NTW3 5.0 - Release Notes & Download Links

Lord Liberalis
Lord
Lord

NTW3 5.0 - Release Notes & Download Links

Postby Lord Liberalis » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:03 am

Fellow officers, wannabe-generals and fans,

After a 5th year of development, we are as always really proud to bring to your attention the release of the 5th version of our epic mod: Napoleonic Total War III.

NTW3 version 5.0 features now:

• 648 Units (37 new)
  • 154 Maps (9 new)
  • 23 Historical Battles
  • Fully working and improved Single-Player AND! MP campaigns
  • Wesleys MP Naval-Mod
  • A complete rebuild of several factions uniforms (France 1811 uniforms, SP 1805 campaign etc)
  • Gameplay improvements
  • 4 New Factions

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Factions

• Image Imperial Guard
    Under the command of Napoleon Bonaparte, French Emperor & General.

• Image British Expeditionary Force (Iberian Peninsula - 1812)
    Under the command of General Arthur Wellesley, Commander of Allied forces in Spain.

• Image French IV Corps (Spain - 1809)
    Under the command of General Horace Sebastiani.

• Image Prussian Freikorps (Germany -1813)
    Under the command of Major Ludwig Adolf Wilhelm von Lützow.

Units

Maps

New MP features.

Here are the MP changes:

• General:
    -Firing-Target zones removed
    -Prices adjusted to better reflect the ratings of the factions.
    -Moral debuffs for losses increased.
    -Fatigue costs for running & melee increased, recovery rate increased.
    -Squares made more ‘impervious’ to cavalry movement (friends & enemies).
    -Most Ottoman troops can guerilla deploy & fortify, Ottoman infantry combat stat’s reduced.
    -Most Free-Corps (new faction) troops can guerilla deploy.

• Infantry:
    -Musketry fire rate substantially increased, accuracy reduced to equalise effect.
    -Skirmisher movement speed reduced.
    -Charge bonus reduced.

• Cavalry:
    -Stats reworked to increase the difference between classes (light, medium & heavy).
    -Medium & heavy cavalry move slightly faster.
    -Heavy cavalry made more expensive.
    -Squadron sized units weakened.

• Artillery
    -Heavy guns fire rate improved.
    -Canister cone-of-fire tightened, pellet number increased slightly.

SP & NEW MP Campaign Features

Please find detailed release notes and additional info about SP Campaign by clicking this link:

SP & MP Naval Battles

The Naval mod has some graphic improvements for v5 and you can only recruit ships that the 1805 factions actually built and sailed during this time period. Sorry but no First Rates for Mecklandberg or the Prussians. :hm:

~ Lord CommodoreWesley

Historical Battles

In a future patch, you'll have the pleasure to test 2 new HB battles, those of La Rothiere and Corunna.

Credits

• Lord Avon Ulysses
  • Lord Bloody Bill
  • Lord Commodore Wesley
  • Lord Cosak
  • Lord Davn
  • Lord Desaix
  • Lord Fullin
  • Lord Hokomoko
  • Lord JC
  • Lord Kester
  • Lord LeglessLannes
  • Lord Liberalis
  • Lord Sean Cappone
  • Lord Von Clausewitz

Special thanks to our hard-core fans (100 nuts), and to our growing community of napoleonic enthusiasts.
Imperial thanks to you all ! Image

Installation

Before installing the new version, remove all previous NTW3 installations in your /napoleon total war/data folder. Just double click on the NTW3 uninstaller(s).

Run the installer & it will install/update NTW3 automatically, providing Napoleon :Total War is installed in the default location.

If it's not, you will just need to point the installer to the location & it will do the rest.
When you go to play use the NTW3 icon as usual.

If correctly installed you should see in the start-up screen a small red text saying MOD Version 5.0.

NTW3 version 5.0 Part 1

NTW3 version 5.0 Part 2

Mirrors:
NTW3 v5.0 Part 1

NTW3 v5.0 Part 2

User Interface Mod
If your screen resolution is above 1600, we highly recommend you to download this little mod that will greatly enhance your visual comfort in the Unit Selection Screen.
Just download, unpack and place into your /napoleon total war/data folder.

