Napoleon: Total War

General Discussion on CA's latest expandalone.
crazy canuck
Yeoman
Yeoman

Re: Napoleon: Total War

Postby crazy canuck » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:07 pm

Well, it certainly looks good.

But it just seems like ETW with different uniforms. Still not sure if I'll be buying it.

:orly: :orly:
God Save the Queen !

Mooncabbage
Villein
Villein

Postby Mooncabbage » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:42 am

I just want to complain loudly that Napoleon: Total War looks EXACTLY like Empire: Total War, in terms of gameplay. I from the trailer I could not spot one single thing that makes it worth being a seperate game. Infact it seems like me to be a whole load of work just to make it as good as the mods for ETW managed to get. It hasn't made any effort in relation to proper firing animations, to appropriate use of line and square, or anything else. The only innovations, if you could call them that, that I saw, were in the HUD. Everything is suddenly blue and units have Risk like symbols next to the unit flags to indicate their unit type, which seems totally superfluous. From a modding point of view it looks like Napoleon: Total Waste of time.

Gunfreak
Baronet
Baronet

Postby Gunfreak » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:25 pm

Also acording to the trailer, Napoleon invaded Russia in 1805, it skiped, the was of 1805, 1806-1807 and 1809

Lord Legless Lannes
Honourary Lord
Honourary Lord

Postby Lord Legless Lannes » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:44 pm

Lord Mooncabbage wrote:I just want to complain loudly that Napoleon: Total War looks EXACTLY like Empire: Total War, in terms of gameplay. I from the trailer I could not spot one single thing that makes it worth being a seperate game. Infact it seems like me to be a whole load of work just to make it as good as the mods for ETW managed to get. It hasn't made any effort in relation to proper firing animations, to appropriate use of line and square, or anything else. The only innovations, if you could call them that, that I saw, were in the HUD. Everything is suddenly blue and units have Risk like symbols next to the unit flags to indicate their unit type, which seems totally superfluous. From a modding point of view it looks like Napoleon: Total Waste of time.

What are you saying man!, we're counting on the likes of you to mod the damn thing lol. It's likely it will just be ETW cavorting in a Napoleonic dress but it's still Napoleonic and that's what the Lordz make no?
"One man scorned and covered with scars still strove with his last ounce of courage to reach the unreachable stars; and the world was better for this."

Don Quixote

http://www.napoleonics.eu

Lord Gunner24
Baronet
Baronet

Postby Lord Gunner24 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:15 pm

but it's still Napoleonic and that's what the Lordz make no?

Like it, or hate it, it will be the best game so far to TURN into a Napoleonic game if anyone can be bothered to do the work involved with modding the CA basics into something playable.
Gunner24
NBC founder 2008-2017.
http://napbc.freeforums.org/

Lord Crow
Honourary Lord
Honourary Lord

Postby Lord Crow » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:19 am

When is it supposed to be coming out?

I wouldn't be too surprised at CA just dressing up ETW for a Napoleonic game it must seem very tempting from their point of view.

Hopefully there are more dfferences that a go a little deeper than colours on the hud?

Lord von Döbeln
Honourary Lord
Honourary Lord

Postby Lord von Döbeln » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:23 am

It's supposed to be released in February IIRC.

LvD
"Let no bastard pass the bridge!"

- General Johan August Sandels in The Tales of Ensign Stål by Johan Ludvig Runeberg

Jakob
Baronet
Baronet

Postby Jakob » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:25 am

Lord Mooncabbage wrote:I just want to complain loudly that Napoleon: Total War looks EXACTLY like Empire: Total War, in terms of gameplay. I from the trailer I could not spot one single thing that makes it worth being a seperate game. Infact it seems like me to be a whole load of work just to make it as good as the mods for ETW managed to get. It hasn't made any effort in relation to proper firing animations, to appropriate use of line and square, or anything else. The only innovations, if you could call them that, that I saw, were in the HUD. Everything is suddenly blue and units have Risk like symbols next to the unit flags to indicate their unit type, which seems totally superfluous. From a modding point of view it looks like Napoleon: Total Waste of time.

LOL and MTW1 didn't look like Shogun, and Barbarian invasion didn't look exactly like Rome? Or Kingdoms like MTW2? Have you lived in a box for the last decade? If you're surprised that N:TW looks similar if not just alike as ETW well I guess news does come slow to Oz.

Somerset

Postby Somerset » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:09 am

Jakob wrote:

LOL and MTW1 didn't look like Shogun, and Barbarian invasion didn't look exactly like Rome? Or Kingdoms like MTW2? Have you lived in a box for the last decade? If you're surprised that N:TW looks similar if not just alike as ETW well I guess news does come slow to Oz.

