Video: Why you have to try NTW3 mod

For all info, download links and general discussions on NTW3.
Southpaw
Villein
Villein

Video: Why you have to try NTW3 mod

Postby Southpaw » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:57 am

I made this video last night hoping to encourage people to try this brilliant mod. Share it around if you'd like. I think it does a good job of convincing people to give it a go. Good way of persuading that friend who is on the fence.

On that note (and I've seen it said on these forums before) I think there needs to be a quick and easy 1-page thing on the forum (and on mod DB if possible) that explains very briefly what you need to get the latest version of the mod working! A 20-minute video on how to install it is too long and unnecessary and will scare away most players! I only say this because I love the mod so much and want more people playing it. A short, simple list that explains how to get it all working would be great. Also, nothing ever explained how the brilliant historical battles work. I played this mod for MONTHS before I discovered the large-scale historical battles. It's very counter-intuitive, so there needs to be simple instructions for these things! Don't just assume people already know this stuff or that they'll bother trawling through these forums to find these things-- they probably won't. Ok rant over.

Thanks again devs for this wonderful mod, this video is my love letter to you.

Ztrain909
Yeoman
Yeoman

Re: Video: Why you have to try NTW3 mod

Postby Ztrain909 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:12 am

If this isn't short enough, I don't know what is.

Download and installation

Download NTW3 version 7.2 installer (1.90 Gb) from here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/napoleonic-to ... w372setupb
It's a standalone version, you don't need any previous version installed. If you have one, uninstall it.
Launch NTW3-7.2-setup.exe, choose your language.
Select your own NTW root directory (by default "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Napoleon Total War")
Wait casually during installation process.
Launch the "NTW3 v7.2" shortcut on your desktop, or Napoleonic Total War III.exe in /data/NTW3/Launcher folder.

The problem is most people are either stupid and can't read correctly or they're impatient and DON'T read post after post after post of responses from the Lordz about " NO OTHER MODS CAN BE INSTALLED WITH NTW3!" Maybe they should add that one line to the download and installation description.

Great video btw. Well done!

Lord Cosak
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord Cosak » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:48 am

Many thanks to Southpaw for his very helpful contribution.

For now the Lordz webiste in mostly a forum. This very forum is full of (very) old stuff who needs to be archived and sorted, to clean up the whole thing. A quick how-to, FAQ, and video presentation (like this one, or more detailed ones) about the various options (classic MP, scenarios, HBs, campaign) would be a good addition, but we are short of time and our team is small.

Lord Liberalis
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord Liberalis » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:12 pm

Excellent ! Shared on the Lordz Facebook page : https://www.facebook.com/TheLordz.NTW3/?ref=settings
To save Russia, we have to burn Moscow.

http://www.Grognards.org
http://www.Napoleon-Souvenirs.com

Southpaw
Villein
Villein

Postby Southpaw » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:30 am

Ztrain909 wrote:If this isn't short enough, I don't know what is.

" NO OTHER MODS CAN BE INSTALLED WITH NTW3!" Maybe they should add that one line to the download and installation description.

I agree, that part should be added. Also, there is no description there on how to install the HB launcher. There's needs to be a short, simple guide for that too, and most importantly, it needs to be right next to wherever people click the download link, so they don't have to go searching around for it. My main problem has been just having to find the information, and it's not always easy on these forums. If we can keep all of the essential info right there by the download description, then all the lengthy details like new armies, etc. in a "Show more" spoiler or on a "click here for mod features" type thing, I think that would work well.

Lord Cosak wrote:
A quick how-to, FAQ, and video presentation (like this one, or more detailed ones) about the various options (classic MP, scenarios, HBs, campaign) would be a good addition, but we are short of time and our team is small.

I agree. I may not be the man to do it, seeing as I really only play HBs, but I'm happy to help out where I can. Thanks again, I hope to see you guys on the battlefield soon :smile:

Ztrain909
Yeoman
Yeoman

Postby Ztrain909 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:35 am

Southpaw wrote:there is no description there on how to install the HB launcher. it needs to be right next to wherever people click the download link, so they don't have to go searching around for it. My main problem has been just having to find the information, and it's not always easy on these forums.

Disclaimer : I am not a representative of the Lordz or their mod. I don't speak for them nor I am any part of this community(clans, etc) other than an avid fan of the mod.

With all due respect, don't take this personal it's not directed at you, only the argument you give for people having difficulties.Gimme a freakin break!

God forbid anyone should toil and agonize over finding the correct information about this mod. " Say it isn't so, I actually have to take 20 WHOLE minutes out of my life to watch a how to install video, noooooooooo!!!" I forget we live in an " instant gratification" society where no one should have to suffer any kind of time lapse in getting what they need. Do we need to rent out some " safe spaces" now for those with " It's taking me time to do some searching to get this mod working syndrome?"

The Lordz are lucky I don't speak for them in any capacity because my responses to people who complain about searching through some post's or having to do a couple different things to enjoy a FREE product would basically look like this........... @#$^&!&*%#@#$#!&!#*&#@

Remember, this is not directed at you only the argument.

Lord Cosak
Lord
Lord

Postby Lord Cosak » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:37 pm

Easy...

You are both right.

On one hand NTW3 is a free mod who cost all Lordz a lot of efforts, arguments and time. So we are indeed bothered by people who b***h around without even reading the basic recommendations. Working for free and getting scolded for poor customer service is pissing me off.

Ztrain is right.

On the other hand the mod wouldn't exist with a community of players. And a community can't exist if the product (the mod) is not attractive. One aspect of this attraction are players themselves: I posted some weeks ago about NTW3 clans who should be more fair-play with beginners. Another aspect is just marketing: explaining what this mod is about (what is classsic? what is HB? what is a scenario?) Some people in my own clan (Grognards) still don't know the difference between HB and scenarios...

Southpaw is right about NTW3's lack of "user-friendly introduction" (sorry for my English, I know it sounds clumsy).

So it would be good to have a video in English explaining the difference between:
  • Classic battles: pick any army, everyone has same resources, and kill'em all
  • Classic battles with LOC: same as previous, but building-control-oriented
  • Scenarios: arrmies are preset, 95% of them based on real OOB, deploy zones are preset, troops can be slightly moved before battle starts, and then it's played like classic LOC
  • HB: like scenarios, with more accurate regimental naming, troops can't be relocated before battle, delays and engagement rules must be followed by players (NTW engine can't handle them by itself), with an extra set of rules (like LCS for squares).

Videos presenting nations would be great too... Why France 1799 is so fast and Austria is so slow? Why Prussia 1806 morale is so shaky? Why Russian accuracy is normal but they reload so slow? What is Septinsular Republic? What is "Russkyi Narod"? Who are these Arab horsemen? Why are there three Napoleons in France 1799' roster? Most of these questions have both historical and gameplay answers.

We are aware of such needs, even for veteran players, I'd be very glad to provide some text and explanations about the mod, but my English is not fluent enough to even consider doing such a video by myself.

Return to “The Napoleonic TW 3 Room”