British in NTW2

This is for Discussions about Napoleonic History only.
zerosktz
Serf

British in NTW2

Postby zerosktz » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:53 pm

Hey lads... First off, I would just like to say that you are doing a bloody brilliant job with NTW2 as seen from the enticing screenies you've released thusfar... What I wanted to ask, however, was if any work or progress has been made in creating the British Military for NTW2? or if any plans exist to include Wellington's Army in the mod, as well as the French (obviously :? ) and the Russians? I'm just wondering because all I've read so far on the forums regard the French and Russians at Borodino... and as you might guess, I would just love to see your rendition of the Rifles, the Household Cavalry, and perhaps even Wellington himself!

Keep up the good work mates! Cheers.

Lady Meg
Honourary Lord
Honourary Lord

Postby Lady Meg » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:06 am

The plan is to finish the Russian and French faction first and then begin on other nations.

Please be so kind as to pick an avatar and welcome to our forums! :D

Devoirs The Empress
"Act well your part, there all the honour lies." -Pope

"England Expects That Every Man Will Do His DUTY" - Nelson via Mr. Pasco at Trafalgar 1805

spad
Yeoman
Yeoman

Postby spad » Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:00 pm

most important napoleonic war nation must be in this mod before english
like the austrian and the prussian.
english troop fight only in a small period and on only one big battlefield
(spain)
russian and french fought in the biggest battle and on the biggest battlefield of this war.
la garde meurt mais ne se rend pas

Lady Meg
Honourary Lord
Honourary Lord

Postby Lady Meg » Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:25 pm

Yes you are right that silly little Spanish Ulcer had no great impact on the rest of the world's events. :D

Devoirs The Empress

"England Expects That Every Man Will Do His DUTY" - Nelson via Mr. Pasco at Trafalgar 1805

Lord Crow

Postby Lord Crow » Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:28 pm

hahahahaha, well said Lady Meg. It seems Nelson is forgotten as well. And also the Prussian, Austrian and indeed Russian Armies relied on British handouts to keep going.

Lady Meg
Honourary Lord
Honourary Lord

Postby Lady Meg » Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:32 pm

I wasn't trying to say that they (countries listed by spad) are not as important and perhaps more so, but trying to rank who gets highest honors in the Napoleonic Wars seems a mute point to me. All had their part to play, and without all of the nations present following through with their actions and causing other events, we'd not have the Nappy Wars as we know them.

Devoirs The Empress

Lord Crow

Postby Lord Crow » Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:15 pm

I agree Meg, it just seems to me though that Britains part in the Napoleonic era is sometimes dumbed down and I too think every Nation had it's part to play.

PS Lady Meg you keep making me smile everytime you say 'Nappy Wars' LOL. It's like us saying the 'Dyper Wars' lol.

spad
Yeoman
Yeoman

Postby spad » Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:48 pm

english people are very strange when we talking about tis era, of course spain was a big battlefiel but if spain was the only one battelfield of this wars i don't think that napoleon was beaten, it is the addition of spain russia, germany guerrilla which was the main cause of the napoleon defeat. and i think that russian was the most important.
austria and prussia fight during the napoleonic war several years before england that's why they are most important, of course without the gold of this english coward they can't continue to fight against napoleon the first

Lady Meg
Honourary Lord
Honourary Lord

Postby Lady Meg » Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:30 pm

All differences of opinions and all valid. :)

Devoirs The Empress

spad
Yeoman
Yeoman

Postby spad » Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:37 pm

agreed :)

Salis De Silver
Baronet
Baronet

Postby Salis De Silver » Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:56 am

ah...but wasn't Waterloo not in Spain?
Up, Guards, and at 'em. ~ Wellington
'Failing to prepare, is preparing to fail!
To call war the soul of courage and virtue is like calling debauchery the soul of love - Old german proverb

