Bravest men on the field (Allies)

This is for Discussions about Napoleonic History only.
Salis De Silver
Baronet
Baronet

Bravest men on the field (Allies)

Postby Salis De Silver » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:12 am

Just a side note, found this and found it very interesting to note who Wellington considered the bravest man on the field that day.

When a patriotic rector left ?500 in his will for ''the bravest man in England'', Wellington, asked adjudicate in this sensitive issue, nominated Lieutenant Colonel Macdonnell for his role in closing the gates at Hougoumont. Lieutenant Colonel Macdonnell promptly shared the prize with Sergeant Graham. Today, the Sergeants' Mess of the 1st Battalion remembers Sergeant Graham's gallantry every year during the tradition of ''Hanging the Brick''.
Up, Guards, and at 'em. ~ Wellington
'Failing to prepare, is preparing to fail!
To call war the soul of courage and virtue is like calling debauchery the soul of love - Old german proverb

Salis De Silver

MacAdder
Gentleman
Gentleman

Postby MacAdder » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:00 pm

He was joined in closing the gate by an officer called Wyndham. Apparently, after that experience, Wyndham could never bear to shut a door.

Wyndham was also said to have come very close to capturing Prince Jer?me. He apparently jumped in one door of the prince's coach as the prince jumped out the other, narrowly missing him.
"The discharge of every gun was followed by a fall of men and horses like grass before the mower's scythe."
--- Captain Alexander Mercer

"All I'm asking for is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy!"
--- Spike Milligan

OG Grenadier
Baronet
Baronet

Postby OG Grenadier » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:26 am

I'm sorry the 1st Battalion of which Regiment are you referring to? The Coldstreamers is my guess. Fascinating historical tidbit I must say. :)

Salis De Silver
Baronet
Baronet

Postby Salis De Silver » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:13 am

Quite correct Sir.
Up, Guards, and at 'em. ~ Wellington

'Failing to prepare, is preparing to fail!

To call war the soul of courage and virtue is like calling debauchery the soul of love - Old german proverb

Salis De Silver

Return to “The Napoleonic Library”