Download Pre-Battle Unit Selection mod

A big THANK YOU to the entire community for keeping this mod alive.

Vive l'Empereur & Vive le Rosebeef !,

The Lordz

http://www.TheLordz.org
To save Russia, we have to burn Moscow.

http://www.Grognards.org
http://www.Napoleon-Souvenirs.com

SirWolly
Villein
Villein

Re: NTW3 5.0 - Release Notes & Download Links

Postby SirWolly » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:38 am

First thank you for your hard and great work. I really appreciate it.
We tried to play a few games today and its quite nice. I personally have to get used
to this again. But no problem.
The only thing I am missing is the Firing-Target zones. I really liked to have them.
Just my humble opinion. Cheers.
First they ignore you.
Then they laugh at you.
Then they fight you.
Then you win.
Mahatma Gandhi

Lord Fullin
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord Fullin » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:38 am

The only thing I am missing is the Firing-Target zones. I really liked to have them.

We all diid, but deep down inside we knew it shouldnt be there.
Sauve qui peut!' 'Nous sommes trahis!'

Chromey
Baronet
Baronet

Postby Chromey » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:16 am

We must have ze firing cones Lord Fullin. without them.. I cannot play.
Death to Tyranny

Lord Davn

Postby Lord Davn » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:07 am

Nice job on the release notes Lib :mrgreen:

They didn't need them back in the day, just closed their eyes and pulled the trigger :neutral:

Last edited by Lord Davn on Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“This was their finest hour!” ~Winston Churchill

Wym...
Baronet
Baronet

Postby Wym... » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:05 am

Again I'm impressed,after 3 mp battles I'm getting the feel for the new changes.......I like the removal of the fire arcs..I personally would like to see the floating flags/moral bars likewise being removed for V6???Like everyone else I need more time to test the changes so..
"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but by God they frighten me"

CeltiberoFrog
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby CeltiberoFrog » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:35 pm

Thank you my Lordz !!

FOR THE LORDZ !!
Hip ! Hip ! Huurrrraaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !!

FOR THE NTWIII COMMUNITY !!
Hip ! Hip ! HHHuuuurrraaaaAAaaaahhhhhhhhhhh !!

FOR MY LIKELY UPCOMING DIVORCE !!
Hip ! Hip ! HHuuuuurrrRRrrraaaAAAAAAHHHhhhhhhhhhhhh !!

Lord Fullin
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord Fullin » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:38 pm

FOR MY LIKELY UPCOMING DIVORCE !!
Hip ! Hip ! HHuuuuurrrRRrrraaaAAAAAAHHHhhhhhhhhhhhh !!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Sauve qui peut!' 'Nous sommes trahis!'

Gonzo
Villein
Villein

Postby Gonzo » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:52 pm

Ottos now have not even one infantry that can form square? I mean, really?
Lancers seams to be so weak now.

Seimour01
Gentleman
Gentleman

Postby Seimour01 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:22 am

Not a big fan of having all the janissaries deploying stakes awith guerillas deployment as the ottomans. I think I'll abstain from using them from now on. It's not historically accurate for janissaries to fight like guerillas, nor is it for them to do any kind of field fortifications.

Otherwise, most of the V5 seems fairly enjoyable. I am not saying its perfect but it's not a step back either.

On the new Poland maps though, the terrain is simply dreadful. Mud, rivers, forests and so forth make them very unpleasant to navigate. It reminds me of Hohenliden in a way.
You can do anything with bayonets except sit on them.

Lord Avon Ulysses
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord Avon Ulysses » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:23 am

Not a big fan of having all the janissaries deploying stakes awith guerillas deployment as the ottomans. I think I'll abstain from using them from now on. It's not historically accurate for janissaries to fight like guerillas, nor is it for them to do any kind of field fortifications.

