New ETW custom map nearly ready to go - but need help

General Discussion on CA's latest expandalone.
Flavious
Villein
Villein

New ETW custom map nearly ready to go - but need help

Postby Flavious » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:07 am

Sorry if this is off-topic to NTW...Just couldn't find a good place to post this.
Inspired by the Lordz mapping tutorial and tools for making custom ETW maps, I've created a historical battle map for the Battle of White Plains (Oct. 28, 1776). Its heightmap was derived from satellite elevation data and Google Earth imagery.
Right now, I have my 4 levels of heightmap and 4 levels of colourmap completed. But I've encountered many problems at the stage where I have to get these files into the game. I've used Pack File Manager 1.11, and the blank.rar file to create the file structure for my battle map. Everythink looked correct, but the map still won't appear in-game. And lately, ETW even crashes. I realize I've learned just enough to be dangerous. It would be a shame to abandon a map I've put so much work into already, and which the community has expressed lively interest in on TWC:
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=370390
If anyone would like to collaborate from this point or take the map files I made and try to work them into usable pack, I would be interested.
All tips and assistance are greatly appreciated!

Lord Desaix
Lord
Lord

Re: New ETW custom map nearly ready to go - but need help

Postby Lord Desaix » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:39 am

Hi Flavious,
that would not be a problem but we're only working on NTW at the moment.
If you're interested in porting your map to NTW that would be nice and I could help.
I have Empire not even installed in my PC.
Maybe other Lordz can help you for Empire.

If you love the napoleonic period and are interested in map making process, we would be glad to start working together as we need new maps (better historical) for our upcoming NTW3.

Lord Badger
Honourary Lord
Honourary Lord

Postby Lord Badger » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:09 am

Flavious,

You might have to look at the db files, more specifically the db_battles & battles_skybox junction table. Your map needs to be registered there , as well as have records in the localisation file.

Probably this info wasn't included in the tutorials, which date from before NTW.

cheers
B
[N]Badger

[N] Marshal
former |LeJuntaIrregulars|
former |LGA - 1st| Majorl

http://www.napoleonics.eu

Flavious
Villein
Villein

Postby Flavious » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:23 pm

Thank you for the response and suggestions, Badger.

It's very easy to get into trouble with the db aspects -- I discovered I could export to Notepad and then re-import the edited .tsv files, so that allowed me to get my map into db/battles and text/localisation. But I didn't know there were any other tables I needed to change.

I'm hoping that, in the interests of having a new map to play, that you or someone in Lordz with skill in the pack files, tables, etc., could take my files and set them up as they need to be to get them working in the game. Then, perhaps, I could take the .pack file back, and continue with the process of adding objects, trees, etc. to complete the map. I'm happy for you to use my work for a new NTW map, if you also help me make a version for ETW at the same time.

Since this is a historical map of a 1776 battle, it really needs to be playable in ETW. I am a huge Napoleonics fan and respect the Lordz work in this area, but in the TW series my personal interest is in ETW, and I don't own NTW. There's really still a very active community around ETW, and since it's been around longer, there are many mods, and modders by now have had lots of time to improve it.

In a short while, we'll have an all-new version of The American Revolution mod for ETW, too, and many of us would love to have this new battle map to use with it. Please consider my request -- I'll post screenshots of the finished files in my next message, so you can see how attractive and exciting this map will be.

Lord CommodoreWesley
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord CommodoreWesley » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:16 pm

Hi. I am making a map of my neigborhood (which would be a very tatical battlefield) but I need in how to use google earth to make the hight map. If anyone has any tips for me, please reply or PM me.
Thanks!
~Commodore Wesley

Lord Fullin
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord Fullin » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:15 am

Lord Fenix is your man
Sauve qui peut!' 'Nous sommes trahis!'

[N]Clinch
Knight
Knight

Postby [N]Clinch » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:22 am

Your neighborhood?

Wym...
Baronet
Baronet

Postby Wym... » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:48 pm

Looks like we may get more maps for NTW3 :wink:
"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but by God they frighten me"

Lord CommodoreWesley
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord CommodoreWesley » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:35 pm

Yea. I live in Northeat Georgia (United States) and my neighborhood is actualy three riges however are conected togeter following a road on to a central hill. Also my house has a horse area behind it making it like a fleche (like in Borodino) and my house can be occupuiable and the barn also next to the area can be also, making that area a good LOC spot. Also the central hill is also a good place for art if taken over. You can go down the deploment riges but you will have to climb up the other which almost all the slopes are steep but climbable. So a main objective would be to have control of the roads in the map if you want to move without tiring your men. There are are also several other houses that might be occupuiable also.

Here is a satalite picture of my neighbor hood. You can't really see how steep the hills are, but basicaly the roads are the top of the ridges. Also the line of trees at are at the bottem of the valleys.
http://mapq.st/nEuLwE
~Commodore Wesley

Lord Desaix
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord Desaix » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:12 pm

Hi Wesley, just back from holidays. Monday I will check your data and see if I can work out a layer.

Return to “Napoleon Total War Vanilla”