:lol: thnks, i needed that this morning :mrgreen:

Marshal Beale
Gentleman
Gentleman

Postby Marshal Beale » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:49 am

Well I have already started to purpose a big mod for NTW at the TWC, possibly, if the Lordz want to help and join, that would be fine, go to the ETW unhosted mods forum-->wips, proposals forum. You'll see it. It's called Napoleon-Order of War, it a huge mod, a historical overhall and new units and maps, but it all depends on what is possible when modding NTW. Read the thread!
Marshal Beale - Creator of Napoleon Order of War and Revolution Order of War

Somerset

Postby Somerset » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:08 pm

Marshal Beale wrote:Well as a true and hard Scot, we on this island would have seen him as a terror and a tyrant but most of us know that he was a baby faced military genius!

Let me give a link MB, might be easier if you dont mind ;)
Btw, good luck...

(Proposal) The First Napoleon TW mod idea - Napoleon: Order of War http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=319395

Marshal Beale
Gentleman
Gentleman

Postby Marshal Beale » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:19 pm

AnkLrd wrote:Let me give a link MB, might be easier if you dont mind ;)
Btw, good luck...

(Proposal) The First Napoleon TW mod idea - Napoleon: Order of War http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=319395

Thanks Ank, all I need is support to keep the mod alive, I don't mind if the Lordz want to participate in the devolopment, we'll any member who can mod well, it could even become sponsered by the Lordz if they wish.

Anyway, have a great christmas everyone, and a happy new year!
Marshal Beale - Creator of Napoleon Order of War and Revolution Order of War

NapLrd1

Postby NapLrd1 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:51 pm

Mike Simpson wrote:Thursday Jan 14, 2010
Why Napoleon?
When we were making Empire: Total War we wanted the flow of the game to broadly match the flow of history. The idea was that the European powers start off in a relatively stable situation where major warfare in continental Europe is very expensive, very unpopular, and for the major powers generally a bad thing. There is much more fertile ground abroad, and so the major powers export their rivalry and conflict to the new world and India. As the century continues the major powers grow richer and more powerful, and they divide the world up between them. By the end of the century there is nowhere left to go, and the focus return to Europe for a grand denouement. In real life, this began the Napoleonic Wars.

Empire: Total War does try to steer things in this direction with variable success. Even when it all works out perfectly, what we would really like to have happen – something that is recognizably the Napoleonic wars – is just not feasible.

Firstly the timescale is not ideal – the Napoleonic wars were fought over a relatively few years. We could probably have coped with that though.

Secondly, by the time the player has played a couple of hundred turns and got to the starting line for the denouement wars, his game world will have diverged from history so much that anything remotely resembling the Napoleonic wars is very unlikely. But we could probably have worked out a way round that too, maybe even without putting the game in to such a tight straightjacket that it would cease to be a game.

But thirdly and most importantly, the level of detail required to successfully depict the Napoleonic wars is an order of magnitude greater than we were working to with Empire: Total War. The period was documented in great detail, and that detail is readily available and widely consumed. Fans of the period would be disappointed if we failed to delve in to that detail. And I am one of those fans. I started Napoleonic table top war gaming when I was a teenager in the 70’s. I also had the great pleasure of working on Peter Turcan’s “Waterloo” series of games at Mirrorsoft in the late 80’s. It’s taken another 20 years to get back to this era, and I wanted to do it properly.

So that’s what we’re doing. There is more than enough material in the Napoleonic wars to sustain a TW game, and Empire: Total War provides the perfect platform to build it on. With a tight feature set and all the tech working before we start we can focus on making the game as close to perfect as we possibly can on day one.

So what exactly is Napoleon? A full Total War release? An expansion pack?

You don’t need to have Empire to play Napoleon. In comparison, we’ve put about 4 times as much effort in to it as we did for BI. The vast majority of the content is completely new. Some of the battlefield buildings and textures are the same as is some text – no reason to change them – but all the other graphics and data is new.

Code wise all areas of the game have advanced from Empire, there are a fair number of new or changed features, and the game has the same kind of twists to the gameplay that we’ve done to make it play quite differently. The character focus also gives it quite a different feel. And of course by keeping the historical scope reasonably limited we’ve made sure we deliver better quality code on day 1.

