other system to work. I've also tried to expand my artillery, as Prussia starts with a really low number of guns for the amount of manpower she has. I am now trying to plan my defense to defend the regions around Berlin and Magdeburg, using the Elbe as my main line of defence. I expect that Napoleon will try to invade from Hannover, but he might push up from Bavaria into Saxony and approach Berlin to the south. I hope that the Saxon army of 1000 power will be at least enough to delay the Grande Armee long enough in Dresden, but it if gets the fully brunt it will only last a single battle.

But yeah, it's really stressful right now, but quite immersive. The diplomacy feature is a significant improvement for the game but, I do complain about some of it. Only France and Great Britain are allowed to make alliances. Unless an event triggers that earns me a Russian alliance, diplomacy between majors for Prussia seems to be pretty impossible. What also does not help is that any action that I do offends everyone. I build a single merchant ship, everyone gets severely upset about unfair commercial practices. I use the Volunteers decision, everyone denies my ambassadors due to the number of men signing up. My favorite is when everyone complains about my imperialistic stance, which I have been so peacefully preparing for the on coming storm, I haven't attacked or bullied any lesser nation. Meanwhile, Austria attacks Bavaria and Napoleon tears up Austria's western territories.

My only other complaint was that I could not click on the unit recruitment or decision icons in the upper left of the screen, despite the button being visible. The only way I can open them is with the function keys. Turn processing does take a while (10-20 mins in some cases), which is understandable due to the sheer amount of detail and calculations needed in this game.

But I'm still enjoying it a lot. I need to at least play one campaign before I jump into the multiplayer scene so I know how the army combat and organization works.
~Commodore Wesley

Lord Lancier

Postby Lord Lancier » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:42 am

Hello CommodoreWesley, i am in 3 PBeMs and my all buttons in game working ... but i also sometimes like to use F1,F2 ... F12
By the way as i heard from people Prussia is one of the hardest to play even in PBeMs put aside the SP game. Also diplomacy must be quite different in a MP when compared to playing with AI as all major nations are played by humans ^^
(TWC) The Wargaming Club

Lord Lancier

Postby Lord Lancier » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:07 am

Current Rosters for Club's active Wars of Napoleon (WON) grand campaign PBeMs. ^^
https://thewargamingclub.com
(TWC) The Wargaming Club

Return to “The Tavern”