Trafalgar 200th anniversary

This is for Discussions about Napoleonic History only.
TennysonBull
Serf

Trafalgar 200th anniversary

Postby TennysonBull » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:14 am

Greetings. This is my first message on these forums so please excuse the multiple topics in one post:

Seeing as how the 21st will mark the 200th anniversary of Trafalgar, I am looking for a good napoleonic naval computer game. any thoughts? i'm thinking of wooden ships & iron men if i can find it.

Also, if there are any members Norfolk, VA area who are interested in a tabletop napoleonic wargame at 1:1200 scale on Saturday, October 22nd, please pm me. i've got all of the ships, rules, etc. to play (just no other napoleonic naval enthusiasts).

Finally, it is most unfortunate that RTW2 did not include a means to play naval battles. While I would love to see NTW2 have the option for naval action, I doubt that the game engine would allow it (unless you can somehow make the game treat naval battles as land battles, with water replacing grass and ships replacing units and/or seige weapons).

Lady Meg
Honourary Lord
Honourary Lord

Postby Lady Meg » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:45 pm

Hello there and welcome to our forums! Thank you for your thoughts and your tidings.

I'm looking forward to a good naval warfare game too and when I find one I'll be the first to post about it. :D To be honest there aren't any to my knowledge that are worth looking into (that I know of) that capture the themes of the Napoleonic Wars on the oceans. There's been a few pirate based games that have been okay (Sid Meier's Pirates! and Cutthroats: Terror on the High Seas), more fun then historic. There was a game called Age of Sail 2 that tried really hard to put you at the helm of a mighty oak bastion but the bugs were too much to bare.

I've a few friends stationed in Norfolk, but alas! I am not there else I'd love to play. :) Never done a tabletop wargame before.

As for modding waterborne fighting into RTW, it is being looked into.

Devoirs The Empress
"Act well your part, there all the honour lies." -Pope

"England Expects That Every Man Will Do His DUTY" - Nelson via Mr. Pasco at Trafalgar 1805

Salis De Silver
Baronet
Baronet

Postby Salis De Silver » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:14 am

There is Imperial Glory that as a decent naval battle setup. Quite enjoyable I thought :)
Up, Guards, and at 'em. ~ Wellington
'Failing to prepare, is preparing to fail!
To call war the soul of courage and virtue is like calling debauchery the soul of love - Old german proverb

Salis De Silver

Lady Meg
Honourary Lord
Honourary Lord

Postby Lady Meg » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:38 pm

You enjoyed it Salis? What were the big selling points of it, if I may ask?

Devoirs The Empress

"England Expects That Every Man Will Do His DUTY" - Nelson via Mr. Pasco at Trafalgar 1805

Salis De Silver
Baronet
Baronet

Postby Salis De Silver » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:49 pm

I just found IG a pleasure to play, graphics smooth, gameplay was good. Maybe not diverse enough for others, but I found it a pleasure to play. It gave off the feel of the era for me.

To call war the soul of courage and virtue is like calling debauchery the soul of love - Old german proverb

Salis De Silver

Lady Meg
Honourary Lord
Honourary Lord

Postby Lady Meg » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:57 pm

I mean the sea battles in particular, but fair enough. :D It was fun for what it was worth. You did well to recall that title to help out TennysonBull.

Devoirs The Empress

Salis De Silver
Baronet
Baronet

Postby Salis De Silver » Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:07 pm

When myself and Dury dabbled in the campaign aspect of NTW we did look into using IG for the sea battles, but it would have relied upon most NTW's having IG which wasn't really feasable alas.

But you can judge for yourself at the IG site :

http://www.imperialglory.com/main.htm

Salis De Silver

Return to “The Napoleonic Library”