Overall, to seasoned Empire players it’s a huge new experience and step up in quality. It should be fresh and different and interesting enough to hold their attention for many, many hours. To anyone who hasn’t played its predecessors, Napoleon is the best TW we’ve made, and a great way to get in to the series. Everyone wins.

Lord Desaix
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord Desaix » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:26 pm

I will be more than glad to help Marshal Beale.

But as Mooncabbage above I just think is the same rewarmed soup (don't know the idiom in english) with the same big limits of Empire.

I've tried a lot to suggest in public forum (both yuku and TWC) what was needed to depict a reasonable napoleonic tactical engagement but with no success judging from the previews, in short a:

- MODDABLE SQUARE

- PROPER COLUMN with bonus

- LIGHT INFANTRY in OPEN ORDER with morale malus

It seemed the community agreed more or less with these needed modifications but they were simply ignored by devs.

I still think TW is the best compromise between arcade and realism and with little improvements it could have turned in a great game. Not this time I think, and given the always increasing difficult to properly mod the engine, I guess it will never do.

It was a greta pity that Lordz Game Studio gave up from their napoleonic game. :evil:

Lord Braindead Colonel
Honourary Lord
Honourary Lord

Postby Lord Braindead Colonel » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:40 pm

Legio_Desaix wrote:It was a greta pity that Lordz Game Studio gave up from their napoleonic game. :evil:

More like postponed. It might turn out for the better too, as some early posts indicated that the game would have been restricted to 1v1s in multiplayer. Maybe with the extra time they will be able to change that.
From the graves of our slain
Shall thy valour prevail
As we greet thee again-
Hail, Liberty! Hail!

Jakob
Baronet
Baronet

Postby Jakob » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:28 pm

Legio_Desaix wrote:I will be more than glad to help Marshal Beale.

But as Mooncabbage above I just think is the same rewarmed soup (don't know the idiom in english) with the same big limits of Empire.

I've tried a lot to suggest in public forum (both yuku and TWC) what was needed to depict a reasonable napoleonic tactical engagement but with no success judging from the previews, in short a:

- MODDABLE SQUARE

- PROPER COLUMN with bonus

- LIGHT INFANTRY in OPEN ORDER with morale malus

It seemed the community agreed more or less with these needed modifications but they were simply ignored by devs.

I still think TW is the best compromise between arcade and realism and with little improvements it could have turned in a great game. Not this time I think, and given the always increasing difficult to properly mod the engine, I guess it will never do.

I'd like to remind you that CA is not a reenactment group and neither are the players. They have to make compromises to appeal to everyone who will play the game. This may come as a surprise to you, but not everyone wants the game how you want it. It seems that alot of people here were expecting Empire (and NTW) to be NTW2. When that didn't turn out to be the case, everyone began hating it because it's not what they were expecting. ETW is not a bad game in the least. It's been the most successful release of any of the Total War games and has been the top PC game to play for the last year. (Not THE top, but it's on the list) And I do think that NTW will be just as successful.

Sure modding is lacking as far as ETW goes, but that's just it. If a game needs mods to be a good one, than CA has a problem. So far ETW has gone on just fine without any major mods. (There aren't really any mods worth mentioning, imo, just not to the depth of NTW2, Broken Crescent, or Europa Barborum)

I would also like to add that if you rewarm soup after it sits over night, it tastes 110% better.

NapLrd1

Postby NapLrd1 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:37 pm

20th January, 2010
Napoleon: Total War™ Debuting Campaign Multiplayer
LONDON & SAN FRANCISCO (January 20th, 2010) – SEGA® Europe Ltd. and SEGA® of America, Inc. today announced that, for the first time in Total War™ history, the Campaign Mode in Napoleon: Total War™ will feature both single player and multiplayer modes.

This much-requested mode will allow players to experience the full depth of Napoleon: Total War in a multiplayer environment – either working to stop Napoleon’s advance, or competing against each other to better his achievements. Each of the three theatres of war from Napoleon’s career - Italy, Egypt and Europe - are available out of the box in 2 player turn-based online games.

Another exciting multiplayer option has been added to Napoleon: Total War – Drop-in Battles. When starting a Single Player Campaign in Napoleon: Total War, players are presented with an option to allow Drop-in Battles. Drop-in battles bring a fresh challenge to the single player campaign mode by allowing the players opponents to be controlled in real-time by an online adversary.

Campaign Multiplayer has been made possible for Napoleon: Total War by the immense success that the Campaign Multiplayer Beta for Empire: Total War™ proved to be. The Beta started on December 7th 2009 with over 15.000 Total War fans helping out in the testing of this new Multiplayer Mode. Feedback from consumers has been very positive, and with the BETA still ongoing, consumers can contribute to the testing of this new addition to the Total War series.

