Napoleon's Retreat

This is for Discussions about Napoleonic History only.
Raguel
Gentleman
Gentleman

Postby Raguel » Sat May 13, 2006 7:50 pm

Well alternative story rocks :D. Just imagine what would happen if Jagiello actually destroyed the Teutonic Order instead of getting drunk after Tannenberg :D.

(maybe you could catch me on msn or gg? let me know, oh and btw, do you remember the title of that book?)

cheers

last off top.
Salvation lies in the blood of your enemies.

Lord Crow

Postby Lord Crow » Sun May 14, 2006 12:32 am

cegorach wrote:Simplification.

So Lithuanins, Belorussians and Poles did it many times with success I can add.

Just because Montgomery said once - want to lose invade Russia - doesn't mean anything he knew nothing about eastern europe anyway.

It is a different environment that is all, it is hard to fight there for a 'normal' european army, besides both Napoleon and Hitler attacked before suspected Russian attack ( Hitler planned it for later anyway) so I wouldn't say so that it was a mistake or something - only the way it was done was with errors and unexpected suprises.

Regards Cegorach :wink:

Thats a little unfair on Monty. I think he was talking about modern warfare and was quite accurate. e.g Napoleon onwards.

cegorach
Baronet
Baronet

Postby cegorach » Sun May 14, 2006 5:13 am

Lord Crow wrote:
cegorach wrote:Simplification.

So Lithuanins, Belorussians and Poles did it many times with success I can add.

Just because Montgomery said once - want to lose invade Russia - doesn't mean anything he knew nothing about eastern europe anyway.

It is a different environment that is all, it is hard to fight there for a 'normal' european army, besides both Napoleon and Hitler attacked before suspected Russian attack ( Hitler planned it for later anyway) so I wouldn't say so that it was a mistake or something - only the way it was done was with errors and unexpected suprises.

Regards Cegorach :wink:

Thats a little unfair on Monty. I think he was talking about modern warfare and was quite accurate. e.g Napoleon onwards.

Maybe, but he was ignorant nonetheless e.g. when he met general Maczek (commander of the 1st Polish armoured division - earlier commander of the 'black brigade'in 1939 and 10th cavalry brigade in 1940 in France) he asked him - so what language are you using in Poland German or Russian ? :? If he didn't know what language is used in the largest country between Germany and Russia I can't expect him to be a reliable source in this matter - the esterneuropean warfare especially. :wink:

Besides he was an arrogant fool if you ask me - the whole Market Garden idea was damn stupid.
"In courage hope. In victory rescue. Do your duty !"

Hetman Z?łkiewski before the battle of Klushino in 1610

Visit Pike and Musket TW forum
http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=98

cegorach
Baronet
Baronet

Postby cegorach » Sun May 14, 2006 5:16 am

[quote="Raguel"]Well alternative story rocks :D. Just imagine what would happen if Jagiello actually destroyed the Teutonic Order instead of getting drunk after Tannenberg :D.

----------> Again unlikely it was possible at all, honestly it would be very unwise for a former pagan to crush 'supercatholic' order.

(maybe you could catch me on msn or gg? let me know, oh and btw, do you remember the title of that book?)

---------> Bomba Eisenheimera if I am correct 20 page short story.

Yes, lets go back to the main topic.

:wink:

HuronKing
Esquire
Esquire

Postby HuronKing » Sun May 14, 2006 5:25 am

Hmm slightly distracted from the point? We're trying to find out why Napoleon did not choose an alternative route out of Russia. :)
Strength and Honor
Psalms 119:89
"Forever O Lord Thy Word Is Settled In Heaven."

Lord Crow

Postby Lord Crow » Mon May 15, 2006 12:11 am

Don't agree with at all Cegorach, you condem a man for asking what language is more spoken in Poland as I bet both were then anyway. You can't expect him to know everything about every country and this certainly did not mean that he knew nothing about eastern warfare or are you saying that every eastern leader that invaded a country could speak it's language? That is plain daft. I don't expect you to understand or like Monty but I would appreciate it if you left the personal insults aside as from your argument the one that looks arrogant is you m8. Anyway enough of this and as HuronKing said let's get back on topic.

cegorach
Baronet
Baronet

Postby cegorach » Mon May 15, 2006 6:23 am

Lord Crow wrote:Don't agree with at all Cegorach, you condem a man for asking what language is more spoken in Poland as I bet both were then anyway.

You can't expect him to know everything about every country and this certainly did not mean that he knew nothing about eastern warfare or are you saying that every eastern leader that invaded a country could speak it's language? That is plain daft.

I don't expect you to understand or like Monty but I would appreciate it if you left the personal insults aside as from your argument the one that looks arrogant is you m8. Anyway enough of this and as HuronKing said let's get back on topic.
:shock:

Yes, I am arrogant so you are right as you certainly always do and indeed I don't understand Mongomery as many people did :twisted: maybe they were arrogant and foolish I don't know.
I gave the example of his lack of knowledge - after all what does he know about easterneuropean warfare without most basic information about the region I doubt he can claim anything of value like this - 'want to lose invade Russia' unless he KNOWS something about the history of the region.
I am not going to write more about this guy it would mean several more pages of arrogance and lack of professionalism which is often omitted by the sources which need a British warhero.
And now don't you dare to say that I am writing off-topic because it it YOU who made me to answer I certainly wouldn't agree to hear your little speach without a proper response.
You cannot say something and tell someone to shut up or can you LORD MODERATOR ? :?:

Arman
Baronet
Baronet

Postby Arman » Mon May 15, 2006 9:17 am

Cegorach you are so furius!~!! :P
Come I will take you into my Budionovtsi Squad :-))) we will be taking lot of heads :twisted:

Really no point to be so critical, I really don't know what language they speak in Gimalai. Or if Sikh speaking Indian or other language.

LittleSoldier
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby LittleSoldier » Mon May 15, 2006 9:19 am

what proves that you know the information about the east?

cegorach
Baronet
Baronet

Postby cegorach » Tue May 16, 2006 6:02 pm

I don't, I am just pretending, everyone knows that :lol:

Return to “The Napoleonic Library”