Salis De Silver

spad
Yeoman
Yeoman

Postby spad » Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:03 am

waterloo ( a germany victory where some british troop give support 25% exactly) and spain that's all the british know, no austria, germany russia, poland, italy ah yes i forgot the ridiculous engagement in holland and the war against united states where they loose for the second time :lol:
but of course i want to see them in NTW2 as the swedish or the danish for making the courageous attack on copenhague

Lord Zimoa of Flanders
Honourary Lord
Honourary Lord

Postby Lord Zimoa of Flanders » Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:44 pm

The truth is why Russian models were finished first is that Lord Flint is a Canadian with a Russian background and Lord Ronin is from the Ukraine so they wanted to start with them, a logic second was to do the French so we at least had two enemies to start with. :D

Cheers,

LZoF :wink:

Lord Crow

Postby Lord Crow » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:01 pm

I cannot agree with your opinion Spad. Which English coward you talking about who supplied the Gold? Waterloo was an Allied victory the majority of the Prussians didn't get there till after the French had routed on Wellington's right. That's like saying that the US won WWII. If you refer to the 1812 war Britain did not lose that some say it was a draw but if you ask a Canadian m8 they will say they won it, Canada that is. I never said that the Peninsular was the be all and end all I said it was a turning point that marked the French defeat and the Russian campaign was the final nail in the dictators coffin and yet exposed more flaws in the man. Were you beig sarcastic about the British attack on Copenhagen? If you were I suggest you pick up book, the attack in my mind was justified and they were given a choice beforehand not like all the men in Egypt Napoleon left to die. Just answer me this Spad, let's say Britain had nothing to do with the npoleonic wars, that means no Nelson, Wellington or gold the French would have easily conquered Europe and held it but now you add Britain back in with Nelson, Wellington and her gold result French defeat, so tell me who played the most important part? But for me the French dictators downfall was an Allied victory with each country playing there part and if you thik Britain just did spain m8 try reading a tad more. Hint * The Briny.

spad
Yeoman
Yeoman

Postby spad » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:26 pm

well it is your point of view , danish maybe don't agree with you. of course all country had a role in this war but it is funny to see how english people want to put their small army always on the top, german, russian austrian swedis, danish, hungarian etc don't do that.
it is not a shame to say that waterloo was first an allied victory before an english one. great britain had no big army that's why they prefer launch all european country against french than his onw army (it is logical they don't want to lost their force in a inegal fight) but it is not very courageous position it is just an intelligent strategy that's all.
british army made this error several years after, in dunkerk and nelson navy will be replace by british air force.
england is an island that's why they manage to avoid so much invasion otherwise you speak french or german now. but is my point of view.
and napoleon was the same kind of dictator than any king or emperor.
the history is write by the winner isn't it.

Lady Meg
Honourary Lord
Honourary Lord

Postby Lady Meg » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:44 pm

It is writen by the winner to a certain extent spad, but even the ones who do not come out of a conflict on top get their story known somehow or another. One must look to other sources and read between the lines bu through contempery study and cross-references you can discover rather a lot about a lessor known faction or idea.

Devoirs The Empress

Lord Crow

Postby Lord Crow » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:50 pm

Britain committed all it's troops it had to the Napoleonic wars they happened to be fighting another one the other side of the pond what other country was fighting two major wars? Your accusation is distasteful. I'm not putting Britain at the top I'm not just not belittling their contribution as you seem to be. And it was Frenchmen who said that Britain had the finest Cavalry (Scots Greys) and t was Marshall Soult who praised the British Army. Even if Waterloo was lost the Allies would still have won the war. The Dutch and Prussians performed heroics at Quatre Bras as did the Highlanders. I'm the first to admit that Britain stood no chance on land on her own (Sea was a different matter) but to say Britain's contribution was not valid and just as worthy as her other Alies is an injustice. You say history being written by the winner but Capt Sibornes biased account was torn to shreds and quite righly so. British people do hold Waterloo dear it's true but you will find the great majority hold the view that it was an Allied victory (Not Prussian or British).
Waterloo must be one of the most written about battles. England is not and island Great Britain is, to be an island you have to be surrounded by water o all sides no? If you knew anything about the English language it has French, German, Arabic, Greek, Norse ETC already in it. And sorry m8 no way is a King the same as Napoleon the dictator. Our King at that time had a Government and it was they who made the decisions not the King. Now an Emperor ala dictator makes all the decisions by himself, see the difference?