“Following all the great feedback we've had from our fans for the Empire Multiplayer Campaign Beta, we're proud to announce that all three campaigns in Napoleon: Total War will be multiplayer enabled.” said Mike Simpson, Creative Director at The Creative Assembly and creator of the Total War franchise. “We'd like to thank our fans for all their support.”

Napoleon: Total War builds on the successful Total War series by taking all the features from previous games, such as the full 3D land and naval battles, the detailed campaign map, and an in depth diplomacy system by taking them a step further.

Napoleon: Total War hits shelves on 23 February 2010.

For more information please visit www.totalwar.com

Andreas
Villein
Villein

Postby Andreas » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:49 pm

Napoleon: Total War Chapter 2 - Campaigns of the Coalition trailer:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGM6zAUd5Tw[/youtube]
Merde! The Guard dies, it does not surrender. Cambronne surrenders, he does not die.

Salis De Silver
Baronet
Baronet

Postby Salis De Silver » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:13 pm

I personally can't wait for this addition of TW, having played NTW1 & 2. Back then it was making Square and Carbines that were the issue. Empire was a big step in the right direction, my hope is that the modding community can expand on the game meaning, Swedish, Spanish, Italian factions etc I love the campaign side of things and hope we can somehow build on this in the community with custom campaigns.
But the real joy is in the mp side of things, we have tried in the past to organise mp campaigns which didn't really get of the ground. Now maybe we have a game engine that can help us fulfil this role.

Viva La Emperor......Long live the King!
Up, Guards, and at 'em. ~ Wellington
'Failing to prepare, is preparing to fail!
To call war the soul of courage and virtue is like calling debauchery the soul of love - Old german proverb

Salis De Silver

Jakob
Baronet
Baronet

Postby Jakob » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:39 pm

Salis De Silver wrote:I personally can't wait for this addition of TW, having played NTW1 & 2. Back then it was making Square and Carbines that were the issue. Empire was a big step in the right direction, my hope is that the modding community can expand on the game meaning, Swedish, Spanish, Italian factions etc I love the campaign side of things and hope we can somehow build on this in the community with custom campaigns.
But the real joy is in the mp side of things, we have tried in the past to organise mp campaigns which didn't really get of the ground. Now maybe we have a game engine that can help us fulfil this role.

Viva La Emperor......Long live the King!

SALIS! It's been too long since you have been here. (Must be some..eh..interesting changes here last time you posted..?) And I can totally remember those problems with carbines, square formation and cannister back in the ntw1 days. Glory days gone by, eh? :smile:

Add me on steam---> jakob1815

NapLrd1

Postby NapLrd1 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:02 am

Steam News

OFFICIAL STEAM TIME: MONDAY, JANUARY 25, 2010 - 11:00 PM

SEGA uses Steamworks at retail and online with Aliens vs. Predator and Napoleon: Total War
JANUARY 25, 2010, 12:10 PM - VALVE - PRESS RELEASE

Two highly anticipated titles from SEGA, Aliens vs. Predator and Napoleon: Total War will ship with Steamworks support at retail and online, including among other features, Achievements, Matchmaking, Leaderboards, Stats, and Cloud. Aliens vs. Predator will ship on Steam and at retail in mid-February. Napoleon: Total War will ship on Steam and at retail in late February.

NapLrd1

Postby NapLrd1 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:34 am

NTW Lobby chaT :shocked: :rolleyes:

Andreas
Villein
Villein

Postby Andreas » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:59 am

Napoleon: Total War Chapter 3 - Multiplayer trailer:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lGmp4fpg3k[/youtube]
Merde! The Guard dies, it does not surrender. Cambronne surrenders, he does not die.

crazy canuck
Yeoman
Yeoman

Postby crazy canuck » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:12 am

Well, it sure does look good.

But I sill not sure I will buy it. I do not like playing the campaign mode, and it's not worth buying it for multilayer.

I'll have to try the demo first, it they release one.

But it does look good
God Save the Queen !

DougieJ
Esquire
Esquire

Postby DougieJ » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:49 pm

I will buy it for sure, i used to play campaigns but now its MP only, Not ETW vanilla which for me is horrible, we have had two not perfect but very playable mods in Trom and Tac War.
For NTW we will need a lot of modding to suit the minority of players who want a realistic and not arcade style of battle simulation. I hope the Lordz are able to give us that. :wink:

Cheers DJ :wink:

Return to “Napoleon Total War Vanilla”