I am no expert on the Ottoman’s & we have been relying on others for much of the information we have used to make the faction.
From our understanding it seems that the Ott’s often fought their battles from a fortified position. They had ample troops & helpers capable of ‘digging in’.
They were not trained in European style anti-cav tactics (squares).
Their troops also operated in less disciplined firing lines that Europeans with more individual firing (skirmisher mode).

To portray this in-game we have allowed the Otts to deploy in their ‘fort’ at useful location. This means that most of their troops, excluding elite grade infantry, cavalry & cannon, can guerrilla deploy.
Most units can also lay down an entrenchment. One unit, the veteran Janissary, can deploy spikes, very important in NTW3 if they are to have some defence against cavalry.
These (spike) units are only available in limited numbers.
Most Ott’ infantry can use loose order to portray their fighting style. Janissaries’ cannot do this as they were better trained to fight in close order.
The Ottoman needs to use his plentiful cav, some of which are very able, to protect his weak infantry in the open.

This guerrilla deploying, fort building Ottoman army may seem overly strong compared to the V4 version. But compensating changes have been made to the troops:
They are weaker in melee & slightly weaker in shooting. None of their troops can form square. They retain their (generally) brittle morale.

It remains to be seen as to how this new style faction will effect game balance. In a 4v4 I fought over the weekend the ottoman ‘Maginot Line’ did not provide a problem. We attacked where it wasn’t & the Otts had to come out to aid their allies.
'Illegitimi non carborundum'

Falkonfive
Villein
Villein

Postby Falkonfive » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:46 am

Just a note to thank the Lordz team for all their efforts in continuing to produce what is without question still the benchmark for Napoleonic mods. Having been around this mod since the early days of NTW1 I think I speak for a lot of the 'older' generation who very much appreciate the work that's put into it.

I haven't yet had the chance to play Version 5 but it appears ( to us historical gamers ) to be an outstanding effort in the direction of authentic Napoleonic warfare simulation particularly in the introduction of set piece period armies.

I have no doubt that V5 will tempt a lot of players to return to NTW3 and for what it's worth us ' old school' types will do what we can to encourage them.

Once again, many thanks, it is appreciated.

F5

Lord Uxbridge
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord Uxbridge » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:59 am

Seimour01 wrote:Not a big fan of having all the janissaries deploying stakes awith guerillas deployment as the ottomans. I think I'll abstain from using them from now on. It's not historically accurate for janissaries to fight like guerillas, nor is it for them to do any kind of field fortifications.

What about Aboukir? From what I know of this battle the janissaries fought behind lines of entrenchments against Napoleon's expeditionary force. Initially this made life difficult for the French but when the janissaries decided to leave their trenches and go "headhunting" Murats cavalry charged in and dealt the killer blow.

ReloK
Villein
Villein

Postby ReloK » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:18 pm

Awesome job. I was testing this last v and in my humble opinion i can say that definitely Ntw3 is a work of art.

Thanks for ur time and effort.

husar70
Villein
Villein

Postby husar70 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:54 pm

A great job! Congratulations!

But i have 2 questions:

How can i play in SP-Campaigne a faction like Hannover, Brunswick or Berg? Is there a direct way from the menu or must i edit and change a file?

It is possible to fight a historic battle with the correct positions on the battlefield?
So, it is the right map but wrong troops or countries.

Answers are great!

From the Kingdom of Hannover
and the 2.Light Bat. Kings German Legion
Husar70

[300] Brune
Yeoman
Yeoman

Postby [300] Brune » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:26 pm

I'm really happy with this version so far, a big thanks for you inputs.

Things have moved in the right direction with the ottomans tough it still needs some rebalance imo.
I have some suggestions if you may considering them.
The skirmish and harrassing tactics were used by the turcs (see the war against the russians in the balkans) so it's a good idea to give the guerilla warfare ability to all their irregular troops and remove the ability to the janissaries. (they were not a swift force on campaign)

The ottomans usually enlist local peasants to build fortifications, camps, dig trenches, that kind of stuff. So why not remove any combat ability to the birkililer (the peasants) and give them forks, guerilla ability and various options to build. (spikes, barricades, redoubts)
It may be be more balance this way; either your bring a larger fighting force or a smaller with guerrilas and dig-in capabilities.

