Historical Battles (HB) rules (Oct 2016)

For all discussions about Napoleon's Eagles, the historical companion to classic NTW3.
stilgar
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Historical Battles (HB) rules (Oct 2016)

Postby stilgar » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:26 pm

The rules to be observed in HB (updated Oct 2016)

LCS SQUARE: Square can be formed only by a static squared shape column (or as close to square shape as possible but then the front of the column should be shorter than depth).
When player hits the button, men must be idle and aligned in column and not marching (see the picture below).

NO EMBEDDED ARTILLERY: Unlimbered firing artillery CANNOT be intermixed with static infantry (exception 3lber regimental artillery). Infantry can move through artillery train and crew to defend the guns but not stop on battery when battery is firing.

NO SNIPING GENERAL: No direct fire on generals by artillery.

MAX ONE LINE UNIT PER BUILDING: Just one unit can occupy a building. Loc unit does not count. Max two unit can assault a building, but LOC must be assaulted by at least 2 line units (tiralleurs or skirmishers cannot attack LOC).

NO CHARGE THROUGH FRIENDLY UNITS: Players should avoid charging/moving cavalry through the ranks of friendly non routing infantry units. Charging/moving through friendly routed infantry units is allowed. Charging on the rear/flank of an enemy unit engaged in melee on the front is allowed.

N.B. These rules have been designed (and extensively tested by the community) to either compensate for the engine limitations and for poor game design solutions (e.g., instant square, lack of objectives etc) or to make the NTW battlefield look a bit more realistic. Any rules can be used as long as all players agree on those rules before start of game. However, notice that the unit stats are built around LCS rule and ignoring it would result in an unbalanced battle mechanics.

Picture below shows which column formations are acceptable.

Last edited by stilgar on Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Постой-ка, брат мусью ..."

stilgar
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Historical Battles (HB) rules (Oct 2016)

Postby stilgar » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:31 pm

Reserved.

Lord Desaix
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord Desaix » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:08 pm

I've read complains about cavalry tiring too fast. This debuff in V7.0 has been already increased as well as the effects of fatigue on accuracy and speed and melee. Cavalry and infantry fatigue represents the unit cohesion and disorder, not only the fatigue status of horses and men. The use of reserves to perform repetitive charges is mandatory. One cannot pretend to run cavalry for miles and then pretend to charge. The normal pace of cavalry is walk, I'd use run just for the last hundred metres before contact to avoid tiring cavalry more than necessary. Remember horses were fragile animals, the great cavalry at Eylau resulted in cavalry involved almost lost for the whole morning.
Same at Austerlitz for the russian&austrian cavalry. Same at Auerstadt by the prussian cavalry. The repetitive charges there and at Waterloo had not being performed by the same two regiments charging for two hours but by waves of regiments charging and recovering and many times trot was employed as charging pace to loose cohesion.

Sloop
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Sloop » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:42 am

Rules.

Where is that decrepit, senile, decomposing corpse and my dear friend Gunner anyway?

stilgar
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby stilgar » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:44 am

Rules indeed.

Feeling lonely, Sloop? Those "old and whining rule fetishists" made you feel younger and more reckless, did they not? :wink:

Lord Lancier

Postby Lord Lancier » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:08 pm

I think Gunner left the mod forever ..? even the slow RegMod could not convince him for a return.
Battle on ..!
The Wargaming Club (TWC)
http://www.thewargamingclub.com

Sloop
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Sloop » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:09 am

stilgar wrote:Rules indeed.

Feeling lonely, Sloop? Those "old and whining rule fetishists" made you feel younger and more reckless, did they not? :wink:

I suppose you are correct Stilgar, I do not "feel," I am younger and more restless... and better looking. I must also suppose that you are growing long in the tooth as well.

Lord Desaix
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord Desaix » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:46 pm

Gunner is waiting for Godot...who he calls HistWar in his nightmares :mrgreen:

Lord Gunner24
Baronet
Baronet

Postby Lord Gunner24 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:33 pm

Hello everyone, I am still hanging around watching things from very long range through my telescope.

I have not seen any mention about the RM, good or bad......what happened to that ?.

I no longer have a PC capable of "gaming".....just a cheap laptop.

As for HW, well, its a long story...................................need say no more about that.

Good luck with hb's, but I see all the old stuff keeps re-cycling around and around.

Have a good 2017.
Gunner24
NBC founder 2008-2017.
http://napbc.freeforums.org/

Sloop
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Sloop » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:21 pm

Hah! I new that sooner or later the ole badger would scurry out of his hole.

Lord Desaix
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord Desaix » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:52 am

Let's see it positively: any past year is a year closer to retirement where I will have plenty of time, heaven permitting, to play the next decade awesome napoleonic game. Let's hope in ten years will no more have to cope with lag and crashes. I know we'll meet Gunner there eventually...

Sloop
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Sloop » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:35 am

Desiax, I can see it now, we'll roll wheelchairs to the activity room, Gunner with his oxygen tank, and play NTW2.

Lord Lancier

Postby Lord Lancier » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:19 am

:lol: It is good to see old friends still around and great to feel the sense of humor in the air, still. ^^ Those were the days anyway.
Battle on ..!
The Wargaming Club (TWC)
http://www.thewargamingclub.com

Return to “NTW3 Historical Battles Room”