PS Britain was also figthing with the Irish so that was 3 fronts, and you say we were at home hiding?

spad
Yeoman
Yeoman

Postby spad » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:13 pm

and wellington said that since he made the battle of waterloo he knows which cavalery was the best in the world because he had to defend his position against it. it is funny that some general prefer the ennemy cavalery.
well saying that british fight with irish is a little strange when we knows how irish people hate british. and ireland is not a foreign front it is the great britain isn't it?
and king or emperor all this personn want only power for their country that's the only reason why they make war

Olaf_Rassmussen
Yeoman
Yeoman

Postby Olaf_Rassmussen » Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:34 pm

Just put it the simple way, Brits had the money. Cant deny that Britain had large influence in the world that time :D
"That's no ordinary rabbit!...that's the most foul, cruel and bad-tempered rodent you ever set eyes on"

Lord Crow

Postby Lord Crow » Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:37 am

Kings and Queens at that time and from really the 1640's lost all power to the government and was more of a democracy the king can not go to war or declare war. All action taken by Great Britain had to passed in Parliament so it's about the furthest away from a dictatorship as you can get. When I said Britain fought with the Irish it was against the Irish rebels. And you are quite wrong to say all Irish hate the British as they don't. And Wellington had Irish troops under his command. And sorry m8 again Ireland is not in Great Britain it is in the UK two seperate things. :lol:

spad
Yeoman
Yeoman

Postby spad » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:17 pm

well you are playing on the word, scot and welsh are not with the brit in this way. when i was in ireland (north and south) i saw that brit where not welcome and beloved.

zzzms
Yeoman
Yeoman

Postby zzzms » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:40 pm

Hang on there, Spad, old bean :P , I have quite a few Irish friends (Northern and 'Southern'), and have visited the Emerald Isle many times and have always been made most welcome (Will show you my liver as proof!). Yes, there are anti-English feelings, all across the globe, but the same can be said of many other nations... And is this not mostly rooted in the past? It's time to move on, methinks...

Lord Crow

Postby Lord Crow » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:41 pm

I'm afraid they are mate, I'm not playing with any words. If you want to know the correct terms they are, Great Britain = Wales, Scotland and England. United Kingdom = Wales, Scotland, England and N. Ireland and then you have the British Isles which is England, Scotland, Wales and the whole of Ireland. The British Isles is a Geographical term rather than a political term. You are perfectly right to say that parts of Ireland do not welcome British or English people but then again there are plenty that do and in the south of Ireland too. The main reason why N. Ireland is still in the UK is because of public opinion.

PS Well said zzzms

Captain Hieronymus Taco
Villein
Villein

Postby Captain Hieronymus Taco » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:47 pm

Lord Crow wrote:British people do hold Waterloo dear it's true but you will find the great majority hold the view that it was an Allied victory (Not Prussian or British).

To help alleviate some of the disagreement here, I think more of a failure on Napolean's part than a great allied victory. Obviously, it was a great victory, but I think that victory was in large part due to poor tactics on Napolean's part, for example sending his cavalry to attack the British squares. Obviously all of the allied nations contributed to the victory, and none of us can say whose contribution was greater.

spad
Yeoman
Yeoman

Postby spad » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:50 pm

i beg your pardon , i made a mistake on the real term
i believed that great britain or united knigdom was the same thing.
well to finish i am sure that british force are welcome and must be in the ntw2 but in the same place as the prussia or bavaria.

Return to “The Napoleonic Library”