Most their cavalry is expansive crap (anything left to the mamluks), a slight buff in attack stats, or a slight decreased in prizes would be welcome. Morale might be too weak now, several times giving order to charge was enough to break my men, tough it needs more testing to be confirmed.

@Seimour, feel free to rewrite my points in a clearer way.

stilgar
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby stilgar » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:02 pm

Never been fan of guerrilla units, let alone factions: imo they work against FoW and LOC concept.
"Постой-ка, брат мусью ..."

mafala
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby mafala » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:10 pm

Thanks a lot for your work, Mylordz!

Many, many good things to say!!!

And only crappy small things like: Prussian veteran line and Brandenburger Regiment can´t square, only do this piq-thing.... haven´t they been better drilled?

cheers

Mafala

Lord Davn

Postby Lord Davn » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:20 pm

husar70 wrote:How can I play in SP-Campaign a faction like Hannover, Brunswick or Berg? Is there a direct way from the menu or must i edit and change a file?

From the Kingdom of Hannover & the 2.Light Bat. Kings German Legion
Husar70
Hannover can emerge as an independent faction during the 1805 campaign game, but they are not playable with this early Coalition Campaign. You would have to change the startpos.esf file which a royal pain in the rear end :confused:

The Brunswick & Duchy of Berg units are only recruitable when Britain (Hannover) or France (Cleves) occupies those regions. The same applies as above for modifying the startpos. esf file.
“This was their finest hour!” ~Winston Churchill

Seimour01
Gentleman
Gentleman

Postby Seimour01 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:32 pm

The Ottomans have moved a step forward but are not fully optimized just yet.
I have some suggestions that may pique your interest.
The hit and run tactics used by the Turks and their auxiliaries (see the war against the Russians in the balkans or in Austria) so it's a good idea to give guerilla deployment to all their irregular troops and remove the ability for the janissaries. (they were not a swift force on campaign or on the battlefield)However, the Sekban and other elite janissaries morale is riduculously low now. They were one of the only close to decent part of the corp.

The Ottomans usually enlisted(forced into) local peasants to build fortifications, camps, dig trenches and so forth. They did not ever do it themselves but they made use of them. So one could remove combat stats from the birkililer (the cheapest peasants) and give them forks or 1-3 accuracy, guerilla deployment and various building options. (stakes, barricades, mines)
It may be more balanced this way; either your bring a larger fighting force or a smaller one with guerrilas and dig-in capabilities. In my opinion, the turkish sappers(kazmaci) could be used in this role instead but since they did not carry any firearms, they would need to be either disarmed or rendered inaccurate. Their smaller size makes the stakes and baricades less powerful.

Most of their cavalry is expensive hogwash (anything left of the mamluks), a slight buff in attack stats, or a slight decrease in price would be welcome. Morale might be too weak now, several times giving order to charge was enough to break my men, though it needs more testing to be confirmed.

@Seimour, feel free to rewrite my points in a clearer way.
Done.

What about Aboukir? From what I know of this battle the janissaries fought behind lines of entrenchments against Napoleon's expeditionary force. Initially this made life difficult for the French but when the janissaries decided to leave their trenches and go "headhunting" Murats cavalry charged in and dealt the killer blow.

The janisaries fought behind fortifications but believe me when I say that they had the locals build it for them.

As for the comment against not having any counter-cavalry formation. Well, the cavalrymen was the first above all other soldier for most muslim countries. Therefore, infantry evolved along ways to counter them. This included thicker lines but mostly relied on the far heavier and larger calibers of guns used(often requiring a tripod) and well aimed shots that could easily kill a horse and stop a charge dead in its track. This can be simulated by forming into columns but I think that giving back the top tier janissaries the pike square would simulate this just as well because instant squares make sens for no european factions either.

Bayonet are EXTREMELY overated against cavalry in my opinion. The british broke the french cavalry at Dettingen using point blank volleys as wells but in the muslim world, Nader Shah crushed armies after armies of cavalry relying on this very tactic and the turks got the worst of it.

Having said that, janisaries should not be able to lay down stakes either. Any field work duty should never be caried out by janissaries. They had long stopped doing it before the napoleonic wars. Their engineer corp did direct the workers though.

Lord Uxbridge
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord Uxbridge » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:39 pm

Seimour01 wrote:

The janisaries fought behind fortifications but believe me when I say that they had the locals build it for them.

I don't think it really matters who built them, the fact is they used them.

Seimour01
Gentleman
Gentleman

Postby Seimour01 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:39 pm

Uxbridge wrote:
Seimour01 wrote:

The point is that we have the units who did build those fortifications in the rooster. Why not use them instead of using janissaries who are clearly fit for something else instead.

Lord Avon Ulysses
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord Avon Ulysses » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:20 am

The point is that we have the units who did build those fortifications in the rooster. Why not use them instead of using janissaries who are clearly fit for something else instead.

True, the janissaries wouldn’t of dug trenches / banged in spikes.
But this is a game with limitations.

A real janissary would have had a servant, he would be the one doing the manual labour. So just assume it’s those guys who do the work, then they scurry off to make their master’s dinner.

The reason I picked the veteran janissary for the spike capability was: We don’t want too many spikes, so it’s a unit with a fairly tight cap. It should be a unit that you would want to use.

The idea of using a crap unit as a quasi-engineer is a good one. We considered a similar concept, but didn’t want to hamstring the Ott’s with too many otherwise useless units.
As far as overall balance, decreasing the cost or improving the capabilities (as one poster suggested) of their cav is probably the way to do it, if they need a buff.
We will be looking with interest at player feedback on the Ott’s.

The main reason for the guerrilla capabilities for the Ott’s was not to allow for harassing tactics. It was to allow then to build a fort in a useful location. Of course we can’t stop people using them as they wish. But the Otts don’t work well in isolated positions, so this is probably a poor use of them anyway.
'Illegitimi non carborundum'

Lord Liberalis
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord Liberalis » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:45 am

Indeed Avon. We had a game with JC tonight, a 4vs4 playing as ottomans while intending to spam guerrilla capable troops and build a fort around a village. Brilliant fortifications, but in the end, any fortification can be circumvented by a little walk.

We lost. Why ? Because the Napoleonic Wars are all about mobility, pragmatism and forced marches. I think this is perfectly well portrayed in game.
The battle we had tonight, is the living proof that no fortification will save you. I guess that's why Sparta did bet on their men rather then on some static wall. :smile:
To save Russia, we have to burn Moscow.

http://www.Grognards.org
http://www.Napoleon-Souvenirs.com

Harout
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Location: Batavian Republic - Kingdom of Holland - Kingdom of the United Netherlands

Postby Harout » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:18 pm

Lord Liberalis wrote:Indeed Avon. We had a game with JC tonight, a 4vs4 playing as ottomans while intending to spam guerrilla capable troops and build a fort around a village. Brilliant fortifications, but in the end, any fortification can be circumvented by a little walk.

We lost. Why ? Because the Napoleonic Wars are all about mobility, pragmatism and forced marches. I think this is perfectly well portrayed in game.
The battle we had tonight, is the living proof that no fortification will save you. I guess that's why Sparta did bet on their men rather then on some static wall. :smile:

You are confused Liberalis. The mobility of which the era is famous for was not acted out on the tactical level, but on the strategic level. French infantry men didnt win battles because they were able to run away from a melee charge. They won battles because they outmanoeuvred an entire army on strategic level. Not fellow human beings in an Olympic tournament. By that logic the Neapolitan Africa legion should be the fastest unit in the game. The speed bonus for the French Super man is unjustified. But there is no doubt that the twitchy, micro intensive mechanics are fantastically fun to play.

Return to “NTW3 Release Archives”